Throwing receiver through window in 24 Hrs Please keep me from doing so... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im having a really hard time diagnosing a LOUD hissing sound coming through all speakers.
Noise is a Hissing. NOT humming, NOT white noise. When the volume goes up so does the hiss, Running audyssey makes the noise louder as does turning up treble and dynamic eq.

So far here is what i have been through, on my 3rd Onkyo 818, All replaced under warranty. So far the first receiver was tested to be defective, I still have the other 2 in my basement. ( technically returning number 2, Bought the 3rd one outright).
Have taken the 818 to sound world where i bought my paradigm speakers and made the same noise there on their speakers, wires, power.
Have grounded the back of the receiver directly to a copper pipe in my house.
Have shut off all breakers on my panel in my house.
Makes the noise with nothing else connected except speakers, no HDMI, Antenna, RCA Nothing else connected.
Plugged into different outlets in the house, no power conditioner, new surge protector, reset the 818, reran audyssey, tried different speaker wire.

What am I missing what else can i check, Can a ground loop cause hissing? Will a ground loop issue permanently damage a receiver? (tested by taking receiver to speaker dealer)

Im ready to burn my recently built dedicated HT room to the ground.

Onkyo 818
7 speaker setup, Sub hasent been hooked up yet.
Paradigm Monitor 11s
Center 3
Surround 3s

Currently running the receiver on its own 20 AMP dedicated circuit, through a panamax 4300, NOTHING else is plugged into this circuit.

I might run to best buy purchase a yamaha or something and see if it makes noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If you disconnected literally everything from the receiver and it still makes a loud hissing noise, then the receiver is broken.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I would ask Onkyo for a different model or for my money back so you can buy something else.. The 818 apparently has issues.

My Room
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/817205-my-listening-room.html

My Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/~jim1961

My Equipment

Rega - Apollo
Rega - DAC
Goldpoint Passive
(2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next ( http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-NEXT.htm )
post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Just borrowed an onkyo 313 from a friend, It didn't make any bad noises smile.gif
Also brought the 818 to his house and it made the same sounds there...

Im still waving the white flag for the 818 even though people claim its a great receiver, Now the search process begins again, anyone have suggestions?
Trying to limit myself under $1k for a 7 channel receiver. Doesnt need to be 'smart' or have any form of airplay/apps.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsideways87 View Post

Just borrowed an onkyo 313 from a friend, It didn't make any bad noises smile.gif
Also brought the 818 to his house and it made the same sounds there...

Im still waving the white flag for the 818 even though people claim its a great receiver, Now the search process begins again, anyone have suggestions?
Trying to limit myself under $1k for a 7 channel receiver. Doesnt need to be 'smart' or have any form of airplay/apps.

The 818 might be a bad sample of a great AVR.

What keeps you from trying another one?

What about a warranty fix for the 818?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked: 15
I opted against onkyo because of all of the issues this years models seem to have. After researching all the current models and brands I went with a marantz 5007 and havent had any issues at all. Very pleased with it.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The 818 might be a bad sample of a great AVR.

What keeps you from trying another one?

What about a warranty fix for the 818?

I've been through 3 In a row with the same issue. Which the first one was received back by the selling dealer and was indeed defective. The other 2 are in transit as of this morning.

After contacting onkyo directly they wanted nothing to do with helping me because they simply had exhausted every troubleshooting thing they could. And weren't interested in trying to further help an unhappy customer besides telling me to send it back to the company i bought it from and get a new one...

I've been through my setup exhaustively, Confirming it wasn't an issue with my setup after trying both a 313 and 508 (besides all the other testing from my first post) from a friend that had no issues here at my house, and my 818 made the same noises at his place.

The company I bought the 818 from was sick of shipping new ones and said it obviously must be incompatible with my system ( Paradigm speakers, Panasonic plasma, Sony Bluray, Panamax Conditioner, dedicated circuit in a 6 year old home...) And didn't want to send anymore units to me and suggested trying a different receiver and just refunding me for my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

I opted against onkyo because of all of the issues this years models seem to have. After researching all the current models and brands I went with a marantz 5007 and havent had any issues at all. Very pleased with it.

I was initially impressed with all the glowing reviews of the 818 It sounded great aside from the hissing and the price point was excellent. But im fairly upset with the customer service of both onkyo and the dealer due to the fact that everything on my end was fine. I would assume it might be a bad run of 818s or the company I ordered from has them stored or shipped in extreme conditions, Moist, cold, or poor handling, although I'm shocked no-one online seems to have had this problem and onkyo CS claims to have never heard of this problem.

I reviewed the Marantz 5007 heavily and also the Sony 5700ES along with a Yamaha 1020.

I decided to buy the sony this morning mostly due to the fact that i don't need any video processing and the price of 699 (locally) for such a great receiver was hard to pass up, The 5 year warranty and lack of issues being reported was encouraging as well. The Marantz and Yamaha were a coin flip to me for similar reasons.

Hopefully can Finally have my HT room up and running this week after a 2 month build/fitting process!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page