Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #391 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Question JN: Why are you here attempting to denigrate everyone who does not kneel in your presence? You definitely have an extremely overblown ego as it relates to legitimate everyday systems that we work with and that ego is totally uselsss on a forum regarding audio visual equipment. You are no longer impressing anyone, you are simply annoying. Why not go talk to your suposed peers -unless you are annoying them as well?

For the record, there are those of us here who work with very complex systems and around the clock for days on end to put on presentations for local and international broadcast and recording. YOUR line of work has no bearing in what we do.

We all work with pre-engineered equipment as does most of the world. We have no issue with that. If a problem arises, we solve the problem in the most cost effective and PRACTICAL way. Suggestions and requests for re-engineering are constantly provided to the manufacturers and they comply. That is how this equipment moved from a single volume control arrangement on a 4 microphone mixer into 72 channel, multiple sends, eq'd, 12ft long masterpieces of audio engineering.

We do not NEED to redesign every piece of equipment we touch as WE have the skills to make it work flawlessly.

Do you also tell the power company, phone company, water and gas companies how to do their jobs or do you generate all your own utilities? I would expect nothing less from you.

You keep on building your little world while the normal folks build and work in the REAL world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

Question JN: Why are you here attempting to denigrate everyone who does not kneel in your presence?.

Look at your continued responses...nothing but attack attack attack.

I await even one engineering based post from you. Well, other than substituting non plenum grade cable in place of plenum..

All you do is browbeat . Got any substance? I've reviewed all you posts, you do nothing but attack.

jn

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
A good man knows his own limitations...(Dirty Harry)
Lead, follow....or get out of the way..
post #393 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

JN all you do is insult others and tell us in your own especially annoying style that unless we build everything from scratch- to YOUR design parameters- then everything is flawed.

News flash Scooter: it is getting very boring. I cannot understand how someone with your frequently enumerated engineering skills cannot grasp that this forum deals with equipment that has been engineered rather well and that YOU are the only one trumpeting "yea but it has flaws" ad nauseum. can you not understand that this forum deals with equipment that is already built and the interconnection of that equipment?

I am sure there are forums that would LOVE your constantly berating input. but I can't think of one.

I do NOT engineer production equipment from the chassis up, however I do modify it when necessary. No one else here does either and we are fine with that.

As I asked earlier, what is your purpose in beating the horse to death again and again? We are NOT designing equipment here. This is NOT a product engineering forum. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

What you term as attacks has been my response to your insults (not just at me) and your phenomenally egotistic posts where you repeated denigrate everyone.

Your 'services'would be MUCH better suited if you schooled Midas, TEAC, Soundcraft, Crown, Ashly, BGW, etc on the inherent flaws in their designs. I am sure they would gladly benefit from your insults and attacks.
post #394 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JN all you do is insult others and tell us in your own especially annoying style that unless we build everything from scratch- to YOUR design parameters- then everything is flawed.

Really? Point out where I stated that. ....or get off the bowl.
Quote:

News flash Scooter:
Well, at least you spelled it right this time.

Of course, still no technical content ...Lots of bashing though..The last bastion for those with no substance with which to argue a technical point.

A simple question. Are you a degreed EE?

jn

pssst..Giz...guess what? We already know what you're about. You will never ever admit that consumer based unbalanced input equipment can be cordage sensitive. You continue your attempts at diverting the discussion away from power cords affecting systems. Well, that bus has sailed giz, the cat's outta the bag.

Some discuss because they can. Others attack because they cannot. (unknown attribution)
post #395 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I guess the online course in diplomatic techniques allows for an easy passing grade.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #396 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post

[question posed to Gizmologist] A simple question. Are you a degreed EE?

jn

Well I can tell you that based on the pay scale in the Hollywood entertainment industry and Giz's "gun for hire" freelance work arrangement, he probably clears $200K or more per year.

