post #361 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

Like saying the sound is buttery... what is that? Delicious sound? Fat sound? Slippery sound?? Lol.

High cholesterol sound..

And no problem. We are all in this together.

jn

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post

High cholesterol sound..

And no problem. We are all in this together.

jn

The one I like is "This cable really changed the pace and timing".

People who buy into that need to understand the word "conductor" has dual meanings. If you want to change the pace or timing of a musical piece you do in fact need a different conductor. The type with two arms and sticks. Not a different electrical conductor! biggrin.gif

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #363 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Actually, my conductor has just one stick, but he does vary pace and timing, sometimes with little or no warning. I suspect he needs a better jitter filter. smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #364 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Actually, my conductor has just one stick, but he does vary pace and timing, sometimes with little or no warning. I suspect he needs a better jitter filter. smile.gif

Could also be that a one handed conductor is unbalanced and much more susceptible to external influences. biggrin.gif

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #365 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Could also be that a one handed conductor is unbalanced and much more susceptible to external influences. biggrin.gif

No..

Jitter = caffeine

Just gotta switch ta decaf..

jn

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
post #366 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Heading out to a regular client to install new mix desk and some wireless mics for him.

I sure hope I can figure out how to hook it up so it works.

I will be sure to call you JN if I just can't make it do what it is designed to do.

Or should I tell him that some time in the future, (not sure what date) the technology will change again. Should he wait for that time or may we just use what the industry has built and what is avaiilable TODAY- May 3, 2013?
krabapple likes this.
post #367 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Had a guest conductor once who just made whirly bird motions over his head, and not necessarily in sync with the music. And was also prone to stopping his "conducting" for short periods just to listen. His motion to cut us off was similar to but supposedly a little different from these normal whirly birds. We were quite confused the first day... stopping when he was just listening, continuing to play when he wanted us to stop. After the first day, we just kept playing until he had stopped for a while and was ignoring us.

I was young, don't remember his name. He was apparently quite accomplished. The only thing I knew for certain was that faster whirlies meant louder or more aggressive, or both.

post #368 of 419 Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't have the article anymore, however, a pretty astute guy was given about 10 different speaker wires to compare. The funniest were the 8 gauge copper AUTOMOBILE JUMPER CABLES compared to some mid priced and high priced cables. Differences were minimal at best. The jumper cable was down 0.25 db at 20,000 HZ.

It is also true that some people can consistently do better than chance in listening at the upper margin.

I would add speaker/room EQ to the list compiled by Nyal Mellor. The top of the line Dual Core Anti-Mode would be a nice if expensive improvement..
post #369 of 419 Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy 

It is also true that some people can consistently do better than chance in listening at the upper margin.

I'd love to read more about that. Happen to have a link or know where these tests were documented?

post #370 of 419 Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

No..

Jitter = caffeine

Just gotta switch ta decaf..

jn

Nah, it's the E-field.wink.gif

Be the sage.
post #371 of 419 Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps I should have used the term "flicker noise"... smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #372 of 419 Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Concert went well, but now I can't help but wonder if the violas might have held together a bit better in the Sibelius had they upgraded power cords... smile.gif
Amazingly the conductor gave solid downbeats most of the time, unlike the disaster of a dress rehearsal. Ah well, on to next season, now to get my big-band chops in shape for this summer!

post #373 of 419 Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Concert went well, but now I can't help but wonder if the violas might have held together a bit better in the Sibelius had they upgraded power cords... smile.gif

I only recently saw viola's wired to cabs... what a great concert. it was.
Quote:

Ah well, on to next season, now to get my big-band chops in shape for this summer!

Big band...so cool.

jn

post #374 of 419 Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 84
A conductor is the boss of a train.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #375 of 419 Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I don't have the article anymore, however, a pretty astute guy was given about 10 different speaker wires to compare. The funniest were the 8 gauge copper AUTOMOBILE JUMPER CABLES compared to some mid priced and high priced cables. Differences were minimal at best. The jumper cable was down 0.25 db at 20,000 HZ.

They can? With 'speaker wires'? What lengths and gauges are we talking about here?
post #376 of 419 Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

Thanks for the explanation jn. As always, but hopefully not always just in a knee jerk way, the natural question forming in my mind is "can we prove audibility of such phenomenon?"

Yup, mine too, every time I wade through one of jneutron's novellas and their ever-tantalizing 'hints' that never seem to add up to 'answers' to that question.

To me, "Audibility *is* the story"

Apparently it's not the story he likes to tell.
Gizmologist likes this.
post #377 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Be careful of what you wish for!

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1727

Now unfortunately I can't take advantage of this as I have a gas dryer. Does anybody make an audiophile grade gas hose so I can play too?
You will need audiophile grade gas to truly get the most out of those audiophile gas hoses. . .

Steve
post #378 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

The one I like is "This cable really changed the pace and timing".

