Does anyone know if Audioquest type 2 speaker cable is better than monster cable speaker wire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I went into magnolia at best buy today and all the guys were having a hard on when I went to buy some monster speaker wire. They said the audioquest type 2 cable is so much better. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
It's wire.

Get the appropriate gauge for the lowest price....try Home Depot, landscape wire, 12 gauge.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post

So I went into magnolia at best buy today and all the guys were having a hard on when I went to buy some monster speaker wire. They said the audioquest type 2 cable is so much better. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Thanks for the input.

It's better for the bottom line (profit margin) for the mag store than it is for your ears. I'd also stay away from those best buy dudes with wood..lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. I went for some monster speaker wire 50 ft. they had on sale for 19.99. A great price imo from a known brand. They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest. 100 bucks for the audioquest 30 feet and 20 for the monster 50 ft. So I said I will be back. lol. I will go pickup the monster Friday. Thanks guys. I don't see who cable could make that big a difference. Why buy expensive speakers if a brand of speaker wire would make such a huge difference.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post

Audioquest type 2 speaker cable describes a specfic product, but monster cable doesn't.

I notice that Audioquest type 2 speaker cable nets out to be 17 gauge wire which is far less copper than the 12 or 14 gauge that most of us prefer.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT2NF

Commodity 12 gauge runs a few bucks for two 8 foot pieces at hardware and home improvement stores and will work well in far more different circumstances than 17 gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/Rsw1250-Spool-Translucent-Speaker-Gauge/dp/B009XUN5Q4/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365768935&sr=1-13&keywords=speaker+cables+12+gauge
post #6 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Suckers. Type 2 rocks, and I've pulled out and tossed all my Monster. Proof is to do the hard work, buy it and compare it with your own ears. Agree with hype and marketing but let your ears be the guide! It's a pain in the ass buying stuff and returning it if it doesn't work out but if it's important to you and you want the best result you gotta do the leg work.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, smart people buy their speaker wire at Monoprice. Typical Monster XP is 16AWG. At Monoprice, 16AWG is $20 per 100ft. $15 for 50ft for 12AWG - real heavy duty stuff.

So when you went in looking for Monster, those guys figured they could sell you a three-legged horse along with some Arizona beach-front property - and rake in the commission.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Suckers. Type 2 rocks, and I've pulled out and tossed all my Monster.

You're the sucker who bought and installed monster cable in the first place.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest.
That's because you were cutting off their balls. They get paid a bonus for selling you the AQ.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #10 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

Suckers. Type 2 rocks, and I've pulled out and tossed all my Monster. Proof is to do the hard work, buy it and compare it with your own ears.
Of all the available tools to judge the performance of cable your ears are the least reliable. Not that different cables can't sound different, they can. The problem is that if you think a cable will sound better, it will, and if the reason why you think a cable will sound better is price you're throwing your money away.
The only factors that influence cable behavior are resistance, capacitance and inductance. Those factors have no direct correlation with price. In fact, some of the worst cables made with respect to resistance, capacitance and inductance are also some of the most expensive cables sold.
Quote:
They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest.
The highest profit margin items at BB (or anywhere else) are cables and extended warranties. You shouldn't be buying either.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I have had good results with the Audioquest line of cables, both speaker and interconnects.

I have also had good results just using #10 or #12 speaker cable from Monoprice, and also making my own from Belden wire.

Oddly (don't ask me why), I have heard some Monster cables that audibly degrade the sound.

My advice would be to get some #12 pure copper speaker cable from Monoprice; Monoprice #2747 or 2789.

I am sure it will work well, and the price is very good.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 17
I've read that AQ's "PSC+" is actually OCC copper from Neotech.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Oddly (don't ask me why), I have heard some Monster cables that audibly degrade the sound.

Some Monster Cable cables have high capacitance, and some are actually pretty small conductors despite their apparently large size (thicker insulation and an outer sheath makes them look impressive but does not improve their performance).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
The suckers are those that follow the fish hooks on a 9 month old thread. rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

The suckers are those that follow the fish hooks on a 9 month old thread. rolleyes.gif

...and the rats who post in them, but contribute absolutely nothing.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

You're the sucker who bought and installed monster cable in the first place.
Such as this?
post #17 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Such as this?

no, more like that ^ smile.gif
post #18 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rather than busting balls, you could have just referred to post #2 rather than contributing absolutely nothing as you did in post #8.
The door swings both ways. wink.gif
post #19 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

Not that the original person starting this thread is likely to come back, but anyone interested in what wire to get should read this:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #20 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 AM

That article should be made a "sticky" in this forum. You should have to read it before you can post here. I can't believe that I'm still reading these cable threads 15 years after I originally joined this forum.
Rgrds-Ross
post #21 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post

That article should be made a "sticky" in this forum. You should have to read it before you can post here. I can't believe that I'm still reading these cable threads 15 years after I originally joined this forum.
Rgrds-Ross

There are always new people, and they need to learn the same things that others already know.  One should have patience with them; ignorance is not the same as stupidity.

Also, some people never learn.  Many are quite happy to believe all sorts of nonsense, and do not care about properly testing things or proper standards of evidence.  And they often like to spread their nonsense to others.  When people make a religion out of their audio beliefs, they typically like getting new converts to their religion.

And yes, I agree, that article should be made into a "sticky."

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Then all you need to do is get them to actually read the stickys before posting. tongue.gif
post #23 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then all you need to do is get them to actually read the stickys before posting. tongue.gif

Yes.  But if they were prominently displayed, some people would read them, and for those who did not, the stickies would be a ready reference for others to point to whenever needed.

post #24 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's one of the problems with the stickies. Not very prominent as they were with the older BB software.
OTOH... it's just as easy to re-post the link that has been posted a gazillion times. tongue.gif
post #25 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's one of the problems with the stickies. Not very prominent as they were with the older BB software.
OTOH... it's just as easy to re-post the link that has been posted a gazillion times. tongue.gif

It is not quite as easy.  For one thing, with new members, there is a delay for posting off-site links.  A moderator must approve the post before anyone else can see it.  And second, many people will not remember where the thing was, and some are poor at searching, and so fewer will be posting links to such useful sites.  So it would still be better as a sticky.

post #26 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

From looking, I now see that there is a sticky about this, though it is not just about this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101/0_100

The totality might be a bit overwhelming to someone new, but it is a very good thing to have such a list.

post #27 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

See? Not everyone reads/checks the Stickys before posting.tongue.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page