New music setup - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm very new at this, but have been trying to do some research. It looks like there are several exports here that may be able to guide me in the right direction. I'll be hosting an outdoor reception this summer and I would like to provide some music for dancing. I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade my 10 year old system, but not looking to break the bank. I'd like to get something that is affordable that I can eventually build on. I need something that is compatible with an Ipod, Sirious and maybe streaming Pandora.

I'm looking at an Onkyo TX-8050 receiver and maybe a pair of Infinity Primus 363 speakers to start with. The question is would these make a good fit? If not, what are some other options that I should be looking at? Are there any comparable speakers to the 363's that might run a little bit cheaper?

Thanks for any input. I'd really appreciate any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchwab View Post

Hi,

I'm very new at this, but have been trying to do some research. It looks like there are several exports here that may be able to guide me in the right direction. I'll be hosting an outdoor reception this summer and I would like to provide some music for dancing. I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade my 10 year old system, but not looking to break the bank. I'd like to get something that is affordable that I can eventually build on. I need something that is compatible with an Ipod, Sirious and maybe streaming Pandora.

I'm looking at an Onkyo TX-8050 receiver and maybe a pair of Infinity Primus 363 speakers to start with. The question is would these make a good fit? If not, what are some other options that I should be looking at? Are there any comparable speakers to the 363's that might run a little bit cheaper?

Thanks for any input. I'd really appreciate any recommendations.

"Outdoor dancing" covers quite a large range of possible operational circumstances.

What I can tell you is that P363s have slightly above average efficiency (93 dB/W) and are not overly electrically fragile. I've found that P163s (same basic drivers) are not good portable speakers because they lack the kind of shock resistance that portable use implies. I replaced them with EV ZX-1s (at a considerably higher price) and they are a better fit.

P363s @ < $200 a piece are pretty cheap for what they are.

I am not a proponent of stereo receivers because I find that one can get comparable or superior performance at equal or lower cost and with far better future expansion possibilities with 5.1 AVRs. I would favor the comparable 5.1 AVR from the same manufacturer. If cost is an issue you may find the refurbished avrs at https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php to be attractive for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page