Sound quality and fabric screen wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I’m currently planning a dedicated room for stereo (and also home-theatre duties), and I’d love to have a screen wall similar to some of the lovely home-cinemas shared by members here, covered with black velvet. I’m sure it works beautifully when watching/hearing a movie, but regarding specifically 2 channel audio, does anyone know what kind of effect the fabric has?

The room I'll use has rather thick solid walls precisely to guarantee good sound quality, and as much as I’d love to have the look of the fabric on the back wall, don’t want to jeopardize the sound in any way.

I think i never saw a stereo dedicated room with one or more walls covered with fabric, maybe that’s the reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post

I’m currently planning a dedicated room for stereo (and also home-theatre duties), and I’d love to have a screen wall similar to some of the lovely home-cinemas shared by members here, covered with black velvet. I’m sure it works beautifully when watching/hearing a movie, but regarding specifically 2 channel audio, does anyone know what kind of effect the fabric has?

The room I'll use has rather thick solid walls precisely to guarantee good sound quality, and as much as I’d love to have the look of the fabric on the back wall, don’t want to jeopardize the sound in any way.

I think i never saw a stereo dedicated room with one or more walls covered with fabric, maybe that’s the reason?

Velvet is very black yes but it is not acoustically transparent. This is the material I use now for screen walls http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-332. It's a very high quality speaker grille cloth. Nice and weighty, very black and acoustically transparent.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post

Velvet is very black yes but it is not acoustically transparent. This is the material I use now for screen walls http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-332. It's a very high quality speaker grille cloth. Nice and weighty, very black and acoustically transparent.

If you are building sound absorbers, the greatest concern is not for fabric that is acoustically transparent, but you want to avoid fabric that is reflective. I've had very good results covering sound absorbers with fireproofed flannel, velvet and soft felt.

Most fabric is inherently sonically absorptive or transparent. More significantly fabric it is not always inherently fireproof. I have had extremely good results treating normal fabrics with commercial fabric fireproofing compounds.

We put washable fabrics into an ordinary washing machine, made sure it was wet down with the liquid fireproofing compound, and spun it out being careful to catch the liquid that was spun out for reuse. Once we finished treating the fabric, we put the washer through an ordinary wash cycle to rinse out the fireproofing compound. Fireproofing compound is usually made out of boron salts, some of which are used for washing clothes.

The fabric was totally fire resistant once treated and wouldn't even smoke a little when heated up over an open fire. The washing machine lived on for many productive years.
Tony_Montana likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

Does it have to be acoustically transparent if none of the speakers would be directly covered by it? In my room, for example, all three front speakers are behind the (floating) screen. If I were to add panels to form a screen wall, would you still recommend using AT cloth?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

Does it have to be acoustically transparent if none of the speakers would be directly covered by it? In my room, for example, all three front speakers are behind the (floating) screen. If I were to add panels to form a screen wall, would you still recommend using AT cloth?

Then you can cover it with whatever you want though bear in mind that some fabrics by themselves have quite a lot of high frequency absorption so if you have too much surface area covered with them in a room you can 'over-deaden' the sound. If in doubt use sparingly - velvet on a screen wall without speakers behind would be ok - or use FR701 or Anchorage or another fabric advertised for acoustical use or the speaker grille cloth I mentioned

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page