Pioneer amp to logitech speakers, can it be done? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Got a question I just want to put out there, and see what people opinions are.
Sorry for the long read, just trying to paint the picture.

I have been running a logitech z-680 system for my surround sound now for quite some time (link below)

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-680/4505-3179_7-20720043.html

With the advent of hdmi creeping into all aspects of my home theater setup and blu ray technology. I need a receiver to handle it all. Whilst trying to use what I already have for as long as I can.

I have a samsung led TV, the pictures fine but for $1600 I only got 2hdmi ports. Pretty weak samsung.
Rest of my gear is xbox360 a WDTV live box with hard drive containing all my dvd rips so far. With future plans to integrate a blu ray player, upgrade hard drive to a NAS then build a HTPC to change out the WDTV. And of course upgrade the speakers All of this to take place as funds become available.

One might ask why bother with the blu ray, just rip and use the WDTV / HTPC. Simple really as tech forward as I make the set up I still want to have the low tech back up. Case and point, I host a movie night and the media centre cant find the NAS on the network. No problem, pull out the DVD or blu ray, and hit play. Worry about the problem the next morning.

Back to it

The logitech system only has 1 toslink input so I'm constantly switching the cable over from the WDTV and Xbox360 when I need to use the surround sound.

I want to get the Pioneer VSX527 av receiver (link below)

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/VSX-527-K/specs.html

I like this receiver as its 5.1 suits me as we dont have the room for 7.1 or 9.1 (I'm in a rental house) The unit has enough hdmi ports to cover everything now and future, contains an ethernet port and best of all passive passthrough. In standy all hdmi signals will reach the tv. Its a glorified hdmi switcher.

For the short term, would it be ok to run the logitech speakers with the pioneer amp, excluding the sub. I have access to a wharfedale sub from many years ago that can be slotted into the mix.

The specs on the logitech system are as follows (taken from the manual)

Total rms power 505 watts

Sub 188 watts rms
Satellites 317 watts rms
fronts & rears - 4 x 62 w
center 69 w
It then states "into 8ohms at 1 KHz at 10% THD
Total peak power 1000 watts <10% THD

To my thinking, reciever 6ohms into speakers at 8ohms is ok.

The pioneer has 130w per channel output, the speakers are 62w(front and rears) and 69w(centre)

So the amp will be well under worked with the potential to blow the speakers if I crank the volume.

I'm aware about destroying the speakers so most of the time it will be at a pleasant volume.

At current simple TV series watching is done through the speakers on the TV, when the movie is on we use surround sound and occasionally with gaming as well. But for the gaming side we also have the option of the Turtle beach surround sound headphones I already have. Good for early AM gaming and not disturbing the rest of the house.

Thank you for any feed back you can send my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet vort View Post

Hello all,

Got a question I just want to put out there, and see what people opinions are.
Sorry for the long read, just trying to paint the picture.

I have been running a logitech z-680 system for my surround sound now for quite some time (link below)

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-680/4505-3179_7-20720043.html

With the advent of hdmi creeping into all aspects of my home theater setup and blu ray technology. I need a receiver to handle it all. Whilst trying to use what I already have for as long as I can.

I have a samsung led TV, the pictures fine but for $1600 I only got 2hdmi ports. Pretty weak samsung.
Rest of my gear is xbox360 a WDTV live box with hard drive containing all my dvd rips so far. With future plans to integrate a blu ray player, upgrade hard drive to a NAS then build a HTPC to change out the WDTV. And of course upgrade the speakers All of this to take place as funds become available.

One might ask why bother with the blu ray, just rip and use the WDTV / HTPC. Simple really as tech forward as I make the set up I still want to have the low tech back up. Case and point, I host a movie night and the media centre cant find the NAS on the network. No problem, pull out the DVD or blu ray, and hit play. Worry about the problem the next morning.

Back to it

The logitech system only has 1 toslink input so I'm constantly switching the cable over from the WDTV and Xbox360 when I need to use the surround sound.

I want to get the Pioneer VSX527 av receiver (link below)

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/VSX-527-K/specs.html

I like this receiver as its 5.1 suits me as we dont have the room for 7.1 or 9.1 (I'm in a rental house) The unit has enough hdmi ports to cover everything now and future, contains an ethernet port and best of all passive passthrough. In standy all hdmi signals will reach the tv. Its a glorified hdmi switcher.

For the short term, would it be ok to run the logitech speakers with the pioneer amp, excluding the sub. I have access to a wharfedale sub from many years ago that can be slotted into the mix.

The specs on the logitech system are as follows (taken from the manual)

Total rms power 505 watts

Sub 188 watts rms
Satellites 317 watts rms
fronts & rears - 4 x 62 w
center 69 w
It then states "into 8ohms at 1 KHz at 10% THD
Total peak power 1000 watts <10% THD

To my thinking, reciever 6ohms into speakers at 8ohms is ok.

The pioneer has 130w per channel output, the speakers are 62w(front and rears) and 69w(centre)

So the amp will be well under worked with the potential to blow the speakers if I crank the volume.

I'm aware about destroying the speakers so most of the time it will be at a pleasant volume.

At current simple TV series watching is done through the speakers on the TV, when the movie is on we use surround sound and occasionally with gaming as well. But for the gaming side we also have the option of the Turtle beach surround sound headphones I already have. Good for early AM gaming and not disturbing the rest of the house.

Thank you for any feed back you can send my way.

Your biggest problem is the fact that your Logitech system is a powered system with integrated amplifiers that probably include equalization that is tailored to the speakers.

The smaller speakers may be passive all by themselves so you could conceivably cut their cables, strip them and attach them to the AVR. I guess that with suitable adapters you might be able to do something similar with the LFE output of the AVR and the Logitech sub.

One word: Kluge.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page