High in wall speaker setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a condo and would like to set up a 5.1 In wall or On wall surround sound setup. I have a budget of $2,000 for the speakers that will be powered by a Onkyo TX-NR809. Below is a pic of the the living room. I plan on mounting the TV to the left of the fireplace. This section of the wall is 50 inches and the TV will not leave any room for speakers to the left or right of it. I wanted to mount the Left and Right channels in the upper corners of the room (9ft from the ground). Back left corner of room has two levels of windows to deal with (see 2nd pic below). Setup has to be wifey friendly (She wants paint-able in walls, but... ). The room is roughly 20 feet high x 16 ft x 12ft. Someone mentioned to get the monoprice in wall speakers, but how will they sound if they are mounted 9.5 feet from the ground?

Thanks in advance for your help!,
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well, I do not see a second pic.
IMO, 9 ft is way too high, I would not even want surrounds that high. Considering the wall layout, I would opt for a sound bar for the LCRs, placed right below the screen.
Then do whatever you have to do for the surrounds.
You also do not say where you plan to place the AVR. Could be a problem with wiring.
I think some sound bars are self powered and can be connected to the TV audio out.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
+1 to exploring the area below the TV, be it for soundbar or in-walls.

Next, consider expected listening/viewing area ear height vs. speaker height - why I like below TV. You'd like tweeters at ear level, and you can get closer under the TV.

Finally, avoid directional designs unless you can point them at the listening/viewing area. Specifically, MTMs have altered response above and below tweeter height and must be aimed at the seating area for proper frequency response. Even TMs at 9.5' should be tilted down, but a flush-mounted MTM at that height is a bad idea.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 8 Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

As to your $2000 speaker budget, you don't mention wanting a sub, but I assume you do.
But for the part of the budget going to the soundbar, surrounds, the majority should be spent on the soundbar.
Like any other type of speaker, there are just ok, better, best soundbars...so don't skimp there. That is the majority of where the sound comes from.

I just came across this HK soundbar, you might want to check it out....all 5 channels plus a wireless sub.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/Search_Browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=SB%2030&status=
post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I already have a 12inch ported sub from sts. Behind the tv is a pantry, which is where I was planing on placing the receiver. I will look into sound bars. Thanks for your reply's.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I mean a svs sub. I was leaning towards one of GoldenEar's new SuperCinema 3D passive lcr sound bars under the tv. Thoughts?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have zero knowledge about any SB, as far as hands on experience.
But from what I read, the GE and HK soundbars both won CES awards in 2012.
So the only way to know if they are really any good or which is better, would be to audition them, preferably in your home.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
In Wall Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page