See - it's comments like that from the "subjectivist" that provide more proof that what they're experiencing really lies completely within their mind and imagination, and that draw me away from taking their claims seriously.

But, hey, comments like that are at least worth a good laugh. biggrin.gif
post #379 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Yup, mine too, every time I wade through one of jneutron's novellas and their ever-tantalizing 'hints' that never seem to add up to 'answers' to that question.

To me, "Audibility *is* the story"

Apparently it's not the story he likes to tell.

Your statement is not supported by truth.

I have explained the consequences in terms of hum and noise infiltration, oscillation, as well as unexplained audibility changes.

As well as how expectation bias can compromise "audibility".

And, how specific system responses to cordage cannot be predetermined given the lack of EMC in the designs.

edit: my "novella's" as you are fond of calling them, are actually quite compact, and easily understood by degreed electrical engineers of reasonable competence. Given the nature of audiences in forums such as this, I try to keep it as non technical as possible without losing content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

See - it's comments like that from the "subjectivist" that provide more proof that what they're experiencing really lies completely within their mind and imagination, and that draw me away from taking their claims seriously.

But, hey, comments like that are at least worth a good laugh. biggrin.gif

Yah, there is that. Truly ridiculous statements don't help. I really enjoy the quantum dots and green felt tip pen..

I also laugh at some of the objectivist statements as well, since I understand the engineering..you know, miles and miles of wire, that kind of thing.

ps....you know, I do recall one guy who used a low impedance speaker cable on a subwoofer, but used a hot amplifier (high speed) for the sub, biamp system. Since the sub unloaded well below the amplifier's unity gain frequency, the amplifier was left with only the cable capacitance, I thing it was 300 to 500 pf per foot. As a consequence, the sub sounded like crap. Not to say the claim was legitimate, but I find that it doesn't pay to blindly dismiss the statements of others (well, most others). In that particular case, the amps was oscillating above 20Khz.

jn

post #380 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your statement is not supported by truth.

I have explained the consequences in terms of hum and noise infiltration, oscillation, as well as unexplained audibility changes.

As well as how expectation bias can compromise "audibility".

And, how specific system responses to cordage cannot be predetermined given the lack of EMC in the designs.

Needles in the verbal haystacks you build. If they weren't, why would Bigus and others find themselves wondering (though they put it more politely than I) wtf your point is re: audibility?

Yes, hum and line noise are audible and bad. But as has been pointed out , that's not what audio hobbyists mean when they claim cables 'sound different'. So why do start off on such tangents, and then go even further off? It's no wonder practical-solutions guys like Giz get frustrated with your approach. You're like a guy who, when asked the time, wants to re-invent the clock.
Just cruising likes this.
post #381 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Needles in the verbal haystacks you build. If they weren't, why would Bigus and others find themselves wondering (though they put it more politely than I) wtf your point is re: audibility?

Go back and read the thread. It is a waste of time to continue to provide the same answers to frustrated hobbyists.
Quote:

Yes, hum and line noise are audible and bad. But as has been pointed out , that's not what audio hobbyists mean when they claim cables 'sound different'.
Again, go back and read. Your needlessly repetitive questions have already been answered.
Quote:

It's no wonder practical-solutions guys like Giz get frustrated with your approach.

Practical??? you mean like...saying there will be inherent flaws, and saying don't fix em...?

My definition of practical is not yours. You tread water in the rapids, believing that keeping one's head above the water is the equivalent of surviving.
Quote:

You're like a guy who, when asked the time, wants to re-invent the clock.

Wow, now that's something I haven't heard before..

Like I said, go read the thread. And get better material..

You fit the classic case of an individual who cannot understand the technical discussion, but must under all circumstances, attack.

Get in line.biggrin.gif

jn

post #382 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Who expends more energy vs. calorie intake for 30 minutes of hovering... a carpenter bee or hummingbird?
post #383 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Who expends more energy vs. calorie intake for 30 minutes of hovering... a carpenter bee or hummingbird?

More importantly, if the carpenter bee is practicing carpentry, does he have a license?

Or is it just a dog license with the word dog crossed out, cat put in, then crossed out again..

jn

post #384 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news JN!! The new mix desk works beautifully, there is no hum, all inputs are totally clean, the customer is ecstatic, we did not have to add a single transformer (as they were already in the unit) , he has a functioning studio and is already doing voiceover recordings and I have my check in the bank.

We did not feel it would be right to bother you to come out and annoint us or the equipment to make it work to its optimum and just trusted the engineers that designed and built it as well as the electricians who wired the building that they knew what they were doing. Lo and behold, they knew what they were doing!

