I'm looking for a hi-fi setup under £800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm just entering the hi-fi world. So let me give you all the details.

I want to play my CDs in great quality and eventually get a turntable. I'm going to need everything (Receiver/Integrated amp + CD player, speakers)

I'm looking for just a stereo setup. The room I'll be playing it in is carpeted, and I estimate somewhere around 5x4 meters. I have some wooden furniture and obviously a bed.

Of course, I'll be putting most of the money towards the speakers.

I hope this is enough info for you to come up with some suggestions, if not, just ask.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorde View Post

Hey guys,

I'm just entering the hi-fi world. So let me give you all the details.

I want to play my CDs in great quality and eventually get a turntable. I'm going to need everything (Receiver/Integrated amp + CD player, speakers)

I'm looking for just a stereo setup. The room I'll be playing it in is carpeted, and I estimate somewhere around 5x4 meters. I have some wooden furniture and obviously a bed.

Of course, I'll be putting most of the money towards the speakers.

I hope this is enough info for you to come up with some suggestions, if not, just ask.

Pretty limited budget, particularly since you are not in the US where good stuff can be had relatively cheap.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If your in the UK checkout Sevenoaks they usually offer HI-Fi packages in various price ranges. Just looking around the site you could get an Arcam mini solo and a pair of B&W 685's in that price range. smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
AVBristol was having a sale on some Wharfedale speakers.
And EBay/NewEgg are pretty good deal spots too.

I'm still new to the game myself so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, however I will say that I've been happy with my Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelves as fronts, matched with a 12" sub. I'm looking towards an eventual expansion to 3.1 or 5.1 surround though. You may be more interested in floor standers and AVBristol has the Wharfedale 10.5's on sale. They get some mixed reviews, like all speakers I imagine. But this was a pretty good write up:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57562056-47/bigger-is-better-wharfedale-diamond-10.5-speakers/

And it would still leave you over half your budget for the "other toys". smile.gif

And EBay-UK has some decent bookshelves for reasonable prices on first glance too. Your room isn't that large so you might be able to put together a nice lil package if you do some looking around.

P.S. - you may want to consider your speaker placement options to help decide between bookshelves or floorstanders. You should plan to pair bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer - and you'll need stands for them and/or a place to put them.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll keep them in mind.

I've been looking at the Marantz PM6004 and that's definitely what I'm getting for an amp.

Then I was looking at the Q Acoustics 2020i, but then again I could really use speaker recommendations.

How do you think that would pair up for me? It's certainly under budget which is preferable!

Thanks to the Sevenoak recommendation! There's package deals for the PM6004! If anyone's interested in helping me in more detail here's a link:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/k/av-hi-fi-package-deals

Just look for the Marantz PM6004

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The SevenOaks package deal with the Monitor Audio BX2 would be nice, I bet. Those BX2's get some rave reviews.

From what I've read you should also concider pairing that Marantz with it's CD player: Marantz CD6004.

In this review of the PM6004, it talks about pairing it with it's CD player (CD6004) and gives speaker pairing recommendations too:

Add a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6 T floorstanders (£800) and you’ll be especially happy, but B&W’s 685s (£380) or KEF’s Q300s (£450), both standmounted designs, are also highly recommended partners for what is a simply superb, affordable, hi-fi separates system.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6004

Good luck, and have fun! smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorde View Post

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll keep them in mind.

I've been looking at the Marantz PM6004 and that's definitely what I'm getting for an amp.

Then I was looking at the Q Acoustics 2020i, but then again I could really use speaker recommendations.

How do you think that would pair up for me? It's certainly under budget which is preferable!

Thanks to the Sevenoak recommendation! There's package deals for the PM6004! If anyone's interested in helping me in more detail here's a link:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/k/av-hi-fi-package-deals

Just look for the Marantz PM6004

Thanks!
All are excellent speakers. The Monitors have a more open top end. To some that might mean bright. The other 2 are a bit rolled off and give a smoother presentation. If your a rocker I would go w/the Monitors. But I'm sure you can demo before deciding. In the end it's what you like. When you go out make sure you bring some of your favorite CD's to demo the gear.smile.gif
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page