Wondering about plugging ports. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm wondering if I am a perfect candidate for plugging ports. As you can see my polk tsi400s are tucked pretty close into the walls due to the shape of the tv wall. THe speakers are bottom ported. Obviously there is some boominess and moving them out is both not possible or practical. Would plugging the ports in my case be a no brainer?

The pic was taken immediately after painting the back wall and hanging the tv. The tv was on the stand, with the center IN the stand on the first shelf and bright white back wall. I've since gotten a new receiver(marantz 5007), moved the center to the edge of the stand and angled up. But, the position of the towers sucks and there isn't much I can do about it position wise that I can think of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

I'm wondering if I am a perfect candidate for plugging ports. As you can see my polk tsi400s are tucked pretty close into the walls due to the shape of the tv wall. THe speakers are bottom ported. Obviously there is some boominess and moving them out is both not possible or practical. Would plugging the ports in my case be a no brainer?

The pic was taken immediately after painting the back wall and hanging the tv. The tv was on the stand, with the center IN the stand on the first shelf and bright white back wall. I've since gotten a new receiver(marantz 5007), moved the center to the edge of the stand and angled up. But, the position of the towers sucks and there isn't much I can do about it position wise that I can think of.

The first thing I'd try is exploiting the Audyssey Multieq feature of that new AVR or have you already done so?

The boominess is probably not just due to the way the ports are ducting after the air leaves the speakers but the overall effect of the room itself.

I don't see a subwoofer, do you have one? If not, you need a good one. I would put your TSI 400s in the about same class as my Primus P363s, and I wouldn't enjoy them nearly as much without my Paradigm 12" subwoofer. Cross the TSi400s at 80 Hz and the port becomes vastly less important.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
^^^ The sub is beside the right front tower.

Shawn
post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

^^^ The sub is beside the right front tower.

OK, I wonder if the Tsi400s are set to large or small.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the sub is next to the right speaker, it is a 12" velodyne dls-4000r, front firing and ported.

I have run Audyssey and manually set all speakers to small and crossed over at 80Hz.

I just figured that since placing towers close to a wall creates boominess, and I don't have much choice given my room, that maybe plugging the ports may tighten things up a bit.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The boominess that results from near-wall placement of a free-standing speaker is broadband, starting around 1KHz and getting worse as frequency drops. Research BSC - baffle step compensation - for details on what's going on. The port's only active in the lowest octave and so will not affect your perception of boominess.

That requires a location change, or a crossover change. Room correction SW, like Audyssey, is your best bet.

Have fun,
frank
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Why don't you just plug the ports and see if it helps?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted some opinions on what to expect. It sounds like it will have little effect for me so I am glad I asked whether I try it or not. I thought it might make a notable improvement and may have thought that anyway just because of the placebo effect. Now I know from more experienced members that it probably won't prove to be beneficial.

Thanks to all those that replied.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Rerun Audyssey after you plug them.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page