Temporary Outdoor Theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. So I came to this forum about 6 years ago to help build my surround sound, and thanks to the help I received it turned out awesome. So now I'm back.

Unfortunately my budget is smaller this time. Anyway, I had this idea that I would start hosting a movie night with the neighbors around my cul de sac. I bought a HD projector (Optoma EP719 DLP) and will probably be running either dvd's or netflix streaming from my laptop. I'm looking for ideas. I will be showing the movie in my driveway with picture showing on my garage door or a screen (not sure yet). My neighbors/friends will be sitting
in folding chairs in the driveway. The driveway is about 15 yards in length. My wife gave me the green light since my birthday is coming up, but also gave me a $500 budget rolleyes.gif. I got the projector for $140 leaving about $400 or so for receiver/speakers. I could in theory lug my system outside, but was wondering if there are any better options out there as far as portability within my budget. The system will most likely end up in my basement once it's finished so I wouldn't mind it being decent if possible. Your advice is much appreciated! Things I'd consider (refurbished items/used), soundboards, box solutions, or piecemail.

Any advice whether it is set up advice, general ideas, actual receiver/speaker products, or any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am not very techy so bare with me if you have questions. Once again ($300-$400 budget)

Thanks again in advance for your time and advice.

Derron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
With your budget I'd start looking on Craigslist. I'm thinking a useable avr and a pair of floorstanders. Something like the Infinity p363 or Pioneer fs52. Not too big and bulky, and they would play nice when moved to your basement.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. I have been looking at craigslist. You are probably right, that the best thing might be to find some items on craigslist and then get opinions on those items since my budget is so limited. Do you think it would be worth it to by a subwoofer for the outdoors?

I'll see what's available on craigslist!

Thanks again.
post #4 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you have a Fry's nearby you might even be able to do new for close to your budget.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

No Fry's nearby. That's where I actually bought some of my equipment last year. I think I got my Polk speakers and maybe my Onkyo receiver. Ok....so here's the first option on craigslist. Thoughts?

Panasonic SA-HT95 DVD Home Theatre Surround System Great price, grea - $135

Panasonic SA-HT95 DVD Home Theatre Surround System
Great price, great performance!
post #6 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Denon Home Theater System - Receiver, DVD, 5 Speakers, Subwoofer - $175 (Hilliard)

The Denon Home Theater in a box system includes a 5.1 receiver, DVD player, 4 surround speakers, center channel and subwoofer. Everything works perfect and is from an adult only, non-smoking home. I actually have all the original boxes and everything. This would be a great addition to any flat screen TV.

This is a BARGIN for a VERY NICE surround receiver, DVD player, 5 speakers and a SUBWOOFER.

You will NOT be disappointed. Make a reasonable offer and this thing is yours TODAY.

post #7 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Sony Receiver STR-DE595 w/speakers - $75 (Upper Arlington)

Used Sony Receiver-excellent working condition. Includes 5 KLH speakers and 1 KLH subwoofer. Remote also included.

Key Features: 5.1 channels, 500 Watt, Digital Cinema Sound EX, Dolby Digital, Dolby ProLogic II, AM/FM tuners

post #8 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Amy thoughts or ideas about the above 3 options?

Thanks.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 517
All three options are terrible. None of them have any dynamic range, and you will really want dynamic range. I would be looking at a full range 2.0 setup for the same money, it will sound a lot better. I would look for tower speakers. They will be easy to set up and put away. Look at stereo systems, not surround sound systems. Also look at used pro-audio, like a pair of these Behringer Eurolives, they are self amplified so you can skip the receiver as long as you have some analogue outputs on the disc player.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Shady,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually about to pull the trigger on the Dennon system and try to get it for $100. So, I'm assuming you think that the sound would be crap outside because of a lack of power? I don't want the cops getting called so I'm not sure how to handle that. Also, I think I want a receiver anyway since I plan to move this system into my basement/future mancave. I will hold off on this purchase and look for more options per your advice. If anyone is bored and want to scope out Craigslist.org in Columbus Ohio for suggestions that would be amazing. That's an awful lot to ask, but worth a shot! LOL

Once again Shady, thanks for the reply. The search continues!
post #11 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sound is reinforced in a room due to reflections off of the walls and ceilings. Many home audio speakers depend on that for their loudness. Outside is a different story, conventional speakers will lose a lot of energy without any boundaries. This is why you see many outside speakers have horns or wave guides; this is for controlled directivity, they have to focus the sound in effect.

