enabling lfe to +10db affects my 2-channel music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed switching my lfe db rating affects my stereo music and not just 5.1 like I initially thought. I've always had this rating set to 0, but now I set it to +10db and my music is much more bassy but i don't know which setting is truer to the artist's intentions. Is +10db the correct setting for stereo music as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
More information, please. What processor are you using and how are you adding 10dB of gain? I am not familiar with the term "lfe db rating".

As a general rule, you only need to do the 10dB boost to the SW input when using multichannel analog connections. With multichannel digital, the software handles it on its own. With stereo sources, both analog and digital, no such adjustment is needed as there is no LFE to boost.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
edit: I've noticed Windows 7 seems to have all 5.1 channels on my receiver turned on at all times. So even when I listen to stereo music, my receiver is displaying 5.1, but there is no sound coming from my center/surround speakers. This LFE setting may be thinking I am listening to a 5.1 audio source and is accidentally upping the decibels when it shouldn't. So now I know I should not be getting this extra bass in my stereo music. Now I just have to fix this problem with 5.1 always being turned on. I love technology.....

I have my 5.1 system hooked up to a Sony STR-DA4600ES which is hooked up to my computer. Here is a snapsoft of the software I use to configure my receiver:

In the red box, I can select either 0dB, +10dB, or AUTO. When I select either +10dB or AUTO, there is more bass in everything from movies to stereo music. I'm assuming this is LFE control. Which setting should I select? Thanks.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd use AUTO.

From the description in the manual, the AUTO SW Level setting means the receiver only applies the 10dB boost to the .1 channel when appropriate. The boost needs to happen when the source actually has an LFE channel, which is recorded 10dB low on purpose, with the expectation that the processor software will raise it up to the proper playback level. But, your computer software appears to be doing some sort of processing so that stereo sources are sent as 5.1. The stereo source material does not have an LFE channel and the sub should not be boosted in that case. But, your AVR has no way of knowing that your computer software has screwed the pooch and is sending content in the LFE channel that should not be boosted.

I think you need to figure out how to set your computer so that it simply transmits the source content without doing any processing of its own.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post

edit: I've noticed Windows 7 seems to have all 5.1 channels on my receiver turned on at all times. So even when I listen to stereo music, my receiver is displaying 5.1, but there is no sound coming from my center/surround speakers. This LFE setting may be thinking I am listening to a 5.1 audio source and is accidentally upping the decibels when it shouldn't. So now I know I should not be getting this extra bass in my stereo music. Now I just have to fix this problem with 5.1 always being turned on. I love technology.....

I have my 5.1 system hooked up to a Sony STR-DA4600ES which is hooked up to my computer. Here is a snapsoft of the software I use to configure my receiver:

In the red box, I can select either 0dB, +10dB, or AUTO. When I select either +10dB or AUTO, there is more bass in everything from movies to stereo music. I'm assuming this is LFE control. Which setting should I select? Thanks.

Look at your PS3 settings on HDMI-1. 0dB is the setting on that input..
post #6 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had the same concern/question when I first hooked up the analog outputs of my Oppo BDP-103 to the 5.1 analog inputs of my Lexicon MC-12B pre/pro. I used an AIX test disc and an SPL meter to confirm that the Lexicon was applying the 10db boost to the LFE channel automatically.

I suggest you try this approach to know for sure; it is fairly simple.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Look at your PS3 settings on HDMI-1. 0dB is the setting on that input..
Based on the description in the manual, that should also be set to AUTO. If he has his PS3 set to output PCM or plays a movie with a 5.1 PCM soundtrack, the 0dB setting means the AVR will not do the needed 10dB boost of LFE.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page