post #91 of 101 Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

I don't think you know what gauge means.
Where was I impolite?

reading on these website and depending how people answer question might come off as impolite if you say you were not then i am fine with that :-)

Yes i know what guage means i do read websites for that information and get it explained some examples below but of couse there are man many more that i have looked at.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/what-does-wire-gage-mean.htm
http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/awg-facts.html
http://www.bulkwire.com/wiregauge.asp

"AWG refers to the gauge of the conductor without the insulation, whereas the manufacturers using Gauge are referring to just the typical thickness of the wire with the insulation, so they make the insulation thicker."

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

"AWG refers to the gauge of the conductor without the insulation, whereas the manufacturers using Gauge are referring to just the typical thickness of the wire with the insulation, so they make the insulation thicker."

If the manufacturers are using 'AWG Gauge' to include the insulation, then they are being deceitful. The AWG refers to the thickness of the wire without insulation.

post #93 of 101 Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

Just for general info, it is quite common to use the space between joists and studs -enclosed only by sheetrock- as a return air plenum in homes. Sometimes a single layer of sheet metal is used to enclose the down side of a joist space such as in a utility room of garage.
I think what you are describing is referred to simply as a return, which is essentially nothing more than a duct. IIRC wiring normally isn't allowed in it except to pass through it at right angles to the run. And even in a true plenum, typically the space above a drop ceiling used as part of the return, plenum cable is not required in a typical residence. As mentioned above, plenum wiring is for commercial requirements.
post #94 of 101 Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Wiring is allowed in the return but must be plenum-rated, at least IIRC in this state, which typically means heavier insulations to handle temperature extremes and exposure to "outside" air as well as whatever crud ends up in the ducts. The regs may vary somewhat state-to-state (decades since I was last licensed and paid attention to codes except for a couple of recent projects, and plenum wiring was not an issue except for a thermostat and that did not require special wiring). A line run in one of our inlets was encased so IIRC the wire was regular house wire but routed in its own conduit. If not, it would have had to have been plenum-rated.

Whatever - Don

p.s. I have seen off-off-brand cable for sale with very thick insulation and little actual wire; I tend to avoid those and buy normal name-ish-brand wire even at Home Depot and such. The worst was a 16 AWG wire that was thicker than the 10 AWG wire I bought.

I think AWG Gauge is redundant, I think, since AWG == American Wire Gauge. wink.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #95 of 101 Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I am just happy i got sweet looking cables at a good price and what i was looking for thats all :-) I wanted to share with everyone since i received help from this thread.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #96 of 101 Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11

Everyone seems to like the monoprice speaker wire!!! Is there anyplace to get it from other than them direct ? I am in SC and they appear to ship from CA 7-10 days any other suggestion to hook up polk monitors 70/60's  in a 12 x 12 room, but if I run them under the carpet and close to base boards may have a run around 30-35'. Receiver is Marantz sr4002 if that means anything and what gauge would you suggest

Thanks

post #97 of 101 Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake29488 View Post

...any other suggestion to hook up polk monitors 70/60's in a 12 x 12 room, but if I run them under the carpet and close to base boards may have a run around 30-35'. Receiver is Marantz sr4002 if that means anything and what gauge would you suggest

If you are doing a run that long I would suggest at least 12AWG or even better 10AWG, but wire that thick is going to be hard to hide under carpet or baseboards.

I really like the Belden wire from Blue Jean Cables (I used the 10AWG for my rears / backs) and their welded terminations are even better:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #98 of 101 Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Everyone seems to like the monoprice speaker wire!!! Is there anyplace to get it from other than them direct ? I am in SC and they appear to ship from CA 7-10 days any other suggestion to hook up polk monitors 70/60's  in a 12 x 12 room, but if I run them under the carpet and close to base boards may have a run around 30-35'. Receiver is Marantz sr4002 if that means anything and what gauge would you suggest

Thanks
People here like Monoprice because you get quality wire, CHEAP! But their shipping is pretty high. I just got to local Lowes or Home Depot and get "zip" cord, which is what lamp cords are made out of. You can get 16 or 14 gauge easily, on spools or cut to length. It will sound the same as anything else you can find. Another option is outdoor low-voltage lighting wire, it is similar to the zip cord, but usually black, if you want a darker color. Also at Home Depot or Lowes.
I would avoid the stuff sold as "speaker wire" at Home Depot, Lowes, or even Amazon. It is often CCA, or copper clad aluminum, which has higher resistance that pure copper, and although you would never notice the difference sound-wise, it is not enough cheaper to be worthwhile.
post #99 of 101 Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Everyone seems to like the monoprice speaker wire!!!

You need to understand that there is nothing special about Monoprice wire of most if not all kinds. It is dominated by commodity products that are produced by a large number of different manufacturers and available from a large number of different sources.

One of the best sources of speaker wire may be a no-name electronics store or electronics distributor in your town or region.

Monoprice is good, but in a general sense nothing special, and to a large degree that is what is special about them! ;-)

Yes, I've bought cable products from Monoprice, but also a large number of other sources including the local hardware store and the big box home improvement store a few miles away, as well as Amazon and others.

I also have speaker wiring in my house that is not anything like regular speaker cable, its just 12 gauge Romex. Works great!

Therefore, +1 to the previous post by jdcrox.
post #100 of 101 Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 11

OK ,

Thanks for the information that is what I was thinking , I can get a roll of audiopipe from the east coast in a couple of days 12gauge by 100'  $24.50 delivered and it seems to be pretty much the same makeup. using 14 gauge from them with the klipsch quintets.

post #101 of 101 Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:

Everyone seems to like the monoprice speaker wire!!!

You need to understand that there is nothing special about Monoprice wire of most if not all kinds. It is dominated by commodity products that are produced by a large number of different manufacturers and available from a large number of different sources.

One of the best sources of speaker wire may be a no-name electronics store or electronics distributor in your town or region.

Monoprice is good, but in a general sense nothing special, and to a large degree that is what is special about them! ;-)

Yes, I've bought cable products from Monoprice, but also a large number of other sources including the local hardware store and the big box home improvement store a few miles away, as well as Amazon and others.

I also have speaker wiring in my house that is not anything like regular speaker cable, its just 12 gauge Romex. Works great!

Therefore, +1 to the previous post by jdcrox.

Absolutely. I guess one reason to buy from Monoprice is the implied warranty of a trustworthy brand. There are so many sharks in the cables and interconnects world, it is easy for the unaware to get burned. At least buying from Monoprice gives the buyer some safety in the knowledge he is getting a decent cable for a decent price. Knowing that the actual wire inside the cable isn't going to make any difference at all to my SQ, as long as it is fit for purpose, I have nevertheless bought cheap interconnects that have had mechanical issues due to really poor quality connector construction. Buying from somewhere like Monoprice pretty much guarantees the cable will be low cost, but also pretty well made.

Unfortunately, in the UK and EU there is no real equivalent of Monoprice (market opening there for someone) so we have much more of a gamble to take - we don't want to be ripped off by the ludicrously expensive cable brigade, but equally we don't want to buy crap. Motto for this side of the Atlantic: find a reliable supplier and stick with it. I've found Amazon UK to be pretty good in that sense, with their 'value range'.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page