One thing I have been curious about for a long time. As very few here are interested in a practical sense with all your doom and gloom that somehow never materialized to the point where a simple fix was not possible, AND you delight in denigrating anone who does not stand in abject awe of your pronouncements, WHY do you continue to come here where you feel no one is able to solve an audio problem and in YOUR opinion, we are all like lost sheep looking for a shepherd? Why are you not cavorting with your self- professed peers?

BTW, I used a stock AC cord and it is connected to a 6ft Wiremold outlet strip. Oh the horror!
post #385 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

BTW, I used a stock AC cord and it is connected to a 6ft Wiremold outlet strip. Oh the horror!
But I am sure that you took care of all the issues by using the proper cable lifters to keep the cables off of the floor
Wink wink nod nod smile.gif
Gizmologist and Just cruising like this.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #386 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

We thought about ripping up the floor to assure that the new rebar would be laid in a herringbone pattern to disrupt any harmonic phase inversion so he could record during a full moon, but decided to chance that the Earth's magnetic poles would be reversing soon anyway, thereby negating any benefit .
Just cruising likes this.
post #387 of 419 Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

WHY do you continue to come here where you feel no one is able to solve an audio problem and in YOUR opinion, we are all like lost sheep looking for a shepherd? Why are you not cavorting with your self- professed peers?
Quote:

I not sure he thinks he has any peers.
post #388 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news JN!! The new mix desk works beautifully, there is no hum, all inputs are totally clean, the customer is ecstatic, we did not have to add a single transformer (as they were already in the unit) , he has a functioning studio and is already doing voiceover recordings and I have my check in the bank.

We did not feel it would be right to bother you to come out and annoint us or the equipment to make it work to its optimum and just trusted the engineers that designed and built it as well as the electricians who wired the building that they knew what they were doing. Lo and behold, they knew what they were doing!

One thing I have been curious about for a long time. As very few here are interested in a practical sense with all your doom and gloom that somehow never materialized to the point where a simple fix was not possible, AND you delight in denigrating anone who does not stand in abject awe of your pronouncements, WHY do you continue to come here where you feel no one is able to solve an audio problem and in YOUR opinion, we are all like lost sheep looking for a shepherd? Why are you not cavorting with your self- professed peers?

So then what you are telling us is:

1. You purchased equipment which was designed by others, engineered by others, built by others, packaged in shrink wrap by others.
2. The customer said they needed say, 24 channels, so you looked up a 24 channel mixer from a known established company, and purchased it.
3. You received the units, and using skill, unwrapped the made by others equipment. (note, as this may require a sharp object, I would have somebody else do that so that I remain safe But that's me, I've learned through the years that sharp objects in my hands is not a good thing......)

Where precisely was the engineering? Other than that of the people who built the equipment you purchased?

I have no problem with roadie level work, I do a lot of that myself. It beats sitting at a computer all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just cruising View Post

I not sure he thinks he has any peers.
Actually that is incorrect.

But, my peers understand Electrical Engineering.

jn

ps. It is worthy to note that all that is being done is attacking me. as opposed to "science" or "engineering". Such is the nature of those attempting to support a predefined position (which is crumbling as we speak) as opposed to learning or discussion.

post #389 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

So then what you are telling us is:

1. You purchased equipment which was designed by others, engineered by others, built by others, packaged in shrink wrap by others.
2. The customer said they needed say, 24 channels, so you looked up a 24 channel mixer from a known established company, and purchased it.
3. You received the units, and using skill, unwrapped the made by others equipment. (note, as this may require a sharp object, I would have somebody else do that so that I remain safe But that's me, I've learned through the years that sharp objects in my hands is

Where precisely was the engineering?

Spoken like someone who has never had to get useful work done with a full-utilized 24 channel recording system. ;-)

Just for the record, my daily driver has 56 channels of which over 30 are used. It and the equipment attached to it has more than 50 power cords.
Gizmologist and Just cruising like this.
post #390 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Spoken like someone who has never had to get useful work done with a full-utilized 24 channel recording system. ;-)
Useful work as in recording, right? I envy the musicians talent..

Setup and takedown using predesigned equipment is usually a no brainer, just read the instructions that come in the package. The work comes in when "inherent flaws" rear their ugly head. And occasionally, experience helps, especially when an application requires plenum grade wiring, you wouldn't want someone dropping non plenum in, that's a code violation and safety concern.

My 8 and 10 year old can setup a predesigned package, they did it for two years.. If trouble arose, of course they would need assistance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Just for the record, my daily driver has 56 channels of which over 30 are used. It and the equipment attached to it has more than 50 power cords.

Just for the record, what I do has over 10 thousand power cords. And where possible, we DESIGN the equipment to be EMC compliant. Not purchase, design. Then have contract houses build the equipment.

And yet, some of the equipment has to be unbalanced input with the microvolt signal sources bonded to ground 50 meters away onto the ground loop from h###.

It's not about whose equipment is bigger, arny. Never was.

jn

Closed Thread Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page