Question about extending an interconnect. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I've got to move my stereo rack down the wall about six feet. The new projector screen is coming soon and the stereo equipment is in the way. I'm running an MIT Terminator4 interconnect to the subwoofer portion of my Polk RT3000 speaker. But the wire was just the right length (about 15 feet).

Would it be alright to just add about six feet of cable (let's say from Monoprice) to the front end of the wire and connect them together with a connector? The end connected to the speaker has a little box full of electronics, so I suppose that end should not be messed with. But the other end? Could I just connect some extra cable on there?

Does that sound reasonable, or should I buy a whole new cable the full length needed?

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichAVdude View Post

Hello,
I've got to move my stereo rack down the wall about six feet. The new projector screen is coming soon and the stereo equipment is in the way. I'm running an MIT Terminator4 interconnect to the subwoofer portion of my Polk RT3000 speaker. But the wire was just the right length (about 15 feet).

Would it be alright to just add about six feet of cable (let's say from Monoprice) to the front end of the wire and connect them together with a connector? The end connected to the speaker has a little box full of electronics, so I suppose that end should not be messed with. But the other end? Could I just connect some extra cable on there?

Does that sound reasonable, or should I buy a whole new cable the full length needed?

Extending regular line level interconnects, coaxial video cables and speaker cables using good electrical junctions should never be a problem.

By good electrical junction I mean the use of standard male and female connectors,

soldered and taped or heat shrunk splices,

splices made with purposed connectors such as Scotchlok connectors,

and even stripped wires and properly applied wire nuts.

HDMI and CAT 5 or 6 connections may be a little different, but I'm having no problems cascading HDMI cables within their distance limits. I still like to see solid pieces of CAT 5 or 6 network cables, but in fact we run them though wall plate plug connectors with short jumpers at the ends all of the time.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Arny, thanks for that nice response.

One other question. The bottom half of these Polk RT3000 speakers is a subwoofer. Like I said, I don't remember why I chose the MIT Terminator4 interconnects ten years ago. But, I'm pretty sure they're not RG6-type subwoofer cables that many people say are "the way to go". I even talked to Polk and they said, "use a subwoofer cable". Would it be alright for my 6 to 10 feet of extra interconnect to be RG6-type "subwoofer" cable? Connected to a regular analog RCA interconnect? Or should I extend my Terminator4 cable with something similar to itself?

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One other question. The bottom half of these Polk RT3000 speakers is a subwoofer. Like I said, I don't remember why I chose the MIT Terminator4 interconnects ten years ago. But, I'm pretty sure they're not RG6-type subwoofer cables that many people say are "the way to go". I even talked to Polk and they said, "use a subwoofer cable". Would it be alright for my 6 to 10 feet of extra interconnect to be RG6-type "subwoofer" cable? Connected to a regular analog RCA interconnect? Or should I extend my Terminator4 cable with something similar to itself?

Not necessarily. Any reasonable RCA cable should suffice. I'm not sure what is all inside every MIT cable as some of them are a little weird. However, they should not be a problem for a subwoofer, and as long as you treat them as a complete cable any other reasonable complete cable should be an effective extension for them.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Arny!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
RG6 is not for audio use; it is a 72 ohm radio-frequency cable used for cable TV and other signals above 1 Mhz.

The only use for it in an audio system would be for a coaxial digital interconnect, where the signal IS in the RF range.

Low-impedance cabling of various types is used for audio signals.

The very low frequencies of the signal to a subwoofer makes the cable type unimportant; any RCA cable can handle it, and fairly long lengths are not a problem.

Cable lengths over 10 feet should be avoided with most other audio signals IMO (unless you use balanced/XLR cables, which can be run 100 feet or more with no signal degradation).

Quote:

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
RG6 is not for audio use; it is a 72 ohm radio-frequency cable used for cable TV and other signals above 1 Mhz.

The only use for it in an audio system would be for a coaxial digital interconnect, where the signal IS in the RF range.

Low-impedance cabling of various types is used for audio signals..

At audio frequencies, RG6 is low impedance. Just like you say in the following quote:
Quote:
The very low frequencies of the signal to a subwoofer makes the cable type unimportant;

you should really try to understand characteristic impedance.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

RG6 is probably not the nicest audio cable in the world, but it is inexpensive, it passes conventional line level audio signals well enough with low loss, and it is shielded.

In practical terms RG6 most obnoxious property is often its stiffness. The world is full of audiophiles who use interconnects made out of RG6 and while any exceptional audible properties they fancy are no doubt the results of placebo effects, the cables themselves are also non-degrading to audio signals.

The characteristic impedance of cables is irrelevant for audio signals and the cable lengths commonly found in home audio system.

The usual criteria for cable length to be significant is 1/8 wavelength at the highest frequency of interest. For audio that is 20 KHz but just for grins lets use 100 KHz, a far higher and more demanding frequency. At 100 KHz a wavelength in coax is on the order of a mile including possible velocity effects.

As long as our audio cables are less than from 1 to 5 miles long, we don't need to worry about characteristic impedances. Therefore saying that RG6 is a low impedance cable when used for regular line level audio signals unnecessarily raises misapprehensions.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page