Question about comparing two speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first "real" system is Atlantic Technology 2400.
I just hooked up an Atlantic Technology 350 THX
Other than these two sets, I have a lot of other craigslist finds that I play with in the 2 channel room.

I just got the 350THX and as I compare them to the 2400 with a "poor" audio recording the 2400s are more dynamic and alive. But with blu ray tracks and movies the 350s come alive and are amazing...Not leaps above the 2400 but better. According to AT, even with the age the 350thx is still a more "refined" design than the 2400.

My question is, is this likely a case of better speaker rendering poor recordings..and the 2400s coloration makes bad tracks sound better where the 350s are more revealing? Its almost a "hollow" sound...if i didn't know better I would say they are out of phase. I will say this, despite the "lack of dynamics" they appear to have, the detail is still there. More spacious and resolute sounding than the 2400.
I have seen the ability for great speakers sounding worse than cheap ones on bad recordings, but this is something weird.
Given the age of the 350s, what is the best way to verify each driver (five in each speaker) is working correctly? Simply impedance check on the terminals would tell me?

I know this is a weird question, I just need someone to bounce it off of, I want to understand better.

Another question real quick, when watching netflix and set receiver (onkyo nr709) to direct which turns into 2 channels the audio gets much quieter and less dynamic. Any other listening mode (PLIIz/x and DTS-neo) the audio gets much louder and more dynamic. Do those post-processors really add that much to it? More than just channel separation, it is though it boosts some frequencies.

Thanks folks, just tryin' to get smarter here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You are comparing very different speakers, 2-way vs. 3-way, but that's not all. The 3-way has more drivers, bigger drivers, and the drivers are arranged for optimum dispersion, so you get better off-axis response as well. It's not uncommon for a top quality speaker to reveal shortcomings in a recording... in this case, the comparison is stark as I'll wager your "poor" recording was compressed lossily, while BD audio uses lossless compression. The difference is subtle, but audible if you know what to listen for.

The driver geometry also affects spaciousness. The WMTMWs in the 350-series use larger drivers where it's needed, for bass, and smaller drivers where small size is beneficial, for dispersion through the midrange frequencies. This gives frequencies in the octaves below the 2400's 2.3KHz tweeter crossover wider dispersion, improving lateral reflections that we perceive as spaciousness.

If you want to learn about this stuff, I recommend Floyd Toole's Sound Reproduction, loudspeakers and rooms. Everything I've said above he goes into with references to peer review journal articles to back him up. Great read, over and over....

Yes, a simple continuity check will verify speakers are functional, but so will an ear close to the speaker, and the latter will hear dynamic issues (eg. voice coil rubbing)

In their defense, the 2400's have added flexibility in the form of XO switches for bass level (boundary compensation) and tweeter level (high frequency energy). Your Onk has Audyssey which is far more sophisticated than these controls. If they're functional, the 350's are a steal!

HAve fun,
Frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page