I'm not kidding! The on location guys really clean up at peak times of the year. Plus they enjoy month long vacations when projects go into hiatus.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #397 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I guess the online course in diplomatic techniques allows for an easy passing grade.
That boat sailed at post 198

jn

post #398 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Well I can tell you that based on the pay scale in the Hollywood entertainment industry and Giz's "gun for hire" freelance work arrangement, he probably clears $200K or more per year.

I'm not kidding!

Good for him.. And quite honestly, if he had a question for me which in any way helped him earn his keep, I would be more than happy to assist.

But that did not answer my question. Nor, does the question or it's answer revolve around money.

jn

post #399 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I'd suggest JN should be designing, manufacturing and selling A/V gear. No one else could do it better from what I gather. Maybe... (if child labor laws are followed) he could get his children to etch and solder all the circuit boards. wink.gif

I bow before the great and powerful Oz. smile.gif
post #400 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Good for him.. And quite honestly, if he had a question for me which in any way helped him earn his keep, I would be more than happy to assist.

But that did not answer my question. Nor, does the question or it's answer revolve around money.

jn

All I'm saying is that not just anyone can dive so deeply into engineering theory as you can. But at the same time not just anyone can solve technical issues under the pressures of live or recorded production events either. There is often no time for even a cursory engineering analysis. I'm not condoning that at all, I don't like some of it either, but that's the way it is.

I have seen very well qualified EE's fail under pressure yet their lab skills are spectacular. FWEIW, these "Mcguyvers" are well compensated deserving or not. And the "deserving" part is determined by the business needs and not a university technical review board.

It takes many types to make it all work.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #401 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I'd suggest JN should be designing, manufacturing and selling A/V gear. No one else could do it better from what I gather. Maybe... (if child labor laws are followed) he could get his children to etch and solder all the circuit boards. wink.gif

I bow before the great and powerful Oz. smile.gif
Another post without content.

So many people who's sole purpose is to derail the discussion away from unbalanced consumer equipment cordage sensitivity.

Wow.

Hint. It's happening regardless of your and other's diversions.

jn

post #402 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I'm not kidding! The on location guys really clean up at peak times of the year. Plus they enjoy month long vacations when projects go into hiatus.

Not sure what pay scale has to do with credibility?
I work up in the oil sands, tradesmen foremen can make 200k
21 yr old girls driving truck can make 150k
Site Supers can make 200k or more in bonuses.
Most take 4-6 weeks holiday....
Are these people elevated in your eyes because they make
more money than most?
If so, I can introduce you to oil execs that are gods.....
post #403 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I'm saying is that not just anyone can dive so deeply into engineering theory as you can. But at the same time not just anyone can solve technical issues under the pressures of live or recorded production events either. There is often no time for even a cursory engineering analysis. I'm not condoning that at all, I don't like some of it either, but that's the way it is.

I have seen very well qualified EE's fail under pressure yet their lab skills are spectacular. FWEIW, these "Mcguyvers" are well compensated deserving or not. And the "deserving" part is determined by the business needs and not a university technical review board.

It takes many types to make it all work.

While you make good points regarding the pressures and time constraints involved, your initial statement was the closest.

I have had the pleasure of working with some non degreed individuals who call themselves engineers. I have also had the unfortunate circumstances of working with degreed individuals who couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag.

I've also had the pleasure of working with technicians who could make circuits work from chicken scratches I scribbled on a bar napkin, as well as techs who were a danger to all around them.

My point here is: A degreed program in EE has core courses. E/M field theory, circuits, semiconductor physics, signal analysis, control theory. Most non degreed "engineers", while being called that in title, may not have a good understanding of aspects outside of their area of practice. That by itself, is neither good, nor bad. Just is. I asked the question because knowing the answer would help.

Attempting to argue within an engineering context... engineering which is not within their domain of experience nor understanding is not good, easily spotted, doesn't reflect well on that individual, and tends to lead to frustrating attempts by that individual to use the typical internet styles of argument, such as diversion, misrepresentation, and flat out lies instead of technical content.