Anyway, here is a pair of Klipsch Bookshelf speakers listed recently on CS for the Columbus area: Klipsch B3. They are pretty good for your application. The price is right, and they will work well inside as well as out. They won't have much bass, but they will be easy to move around and they will be a lot more powerful than conventional dome tweeter speakers. For bass, on your budget there is just not a lot you can do unless you get tower speakers. An affordable subwoofer is going to sound like nothing outside unless your are sitting right next to it. You might keep your eyes peeled for used Klipsch KG or Heresy speakers, those would be very good for your application, they can sometimes be had cheaply and they will have significant bass output.

You also have a Guitar Center in Columbus, you should go in there and check out their pro-audio section, often you can find good prices on used live sound speakers that would be perfect for an outdoor theater.
post #12 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing, I wouldn't bother trying to get a receiver that you can use in a future mancave, any receiver you could afford won't have modern features like HDMI inputs and outputs which is what you would want for a serious system. I would just get something old and inexpensive.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^
Find the cheapest 100+WPC AVR/Amp that you can find, and the cheapest speakers rated 100WPC.

Whereas if you are looking for something for your 'mancave' then you should spend more time(and money), finding an AVR or 2 channel Amp that fits and sounds best for that setup. I would be doubtful that you would find something that fits all of these requirements for cheap and in a short timeframe.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

ShadyJ, This is why I came here. I really appreciate you taking the time to search Craigslist for me in my area. Unfortunately the guy had already sold those Klipsch Bookshelf speakers. So, you were apparently right that the price was right (someone got them for $150). Please let me know if you find anything else that fits the bill.

I am definitely taking both yours and underminded's advice and splitting up the projects. I'll worry about the mancave later with hopefully are larger budget. What I'll probably do is move my current surround sound setup down to the mancave and buy something else for the livingroom that might be inferior in sound but more appealing visually which would probably make the wife happy.

So the search continues. Any brand names besides Klipsch I should be looking for?

I will be basically scouring craigslist in Columbus, Ohio if anyone has time to search for some suggestions.

Thanks all for the help.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

How does this look? Anything I should consider?

From Craigslist:

I have jenson amp forsale its 4 x 100 watts 40 dallars for 50 ill throw all the wires to hook it up thanks for looking
post #16 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol, that is just an amp. You will need speakers for it! It is intended for car audio too.

Here is some speakers that will work fine:
Klipsch Heresy II. That auction will probably end up over your budget though, but those would be perfect speakers. Easy to move around, powerful, and has some bass (they won't have huge bass though).

Here is a guy who has some Klipsch KG4s for sale for 300. Those will be powerful and have decent bass. Shipping will probably be about another $150.

Here's a pair of Klipsch towers that might be within your budget even when factoring shipping.

Another pair, some pretty decent Reference towers. Shipping shouldn't be that awful since these are only a state away. If you are up for a drive, you could just go pick those up within a day. Those are reference series speakers, very nice! They have great sound quality but also good dynamics that can work well for your application. These might be my first choice from an of the ones I mentioned.

Just a reminder, I would urge you to drop in that Guitar Center in your city and see what they have in the live sound dept. One Guitar Center near me had some used Rokit 10-3s for 325 each recently, that would have been perfect for your application if a little over budget. I would be looking at QSC, Electro Voice, Mackie, JBL, Yamaha, etc.. PA type speakers.

Here is a cheap receiver in the Columbus craigslist that will work fine for any Klipsch or other home audio speaker.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, chances are the analogue audio jacks on your computer is going to be lousy. I would urge you to get a cheap USB sound interface so you don't have to deal with electronic interference of your audio jacks. It'll be making all kind of awful noises. Check something like this out. That ought to sound good. This one is more expensive but might be a bit more reliable since you actually have to install drivers for it, if you can swing the extra cash for it, that might be worth it. It will have very high quality sound playback compared to most on-board PC sound.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

shadyJ, You are the man! I can't wait to get home from work and check out those suggestions.

