Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Thanks for reading my first post.

I'm looking for the ideal in-ceiling speaker placement for 4 speakers (2 stereo pairs) in a new construction, 21'x23' room. These speakers will be hooked up to a Sonos system and will play TV, music, etc. Home theater set up has been discussed but declined.

I asked Crutchfield to come up with an ideal placement, and they responded with this:

What are your thoughts on this? This seems a spaced out a little too much.

Thanks!

2dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The ideal placement for in-ceiling speakers is to not put them in the ceiling! biggrin.gif

Now, if you don't care about sound quality and stereo imaging etc, and appearance is all that really matters, by all means have at it. Otherwise, this short article explains the best way to place speakers in a room:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

The ideal placement for in-ceiling speakers is to not put them in the ceiling! biggrin.gif

Now, if you don't care about sound quality and stereo imaging etc, and appearance is all that really matters, by all means have at it. Otherwise, this short article explains the best way to place speakers in a room:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

+1 what Ethan said, I'll give you real world example.

In my basement I have a dedicated HT with a decent rec room nearby.
I have a pool table there and wanted audio, I went with decent in-ceiling speakers from Paradigm.

My expectation was never HT quality sound quality nor iamging, basic background music for the occassional big sports party or music when the HT is off and just in the basement.

It does that, and only that. There is a very small sweet spot where you can get stereo imaging, but you need to be on the pool table!
Picture here shows me moving them because they were installed 3 years before the pool table.

If you do continue with the 4 in-ceiling speakers for your big room, at least lower your expectations for what they will deliver.

Even then, you may be dis-appointed.....
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
^ ^ ^

All good advice.

Besides the inherently poor sound quality issues, you're entirely stuck from any movement down the road whatsoever.

Good luck, I hope this all works out for you. Oftentimes, individuals don't want to destroy the appearance of the room in which the want to enjoy music/TV/movies, etc. So they instead ruin the sound of the music/TV/movies, etc. Architects,...they love placing the TV above the fireplace,..they love placing speakers in the ceiling ... it looks good, until you turn it on.

Best of luck, at least you're asking questions, many don't even think to ask. So you're ahead of the curve.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2digmedia View Post

Home theater set up has been discussed but declined.
In that case, laying out the 4 in-ceiling speakers in the 4 corners of the room is fine for background music. In your drawing you have an L-shaped sectional, with listener positions facing the front wall and the right side wall. With this seating in mind, I would swap the left/right speaker positions in the back corners so that no matter which wall the listeners face, they will hear stereo.

Sanjay
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page