And then there are the followers... the parasites... those who feel the need to pigpile..

jn

post #404 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

But, my peers understand Electrical Engineering.

jn

We are all only microbes are your feet JN. Praise be JN! Praise be JN!cool.gif
post #405 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

My point here is: A degreed program in EE has core courses. E/M field theory, circuits, semiconductor physics, signal analysis, control theory. Most non degreed "engineers", while being called that in title, may not have a good understanding of aspects outside of their area of practice. That by itself, is neither good, nor bad. Just is. I asked the question because knowing the answer would help.

Attempting to argue within an engineering context... engineering which is not within their domain of experience nor understanding is not good, easily spotted, doesn't reflect well on that individual, and tends to lead to frustrating attempts by that individual to use the typical internet styles of argument, such as diversion, misrepresentation, and flat out lies instead of technical content.

jn

I have interviewed dozens of BSEEs for teaching positions. I can say with all confidence that an EE degree doesn’t mean you understand a damn thing about electrical engineering. It’s what you do after the degree or in some cases what you did without the degree!
post #406 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Pardon me but audible hum is not a problem that needs electrical engineering to fix. I fixed mine by plugging into different outlet. It took me about 1 minute. So I don't know what all this commotion is about.
post #407 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just cruising View Post

We are all only microbes are your feet JN. Praise be JN! Praise be JN!cool.gif
So you present yourself as a follower of giz, content to pigpile with no worth of content.

Quote:

I have interviewed dozens of BSEEs for teaching positions. I can say with all confidence that an EE degree doesn’t mean you understand a damn thing about electrical engineering.
Oh man, have you got that right. It also extends through Masters and into Phd land as well.
Quote:

It’s what you do after the degree or in some cases what you did without the degree!
Abosolutely agree.

Which is why the post preceding your parasitic, diversionary post, had the exact same thing said by me.

So, you attack me, then repeat me?

New tactic I see..weird, but not something I've seen before.

jn

post #408 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

A few years ago we did a show for Anheiser Busch promoting Budweiser. The set designers had installed a very large neon sign as a stage backdrop. There were certified engineers onsite for rigging and electrical as there was a LOT of high current and complex production equipment and very elaborate AV. As soon as the sign was turned on there was loud buzzing in the sound system, the data links went haywire and there was a very visible noise bar in the video.

All the engineers stood around postulating how to solve the problem until a lone grip (gopher to those outside of Hollywood) quietly took a roll of mechanic's wire from his tech kit, wrapped several turns around the steel framework for the sign, unspooled it and connected the other end to a steel electrical conduit. VOILA, instant quiet.

Amazing! And he was a lowly stage grip pulling down a LOT less than an engineer (except for the OT which is great!)

These are the guys who make things work in the real world.

BTW, the Bud folks paid him a nice bonus for solving the problem and stopping the hold-up to the set-up and presentation rehearsals.
Just cruising likes this.
post #409 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post

Pardon me but audible hum is not a problem that needs electrical engineering to fix. I fixed mine by plugging into different outlet. It took me about 1 minute. So I don't know what all this commotion is about.
The hum you experienced was a consequence of the equipment design and the power delivery system in your house. You created a loop which trapped 60 cycle. By moving the cord, you fixed your immediate problem..great.

The commotion is because I pointed the engineering reasons behind cordage sensitivity, and the consequence on consumers, and the design steps that will be required to fix it in the future.

Some individuals have spent their entire internet life spewing vitriol on anybody who claims cordage made a difference (power cords in this particular thread).

As a result, they are using any tactic they can to derail the thread. Attacking me is one derail method. They will eventually understand that it isn't working.

jn

post #410 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A few years ago we did a show for Anheiser Busch promoting Budweiser. The set designers had installed a very large neon sign as a stage backdrop. There were certified engineers onsite for rigging and electrical as there was a LOT of high current and complex production equipment and very elaborate AV. As soon as the sign was turned on there was loud buzzing in the sound system, the data links went haywire and there was a very visible noise bar in the video.

