Amp turn on popping damaging to headphones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Got one of these C&C BH headphone amplifiers. I really like it, but it does have an annoying fairly high pitched pop when turning it on if the source is connected. It's immediately at turn on, before the volume is even up, without the source even playing.

Is there potential for that popping sound to damage high sensitivity IEMs? I guess it might depend on how loud it is, but just curious about the science behind this and how it affects headphones. My subwoofer amp does it, too, and I know other full range amps can do it. Have always been curious.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldn't say that I am an expert in this field (or even in these forums, seeing as this is my first post), but to my knowledge and experience, it is not wise to turn on your source after your amp is on (with headphones connected).

The correct procedure would be to turn on your source, then amplifier then plug in headphones.

Powering of the audio card (and power loss) in any device will create a popping pretty much every time. If I were you, I would only plug in my headphones after I knew that everything else was on. I have experienced this second hand and I know that to much popping at excessive volume can cause your drivers to blow.

The same happens to me when I reboot my source and forget to turn off my Bryston amp, even when it's not loud, hearing PMC IB1s pop is a very scary experience.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah. I've read about that. Just curious whether or not the audio science supports that common recommendation.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #4 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure what the science is on that. Maybe a surge of power when you first turn it on? All I know is better safe than sorry.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The answer is "it depends". And the "depends" in this case is how much voltage is it actually producing? It will probably not be an easy thing to measure (using normal meters).

And then you also need to know the ACTUAL (not rated) impedance of your heaphones and what their specs are-regarding power capacity.

So yes it can-but will it? Hard to say-without a lot more detailed information.

Maybe you should just plug in the headphones AFTER it is turned on.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #6 of 6 Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

Maybe you should just plug in the headphones AFTER it is turned on.

Well, sure, if they are not already plugged in. But a lot of times the setup is ready to use. Just has to be turned on. That's why I was curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

The answer is "it depends". And the "depends" in this case is how much voltage is it actually producing? It will probably not be an easy thing to measure (using normal meters).

And then you also need to know the ACTUAL (not rated) impedance of your heaphones and what their specs are-regarding power capacity.

So yes it can-but will it? Hard to say-without a lot more detailed information.

And if the audible pop is not as loud as you can turn the amp up and get clean sound from the headphones?

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page