Will this setup work for vinyl? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey! Newbie here!

I'm going to get my first turntable in a few weeks for my birthday. And since it's my first I've done a lot of research about everything and I'm here to ask if everything will work!

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Project Essential. So this is what I'm thinking my setup will be: Project Essential > Project Phono Box - RCA to TRS > Line In (TRS) to my Tascam US-144 MKII - RCA out > Speakers.

I'm thinking that'll work! But I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Also, could you recommend a receiver or integrated amp? Under £200 preferably! And some speakers, there are so many I wouldn't know which to get, but I'd rather put most of the money towards the speakers, again, under £200

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Not the way you have it, no.

Not sure why you have the TASCAM 144 in the line there. It really should not be there.You show its output going to speakers. It has no output for speakers.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers might cost around 200 pounds; not sure; they are very good.

For an amplifier, you could probably go with one of the Cambridge integrated amplifiers; hard to know models or price in the UK.

In any case, the output of the Pro-ject Phono Box should go directly to input jacks on an integrated amplifier which will drive the speakers.

The output of the 144 can go to a different input of the integrated amplifier; that is a totally separate signal path.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Not the way you have it, no.

Not sure why you have the TASCAM 144 in the line there. It really should not be there.You show its output going to speakers. It has no output for speakers.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers might be around 200 pounds; not sure; they are very good.

For an amplifier, you could probably go with one of the Cambridge integrated amplifiers; hard to know models or price in the UK.

In any case, the output of the Pro-ject Phono Box should go directly to input jacks on an integrated amplifier which will drive the speakers.

The output of the 144 can go to a different input of the integrated amplifier; that is a totally separate signal path.

The tascam 144 is my audio interface, which does have rca outputs. So basically I'm asking if the way I'm running the turntable through my audio interface is going to work,because I don't have enough money to buy a receiver right now.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
IT WILL NOT WORK!

The TASCAM has no power amplifier in it, so it can't be connected to speakers.

You MUST have either a receiver or power amplifier in order to listen to speakers.

Your question is like asking how to make your bicycle tow a 4-ton trailer, because you can't afford a Land Rover.

And, once again, there is no point or need to run the output of the phono preamp to TASCAM unit.

The outputs of your phono preamp should connect directly to the amplifier or receiver inputs.

You can listen with headphones with that setup, but it takes a power amplifier to drive speakers.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
HI Shorde,

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The TASCAM has no power amplifier in it, so it can't be connected to speakers.
UNLESS your speakers are "powered" speakers (with a built-in amplifier), in which case you need to tell us that.

If that is the case, then your Project Phono Box can connect directly to the speakers (assuming the speakers have a volume control).

As Commsysman said, your TASCAM is superfluous.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page