All the engineers stood around postulating how to solve the problem until a lone grip (gopher to those outside of Hollywood) quietly took a roll of mechanic's wire from his tech kit, wrapped several turns around the steel framework for the sign, unspooled it and connected the other end to a steel electrical conduit. VOILA, instant quiet.

Amazing! And he was a lowly stage grip pulling down a LOT less than an engineer (except for the OT which is great!)

BTW, the Bud folks paid him a nice bonus for solving the problem and stopping the hold-up to the set-up and presentation rehearsals.

Old one, you used that example already. Guess you forgot.

I note with casual interest, you didn't answer the question.

BTW, quick question...do you believe he didn't cause a code violation with that "quick" solution?
Quote:

And those can also be the guys who create spectacular disasters in the real world. Kansas City Walkway disaster comes to mind.. Quick fixes which may have needed actual engineering to resolve for safety, as opposed to the "quick fix" heroism.

jn

post #411 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

To be sure JN, there is a place for YOU in the engineering world. HOWEVER there is also a place for the rest of us and we are all rather successful in our respective positions, whether you like it or not.
Whenever you listen to music -live or recorded- watch a movie or TV show, WE are the ones bringing it to you. We have the skills to make anything work or modify it until it does.

BTW, a lot of video and broadcast audio is still 'single ended'.

So power cords not withstanding, btw NO ONE in the pro industry gives a rat's ass about them except they they are physically durable and have sufficient current handling capability and are flexible, we still have excellent signal results.

It is really time to move on JN and stop the insults. We all EARN our reputations and paychecks by producing a quality product, not be attempting to belittle those around us.
post #412 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 229
This is insane.

Not every grip knows how to help a ground loop or shielding issue. Nor does every EE, as I am sure Giz will point out.

Not every EE is a total idiot devoid of all practical knowledge. A lot of us have lots of in-the-trenches experience. But, nobody knows it all, as JN will note.

Arrogance, ignorance, humility, and spitefulness can be found in varying degrees in all of us.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #413 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:

So you present yourself as a follower of giz, content to pigpile with no worth of content.
Oh man, have you got that right. It also extends through Masters and into Phd land as well.
Abosolutely agree.

Which is why the post preceding your parasitic, diversionary post, had the exact same thing said by me.

So, you attack me, then repeat me?

New tactic I see..weird, but not something I've seen before.

jn

Because you continue to pick the fly crap out of the pepper. Appling extreme cases to the consumer market which it does not apply to.
post #414 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because you continue to pick the fly crap out of the pepper. Appling extreme cases to the consumer market which it does not apply to.
Darn, I was hoping for technical dialogue...

oh well..

jn

post #415 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Technical data on what?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #416 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Darn, I was hoping for technical dialogue...

oh well..

jn

Understanding of theory without understanding of application is worthless!rolleyes.gif
post #417 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The hum you experienced was a consequence of the equipment design and the power delivery system in your house. You created a loop which trapped 60 cycle. By moving the cord, you fixed your immediate problem..great.

The commotion is because I pointed the engineering reasons behind cordage sensitivity, and the consequence on consumers, and the design steps that will be required to fix it in the future.

Some individuals have spent their entire internet life spewing vitriol on anybody who claims cordage made a difference (power cords in this particular thread).

As a result, they are using any tactic they can to derail the thread. Attacking me is one derail method. They will eventually understand that it isn't working.

jn
It fixed for me alright. It hasn't happened since and it was more than 10 years ago. What I'm saying is that it's a simple fix and I don't see any reason for all this commotion.
post #418 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it is time this thread was closed. There will never be consensus and we all have our own opinions on what is practical and what works. It has now simply degeneretd into a school yard braggging scenario.
post #419 of 419 Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Passive/aggresive behavior and perhaps a desire to be admired. IMHO, for someone so knowledged and "qualified" to pontificate, how does he/she have so much time to post as opposed to solving the world's electrical problems "professionally" (or teaching at MIT)? rolleyes.gif
Gizmologist and Just cruising like this.
Closed Thread Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page