By the way, I did know the Jenson was just and amp. Underminded had suggested buying an amp and I just wanted to see if that would work. I honestly am not completely sure when I should use and amp or not so I guess your LOL wasn't completely off base.

I'm going to try and swing past that Guitar Center this afternoon.

Also, as far as the computer audio. Right now I'm running HDMI from computer to Receiver and then to the speakers and TV. I kind of planned doing that for this one too if I could find a cheap receiver with HDMI ins. How does that setup peform for audio? That's a good point though, because there is a good chance that my cheap reciever would not have HDMI and I didn't even think about how to run the audio from the computer.

Thanks again!
post #19 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I might skip a receiver with HDMI for this setup. HDMI is nice, but I wouldn't even bother for audio unless you are going full surround sound. There are cheap receivers that can give you HDMI ins and outs, but super entry level receivers kinda scare me. I would worry about the reliability and functionality of those. They would also take a hefty bite out of an already modest budget. Remember the biggest factor in sound quality here is going to be your speakers, not the receiver. My advice is to reserve most of your money for the speakers. The nice thing about the type of speakers I am recommending is they do not need a lot of juice to get loud, so even a 40 or 50 watt per channel amp will make them blaze.

If you go with a standalone amp like underminded suggests, you will want some better line level analogue outputs than what your computer likely has, so I would really recommend getting a USB sound interface in that case. You can get decent used pro-audio amps from Crown, Alesis, Behringer, and QSC for pretty cheap if you look around. This is a good one, for example. Here is another. Some pro-audio brands scare me as well though, I would stay away from Peavey, Pyle, and Skytronics, no matter how cheap you can get that stuff.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

shadyJ, or whoever else would like to chime in. How do you think my Polk Audio R300's would do outside? It wouldn't be too much trouble to lug them out to the driveway and then maybe I could spend more money somewhere else. As long as I don't have to use my receiver (because of all of the unhooking and hooking). It wouldn't be too much trouble to just unhook those 2 (or 3 speakers if I use my center chanel - Polk Audio CSR) Do they have enough wattage to do the trick or do I need to continue to look for something else?
post #21 of 28 Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think those Polks will handle loud volumes very well, they have pretty sad specs. Remember, what might seem loud inside the house is only going to be a fraction as loud outside. Any of the Klipsch speakers will be far more potent. However, I don't know how loud you intend to listen to stuff. It might be worth trying out to see if that can work for you. It could be that if you get some of the higher end speakers I pointed out, you'll see why those Polks were so inexpensive, and you might just replace them. Personally I would much rather have the Klipsch speakers than Polk, I don't like Polk at all until you get up to the Rti line. Anyway, you might lug the speakers and amp outside and give it a try, see if that will work for you, and if it does, it will save you a lot of money that can be used for other stuff.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Is this a good deal? On Craiglist now in my area:

]

Onkyo TX SR506 7.1 Channel 100 Watt Receiver w/ 3 HDMI Inputs - $165 (Worthington)
++++ Onkyo TX SR506 7.1 Channel 100 Watt Receiver w/ 3 HDMI Inputs

This is a very nice receiver that works perfect and comes with remote and HDMI inputs / outputs.

This receiver is going for $199 - 245 online, so get it while you can!

I also have other great audio gear. If you are interested, see this link:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/search/ele?query=354-1235&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Call, or text, before 9pm, or email any time.

Thanks,

Paul 354-1235

(Note -- sometimes Craigs has trouble delivering email, so if I do not reply, please call or text...)

Additional Information about Onkyo TX SR506 7.1 Channel 100 Watt Receiver

Product Information

In the case of Onkyo A/V receivers, Onkyo means a whole lot more than just affordability and standard functionality. You won't find a better example than the TX-SR506, which also offers high-definition media capability and advanced sound correction technologies. With an HDMI platform handling 1080p video from three sources, the TX-SR506 brings polish and peak performance to high-definition displays and sources. Legendary Onkyo amplification drive and power set the foundation for delivering bass crunch and vocal clarity. And, thanks to the latest Audyssey technologies, you get to enjoy a sweeping soundstage even at low volumes. Easily holding its own among higher-priced A/V receivers, the TX-SR506 adds serious impetus to home theater.

