Static in dialogue on Yamaha RX-V373. Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i've been trying to dial in my set up for a while now and I'm really close but I feel the vocals/dialogue have a static-y sound, especially noticable behind sounds like 'sss' 'th' 'sh' etc... The volume is fine, its just not as clear as the rest of the audio is.

Right now i'm using the PEQ from the YPAO set up and most everything sounds frickin' great - music is really good & strong, bass has a nice sound, etc... The dialogue is not on the same quality level. I've tried to manually set the EQs and I did get rid of some of the static by reducing the high end a lot, but that seems to have killed some of the other sounds & I've read using the YPAO PEQ is good.

Gear:
HTPC, audio coming from optical cable out of onboard audio GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-D3H mobo, Realtek ALC887
YAMAHA RX-V373BL

APC C3BLK Power Filter

Polk PSW505 sub
Polk Monitor 65T front left and right
Polk Monitor 35B surrounds
Polk Monitor 15C center

Speakers set to small, crossover at 80hz

I know its not the speakers... because music sounds super clear. I'm using MPC-HC with LAV audio/video, but the static is present in any video player (VLC, flash, etc)

When i run stereo - > 5ch mode it sounds the same off all speakers, so I know its not just the center channel. I've tried moving the speakers around in the room a bit, away from the wall etc but it doesn't affect dialogue (once again music sounds awesome)

Where do I go from here? Re-tune EQ? new sound card? different receiver (i just bought this thing...)? something else? I'm fairly new to this but I've been doing my research. My set up is almost complete, I want to get clearer vocals though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
IMO the main problem is the optical link. They often cause problems and are not optimal.

I am not that familiar with the specifics of your source equipment, but I would suggest that you get a sound card that has 5.1 discrete analog outputs and connect them directly to the receiver input jacks by using cables that have 3.5mm 2-channel plugs on one end and RCA plugs on the other end.

The Diamond Multimedia XS51 is a good one that I recommend. MWAVE is selling it for under $20 online (quite a bargain).

That should be a huge improvement.

Your speakers are certainly not a problem.

Set your front L/R speakers to full-range operation and set the Low-pass filter ON YOUR SUBWOOFER to around 50 or 60 Hz and use the LINE IN jacks to connect it.

The system will have much better clearer bass with the subwoofer restricted to operating below 50 Hz.

The center speaker will sound best for dialog/voice if set to operate only above 100-120 Hz.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

What about going HDMI out from the PC? I'm using the AMD APU ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281 )
Then I lose all the EQ functions that come with the onboard sound.

When connecting analog for 5.1 do I need more than 1 stereo -> rca cable? And if so where the hell do I plug it in? all inputs look like they only have 1 set of inputs. http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=au.yamaha.com&asset_id=54045 page 9 shows all the hookups.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I tried sound output via HDMI - the static sound is still there frown.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx V373 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V373 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page