Getting electrician to wire my room for speakers Friday, would appreciate tips on where to put the wall plates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm aiming to clean up the messy wires going everywhere in my family room HT and add 2 channels for 7.1 at the same time. The electrician will be running my 12g wire from the front of the room to the two side positions (for surrounds) and two rears. I can't decide where the best location is to mount the wall plates for the terminals to plug into.

All speakers will be wall mounted, so i thought perhaps I should just cut holes behind where they would be mounted, but I'm not entirely sure which speakers I want or even exactly where they will go. I'm certain they will be ~6' off the floor for the rears, but the surrounds are a bit more difficult.

So, folks who have speaker wires installed, did you just put the wall plates near the floor and run wires to the speakers wherever they're mounted? Or put them somewhere in the vicinity of the right height, use the wall plate and run wires the shorter distance to the speaker? Or just cut holes where you think the speaker will be in the hopes that you can cover it completely and just attach the bare wire with no wall plate?

Any tips are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would think that strictly from an aesthetic point of view you would want wall plates at the location of each speaker. If you know you're going to wall mount then I'd just use your best guess for location. Wire just coming out of a hole in the wall just looks tacky. Can you hold off on the install until you know what you're getting, and where they're going?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently wired a room and found something called "Low Voltage Open Cable Plate" under "Wall Plates" at the AVS link at the bottom of the forum page. It fits over an electrical box and allows you to run your speaker wire through there and then screw the cover plate over it. It has a hemispherical opening that you can face up or down and it has a nice neat look to it. I have them at speaker height, along the floor. Kind of hard to explain, but is both functional and cosmetic. Check it out.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You can go as fancy, or ghetto, as you want. Anywhere from a hole in the wall, to wall plates with integral binding posts. Depending on how handy you are you could just have your electrician give you an outlet box, or mounting ring, with a length of wire hanging out. You could then go to Monopice and pick out whatever style wall plate suites you.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies. My intention was certainly to use a wall plate with 5 way binding posts on it for a nice clean look, but after thinking about it, that may not fit behind a speaker that's wall mounted (with banana plugs). The only way I would consider leaving the wire coming out of the wall unterminated or without a plate would be if the speaker actually covers it.

I was just wondering if there was any sort of conventional wisdom on this sort of thing. I think what I'll have him do Friday is just wire them to the locations I want (which I'm also not entirely sure about) and install a low voltage box mounted to the stud in the wall, but no wall plate. Then I can get the plates later if I can't cover the hole with the speakers.

The low voltage plate mentioned here looks great, and I saw something similar on monoprice. I think I'm going to use something like that for my TV wiring where I'll have multiple wires.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 309
fwiw, I ran my 7.1 speaker set-up into electrical blue-box, with enough wire to directly connect to the speaker so no wall plate needed.
I took blank plate, drilled a hole thru it, painted it, it's thin enough no problem mounting my Paradign ADP-390's

Keep in mind mounting the speakers process/workflow, I left enough wire so I could have a ladder there, put the speaker on ladder shelf, attach wires, then hang the speaker.

Good luck and have fun with it all.

some pictures

Rough in
IMG_5764.JPG

Before hanging the rear/side surrounds
IMG_7889.JPG

a early picture showing back wall rear surrounds mounted on wall flush
IMG_9379.JPGp

more recent rear view:
_MG_5464.jpg
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Looks like the kids are eager to enjoy the new theater! Mine are also anxious to have everything back to normal so we can watch shows again tongue.gif

The electrician came today and I had everything done. He was an absolute bargain ($250 for almost 5 hours of work!), and his work is fantastic. Got all the wires where they needed to be, even though some of them were in very difficult spots. We discussed whether to cut a 2x4 hole and put in low voltage electrical plates (like this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042507&p_id=7013&format=2 ) so that I can just put my own plates on them or just drill holes in the wall and run the wire through it. I ended up electing to go with the latter, since I figure I'll be covering the hole anyway, and would prefer not to have the 2"x4" hole that I'd have to patch if I moves the speakers. I couldn't have fit a binding post plate on the outside and still put a speaker over it anyway, so I think this'll work out.

Now to just get all the speakers!

btw, your theater looks incredible mtbdudex!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Thx Chris and good luck on your project.
I understand being in build phase and all that, hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad2 64GB using Tapatalk
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page