Model -- SR506

Key Features

Channels -- 7.1

Output Power 100 Watt

Amplifier Output Details

75 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 7 channel(s) ( surround ), 90 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 7 channel(s) ( surround )

HDMI -- 3 in 1 out

Built-in Decoders

DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Receiver Tuner Type -- Digital
post #23 of 28 Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a meh deal. Not a great discount considering what it goes for new. Here is a refurbished, similarly spec'd one for nearly the same price. Also remember that home audio equipment is nearly as durable as pro-audio stuff. Robust pro-audio amps were made for touring, so they can take some rugged handling and different weather conditions. If you pop that Onkyo in and out of the house enough, it will not last. If it's something you only do a few times a year, I think it could take it,but if you are whipping it out every weekend, its probably not the type of equipment you want to go for. You will also want to place it in some top of cabinet that will shield the air vents from moisture, as even a light drizzle could short out the unit and break it. You could also get something cheap and old, like that $40 receiver I linked to, because the upside to that is if it does break, big deal, it was only $40. It isn't as if a newer receiver like that Onkyo is going to have better sound quality.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok....this might be really stupid, but it never hurts to ask. Should I consider something like this? If so, is that a decent price?

from Craigslist.org

(2) Peavey PA Tower Speakers - $250 (Columbus)
This is a pair of Peavey PA tower speakers. Price includes both speakers. Used, working condition.

$250 for the pair, or best offer
post #25 of 28 Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That style of speaker is more along the lines of what I would be looking for if I were you, however Peavey is not at all known for high fidelity sound. I would try to get that same style of speaker from Klipsch, JBL, Behringer, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.
post #26 of 28 Old 05-11-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

That style of speaker is more along the lines of what I would be looking for if I were you, however Peavey is not at all known for high fidelity sound. I would try to get that same style of speaker from Klipsch, JBL, Behringer, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.
I would argue that some of the brands you have listed are also not know for sonic quality either and once you factor in reliability-the list gets shorter.

I would argue that Peavey suffers from a bad reputation because of the price. Since they are generally on the lower end of the price range-the people who typically buy them don't know what they are doing-so the end result is bad sound. Not so much because of the product-but rather who is using it.

Give a professional level instrument to a beginner and the result will be less than steller. On the other hand give a student level instrument to a professional player and it will be just fine. Sure a more professional instrument can offer the professional better control and such-but it does little for the beginner.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #27 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

I would argue that some of the brands you have listed are also not know for sonic quality either and once you factor in reliability-the list gets shorter.

I would argue that Peavey suffers from a bad reputation because of the price. Since they are generally on the lower end of the price range-the people who typically buy them don't know what they are doing-so the end result is bad sound. Not so much because of the product-but rather who is using it.

Give a professional level instrument to a beginner and the result will be less than steller. On the other hand give a student level instrument to a professional player and it will be just fine. Sure a more professional instrument can offer the professional better control and such-but it does little for the beginner.

You have a point, but my hunch is that those big peaveys are expected to use with outboard EQing and sound processing more so than other speakers. I can't believe their native frequency response would be even close to linear. This is likely true for other brands of live sound speakers as well, but I would guess moreso with Peavey. I could certainly be wrong though. If the OP bought them and set them up, and the tweeter is way too hot, that could make for a harsh experience. I would definitely insist on hearing them before buying.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You have a point, but my hunch is that those big peaveys are expected to use with outboard EQing and sound processing more so than other speakers. I can't believe their native frequency response would be even close to linear. This is likely true for other brands of live sound speakers as well, but I would guess moreso with Peavey. I could certainly be wrong though. If the OP bought them and set them up, and the tweeter is way too hot, that could make for a harsh experience. I would definitely insist on hearing them before buying.
And a hunch based on what?

If you look at the driver quality of the Peaveys-vs the others listed-you might start to "hunch" the other way.

Agreed that the freq response would probably not be real flat-but then neither are the others listed. You are talking about lower end products here-that are built to a price point for a target market.

If a lot more money was available-a lot better performance could be had. Just like a car-you get better performance with more money-so don't expect the lower end products to stand up to the higher end products.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page