Speaker Selector Switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anybody suggest a speaker selector switch for using one amplifier to switch between two pairs of speakers. I am concerned that the cheap ones on ebay will cause a loss in sound quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Speaker-Control-Connect-Speakers/dp/B000W1XMJS/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t would I experience a loss of quality with one of these?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Will,

I don't think you need to worry about sound quality. A switch would have almost no impact on a speaker connection, unless you are pushing so much power that the switch can't handle it and burns-up.

You might have to worry about impedance. That switch will put the speakers in parallel if both are enabled at the same time. If both sets of speakers are 4 ohms, the resulting impedance will be 2 ohms, which some amps won't be able to handle. A few amps can't handle 4 ohms, so even two sets of 8 ohms speakers could over-tax the amp.

If you never enable both sets of speakers at the same time, then you never have to worry about it.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help I will go ahead and purchase one. Also do you know anything about the benefits of bi amping floorstanders? I cant say its something ive tried before but do you think it is worth it for my floorstanders AE120s?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Will,

I don't think you need to worry about sound quality. A switch would have almost no impact on a speaker connection, unless you are pushing so much power that the switch can't handle it and burns-up.

You might have to worry about impedance. That switch will put the speakers in parallel if both are enabled at the same time. If both sets of speakers are 4 ohms, the resulting impedance will be 2 ohms, which some amps won't be able to handle. A few amps can't handle 4 ohms, so even two sets of 8 ohms speakers could over-tax the amp.

If you never enable both sets of speakers at the same time, then you never have to worry about it.

Can you talk more about this when it comes to selectors that have impedance-matching protection circuitry? Like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8230&seq=1&format=2#description

It claims the following: This speaker selector allows you to connect up to eight stereo speaker zones. Each zone can be individually toggled on or off with the front panel switch. Built-in impedance-matching circuitry ensures that the overall impedance level to the amplifier does not drop below 5 Ohms, no matter how many speaker zones are selected or how many speakers are in each zone.

Is this safe to use?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Spaznik,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaznik View Post

Is this safe to use?
I suspect that it is. I don't know how they do the protection, but it sounds like it directly addresses the concerns that I stated above.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Spaznik,
I suspect that it is. I don't know how they do the protection, but it sounds like it directly addresses the concerns that I stated above.

Thanks for the response. So far it seems to be working fine.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Hello,

on this topic, I thought I would be safe matching up impedences between speakers and selector switch. Having read this thread I'm not so sure and would appreciate some advice. I've got this set-up:

1) Single outdoor speaker, 4 ohm, approx 100W

2) Pair of indoor speakers, 4-8 ohms, 15-100W

3) Amplifier, 4-8 ohm, 20W rating at 8 ohms

We use the indoor speakers for the tv, outdoor speaker is on the patio which may be used at the same time (on a sunny day)

I was thinking of getting this 2-way selector switch:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Speaker-Control-Connect-Speakers/dp/B000W1XMJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395184346&sr=8-1&keywords=speaker+switch+with+protection

Having read the comments above, I wonder whether this one might be more suitable:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003GSVHD2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000W1XMJS&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0EVESTVMEWGRETFY66FC

Which should I go for?

Thanks

post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I was checking back on this thread and noticed no one ever answered this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyoung351 View Post

Also do you know anything about the benefits of bi amping floorstanders? I cant say its something ive tried before but do you think it is worth it for my floorstanders AE120s?

This is a highly contested subject and there was just a very good thread on it - to me it proved there was no real benefit under normal conditions - you can learn more about the subject than you can imagine in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492314/question-on-bi-amping

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page