Need help with home audio options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I am relatively new at this and had moved into a new house last year which appears to have been wired, through wall, in various rooms but prior owner took everything except the wires and a Niles speaker selector box at closing. I just installed my 5.1 home theatre in the den, and this is what I have....

Den (main floor of house)- full home theatre setup, Yahmaha Rx-v671, 64" HDTV, bluray, all integrated via Control 4 home automation control and Control 4 iPod sound dock. Components are in larve wallto wall custom cabinitry under tv

Finished basement--4 speaker wires coming thru wall, one in each corner of basement. No speakers

Outdoor deck--wraps around 400 sq ft sunroom. There are 2 speaker mounts and wires and end corners of deck facing towards pool. Backyard is approx 1/2 acre. Will need good speakers/power out of the pair since it will provide sound to deck and the pool which is located 25' away from the speaker mounts. Do not plan to get an in ground subwoofer. There is a volume control knob mounted on deck.

Sunroom (main floor) --4 speaker wires coming thru wall, one in each corner of basement, and a subwoofer connection in floor. No speakers or subwoofer. Sunroom has a cabinet panel where it appears all speaker wires for basement, deck and sunroom connect and a Niles Hps4 sits in cabinet. Not sure what speaker wires connect with what in cabinet, will need to test.

Ok, not sure what are my best options here--the basement is really a non-issue for me now, and the outdoor deck speaker pair a priority with pool season coming. Do I need another receiver for the sunroom? Is Sonos an option even though I would like to run everything through Control 4? The outdoor speaker pair will need decent power and have heard sonos falls short in this area?

I think I need some basic guidance and then I can better articulate what I would like to do and respond to any questions needed to ascertain what I could have. My apologies for how new I am to this and appreciate the wisdom and insights of the forum.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHDTVDude View Post

Ok, I am relatively new at this and had moved into a new house last year which appears to have been wired, through wall, in various rooms but prior owner took everything except the wires and a Niles speaker selector box at closing. I just installed my 5.1 home theatre in the den, and this is what I have....

Den (main floor of house)- full home theatre setup, Yahmaha Rx-v671, 64" HDTV, bluray, all integrated via Control 4 home automation control and Control 4 iPod sound dock. Components are in larve wallto wall custom cabinitry under tv

Finished basement--4 speaker wires coming thru wall, one in each corner of basement. No speakers

Outdoor deck--wraps around 400 sq ft sunroom. There are 2 speaker mounts and wires and end corners of deck facing towards pool. Backyard is approx 1/2 acre. Will need good speakers/power out of the pair since it will provide sound to deck and the pool which is located 25' away from the speaker mounts. Do not plan to get an in ground subwoofer. There is a volume control knob mounted on deck.

Sunroom (main floor) --4 speaker wires coming thru wall, one in each corner of basement, and a subwoofer connection in floor. No speakers or subwoofer. Sunroom has a cabinet panel where it appears all speaker wires for basement, deck and sunroom connect and a Niles Hps4 sits in cabinet. Not sure what speaker wires connect with what in cabinet, will need to test.

Ok, not sure what are my best options here--the basement is really a non-issue for me now, and the outdoor deck speaker pair a priority with pool season coming. Do I need another receiver for the sunroom? Is Sonos an option even though I would like to run everything through Control 4? The outdoor speaker pair will need decent power and have heard sonos falls short in this area?

I think I need some basic guidance and then I can better articulate what I would like to do and respond to any questions needed to ascertain what I could have. My apologies for how new I am to this and appreciate the wisdom and insights of the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Given that you can obtain a decent AVR for under $150 someone needs to explain to me why one wouldn't just buy a few of them and locate them where you want tunes and hook them to the speakers the easiest possible way.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

ArnyK:

It certainly is an option to get another receiver dedicated to the 5.1 speaker setup in the sunroom, and the 2 speakers wired on the outside deck (noting, I would need the ability to run either the outside or sunroom speakers independent of one another). The outdoor speakers, since there are only 2, would need to be appropriately sized, and powered, to obtain proper coverage outside. The sunroom already has a Niles HPS-4 speaker selector box in the room, would seem to be waste not to use it and replace it with a much bigger, heavier, receiver, and at additional cost.

Also, I would like the ability to link the sunroom and outdoor speakers to the Control 4 CPU located in the adjacent den. Again, this is a preference, not an absolute requirement.

Sonos seems like an interesting option, have heard GREAT things, but that the Amp only provides 55W/speaker, and given the above note regarding having only 2 outdoor speakers, I am concerned Sonos would not appropriately power the 2 outdoor deck speakers. Again, my assumption might be off-base or otherwise incorrect.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just saw that the Niles Hps-4 in the sunroom required an amp that can handle a 4 ohm load....my head is spinning now. With only 2 speakers for outdoor coverage, does this mean I can't appropriately power a pair of high end outdoor speakers through the nps-4???
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

No other replies? Help desperately needed frown.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that was helpful. I am skeptical whether sonos can provide enough power to the pair of outdoor speakers I want. Also, I have Control 4 home automation and would like to access all music from the control 4 remote or the control 4 licensed app on my iPads--which is really good.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds to me like you may require multiple stereo amps. If you're willing to go that route and you're not using your home's phone lines, you can disconnect them from the utility and use them to carry the signal from a player (computer, mp3 player, etc) to each stereo. Then you can use apps like "Retune" or "Remote" to control the audio from your computer. I've done it in my house and I've never been happier.

If you can make the cables yourself, great. If not, you can purchase them at my Kickstarter site below.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/301091594/stereophone-a-multi-room-sound-system

Good Luck!
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page