REW results now what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Guys please don't beat me up. I been reading tons of post and really cant wrap my head around it all. One question I can't figure out.

REW measures response. So basically you use it to make adjustments to position, adding trap, audyssey on/off and etc. but once you get those results. Can you manually tweak your crossover setting for your speakers? Like how audyssey will adjust the hz and tone then in? I'm just not exactly clear how I can make room adjustments if I have to use audyssey. I hope I am making sense. Any help will be great. I just ordered all the parts I need to get started. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well you can run audyssey, measure, try toe in, run audyssey, measure and compare... However the general rule of thumb is use REW and the tools at hand (placement, manual EQ, treatment placement, toe in, and such) to get the best frequency response and other measurements possible with audyssey off. Then run audyssey and verify yup that's the best end result yet. There are situations and folks that recommend manual EQ after audyssey though. Which ones right for you? Easy answer, measure.

One common thing to do with REW is tweak the transition range between subs and mains. One way to go about it... you do a audyssey min run to get the distance and level recommendations ballpark right, then turn audyssey off and tweak distance / phase while doing multiple measurements to get the best possible, then re-run audyssey. After the full up run you put the distance and levels back to what you determined was actually best (audyssey is generally pretty good at this but you can make some improvements)...always do an end measurement and check, is that better then the previous best? Do I really like the sound better is an important question to but in general if it measures better it sounds better and if it doesn't commonly it just takes a little time getting used to it and you will usually realize it does sound better. but if not, you're the one listening to it and it's about what you like.

Hmm contemplating new speaker X, or amp y, or cable Z, or component B... put it in your system, break out REW and measure. Is it better? is the improvement worth the cost? Do speakers matter? Do cables matter? What about amps matters? How much is this dac helping over the one in my AVR?

Keep toying with REW and reading. It is an invaluable tool, i enjoy doing the tweaking, and can't imagine going back to no measurements throwing money at "upgrades" fairly blindly mostly based on the "helpful" advice of the "experts" at the high end store who would never steer me wrong even though their salary depended on it.

Don't look at it as a set it up run it and tweak for an hour or three, ok done and the system stays like that forever. Experiment and try different stuff. Keep the old measurements and make good descriptions for comparisons and better ideas what to try next (and what you should perhaps go back to)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Dstew thank you very much. I am very excited to actually test everything with a nice base line. Now I truly can see like you said what every adjustment will truly do.

Invaluable tool, I can't wait to find out myself.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat