Another 5.1 or 7.1 Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All. Please let me know which setup (5.1 or 7.1) would work best for this space and help with speaker placement. The home is currently in construction and I’m working with the mfg’s low voltage contractor so I can do anything I want. It would only cost me $80 more for 7.1 installation. I’m trying to get the best sound for the space I have.

The spousal unit is part of the group known as “I don’t want to see it” She’s looking for the “clean” look with flush mounted speakers and we plan on an AV rack in another room. Those questions will be asked in another thread.

Here are the challenges. There will be a fireplace and mantle mostly centered in the basement. This is where the TV will go. I believe the mantle will be 4-5’ from the floor. I might be able to dictate the height of the mantle some. The ceiling height is 8’ directly over the center of the fireplace because of a beam. The rest of the basement is 9’. On both sides of the fire place are large windows with only a couple feet between the rock fireplace and window.
Currently have a 52” Samsung LCD TV that will be mounted over the fireplace. I know the TV will be higher than eye level. I’m going to try and mount in-wall speakers on both sides for the TV but the center channel will be the challenge. Not sure where it is going to go. The low voltage guy said he can put the subwoofer in the space below the stairs and make an access door\screen. The lower half of the stairs is open to the basement.

The surround\rear speakers are going to be ceiling mounted. Do I go 5.1 or 7.1?

Here is a copy of the basement floor plans with my sketch on top.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 569
With your seating away from the back wall, you are an ideal candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout. The trick with in-ceiling and on-ceiling speakers is to spread them as far away from the listening position as symmetrically possible. Remember that surround sound is supposed to come from around you, not just above. Spreading the speakers apart makes them sound like they're up on the walls rather than overhead.

The side speakers should go directly to the sides of the listening position and the rears as far back as you can (spread about 60 degrees apart to hear stereo separation behind you). With the amount of space you have around your couch, you should get excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Sanjay~
What do you think about the idea of placing the sub in the area below the stairs? I know you won't really know until you try it but if it is a non-starter I rather not cut a hole in the dry wall there.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 569
That would work if you're trying to hide the sub. But, if you don't mind it being seen, I would put it at the middle of the front wall for better low frequency response.

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page