Frustrations with DAC's / TV's - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a cable box by motorola which has no model number on it? I searched all the codes on it and couldn't find it. The one I was thinking of is:
http://www.shaw.ca/television/equipment/hd-set-top-box/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jones View Post

I currently have a cable box by Motorola which has no model number on it? I searched all the codes on it and couldn't find it. The one I was thinking of is:

I sometimes wonder. The indicated page calls the Shaw STB a DCX3200-M. Googling on DCX3200-M got me a link to a number of Motorola and cable company web site copies of its user manual. For example:

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/DCX3200_user_guide.pdf

I trust you posted the OP late at night or early in the morning before your first cup of coffee? ;-)

What am I missing here?
post #33 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Did you go into the menu of your current cable box and see if you can set it to PCM?
What benefit would a newer cable box give you (more chennels, higher resolution but your already 720p already right)?

I'm not seeing spending 150 when it doesn't solve your problem. For 50 your done with this but maybe flipping a switch. For 80 your done with this...wait where did that apple tv come from? I thought it was just TV and AAE. So now maybe you need one DC07 and two DC03, 110. Plus each new component provides a new feature, nice.
post #34 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Optical is OK as long as you can set the cable box output to PCM, not DD 5.1, which should always be possible. Or, if you are routing the cable box audio through the TV, it's likely limited to stereo PCM already.

It would be helpful to know what devices is have and how you have them connected. Those details make a difference.

This is a good point, often overlooked until finding out a simple DAC (simple meaning no Dolby decoder) may not work on all channels if you can't force PCM.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #35 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

I currently have a cable box by Motorola which has no model number on it? I searched all the codes on it and couldn't find it. The one I was thinking of is:

I sometimes wonder. The indicated page calls the Shaw STB a DCX3200-M. Googling on DCX3200-M got me a link to a number of Motorola and cable company web site copies of its user manual. For example:

http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/tv/equipment/user_guides/cable_box/DCX3200_user_guide.pdf

I trust you posted the OP late at night or early in the morning before your first cup of coffee? ;-)

What am I missing here?

Arnyk, that's a link to my cable box which has every kind of out I can think is within reason. That's not what OP has.

Speaking of OP, status? MIA?
post #36 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Arnyk, that's a link to my cable box which has every kind of out I can think is within reason. That's not what OP has.

Not MIA just crazy busy at work. Sorry. I never found the terms PCM, and the others. However under audio settings I just found Audio Output which is on TV speakers, when I set it to "stereo" the sound changed and sounded like it was coming from two of the farthest points on the TV. Is this what you guys we're looking for? I hope this is good news!
post #37 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

This is not my cable box, I'll look high and low to find mine!
post #38 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 128
What TV do you have?
post #39 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Not MIA just crazy busy at work. Sorry. I never found the terms PCM, and the others. However under audio settings I just found Audio Output which is on TV speakers, when I set it to "stereo" the sound changed and sounded like it was coming from two of the farthest points on the TV. Is this what you guys we're looking for? I hope this is good news!

Was this a change to the settings in your cable box or TV?
post #40 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What TV do you have?
Quote:

TV Model is a 32" Class Viera® C22 Series 720p LCD TV.
post #41 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to the cable guide then went to settings from there and changed the settings. Other things were parental controls etc, so I'm confident I was in cable box settings.
post #42 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I went to the cable guide then went to settings from there and changed the settings. Other things were parental controls etc, so I'm confident I was in cable box settings.

Schweet.

So What that means is that $28 Fii0 D03 will work just fine for your TV situation. If you hook up an OTA antenna then that won't work for some channels. For DVD or Blue ray players you just have to go into the settings and force the "Stereo" "PCM" or "2.0" setting... basically anything other then DD5.1. The description of the setting is even uglier in Blue Ray menu's cause there are so many more options, but it can do it.

So 1-3 $28 Fii0 D03 will have you happy
post #43 of 48 Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

So DAC #1 for the TV and maybe #2 for the AAE / ATV. Now finally I also have an Xbox 360, I'm sure I can force audio settings on that too, could the sound go through DAC #1 because it would still be using the audio out from the TV?
post #44 of 48 Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Panasonic TVs do not output DD from external devices. Any device attached to your TV will be limited to stereo, which is a drawback for most people, but a benefit for you. You don't need to force stereo on any device connected to the TV because the HDMI handshake will do that for you.
post #45 of 48 Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

So what did you end up with OP?
post #46 of 48 Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

mini to RCA for the AAE
and a cheap FiiO D3, waiting for the dac to be shipped!

Thanks for all the help!
post #47 of 48 Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 361
OP you can plug just plug TV optical out into the optical in (Toslink ) on Your DAC and of course your RCA outs to your amp. the FiiO D3 has Optical and Coax inputs. Set your TV out in the audio settings to PCM out not Dolby surround and you are good to go.

lotta folks like the fiiO stuff.

You can get a Toslink cable at Best buy or Ratshack,Amazon or Monoprice. You can probably get something decent on line for $5.00 or
$6.00.

This Toslink switch (see below) might work if you need more than one Toslink input to your DAC input You can get a USB 3 or 4 port extender cheap a few dollars is all. if you need it.

Toslink and Coax are the preferred digital connections followed by USB You can flip a coin as to the merits of Toslink vs Coax some do prefer coax they are both digital connections and should be functionally equivalent. I'm sure Coax switches are avail should you need one

Toslink switch
"Connect 3 optical components to 1 unit with this easy-to-use, locking rotary switch"
$5.28 at Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

A black one 19.99 & FREE Shipping at Amazon that actually might be OK considering the free shipping .
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28734-Explorer-Selector/dp/B0002OF2FC

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #48 of 48 Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

So, How's the result?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page