Hiding wires at back of stereo cabinet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I have a pretty nice cabinet for my equipment with shelves and I just rearranged the height of a few shelves to make way for a new AVR and amplifier, giving a few inches of height between the shelves for equal spacing of my equipment. I have a thin, black wood piece that is made to screw into the back of the cabinet to basically limit the view of the cables, as opposed to seeing the back wall which makes all the cables back there very visible, especially during the daytime. I never use this piece as it's kind of a pain in the neck. Previously, I had a full cabinet and really couldn't see any of the wires back there. I'm looking for opinions on how to make the cables less visible. I was thinking of ordering some foam blocks, maybe 17"x3"(whatever the height between the top of the equipment to the next shelf)x2" in black/dark grey or something like that which I think could be a good solution. What do you think of this and do you know of any better alternatives? Appreciate any help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Have you tried cable ties, or Velcro cable wraps, to organize your cables?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Boy View Post

Hi Folks,

I have a pretty nice cabinet for my equipment with shelves and I just rearranged the height of a few shelves to make way for a new AVR and amplifier, giving a few inches of height between the shelves for equal spacing of my equipment. I have a thin, black wood piece that is made to screw into the back of the cabinet to basically limit the view of the cables, as opposed to seeing the back wall which makes all the cables back there very visible, especially during the daytime. I never use this piece as it's kind of a pain in the neck. Previously, I had a full cabinet and really couldn't see any of the wires back there. I'm looking for opinions on how to make the cables less visible. I was thinking of ordering some foam blocks, maybe 17"x3"(whatever the height between the top of the equipment to the next shelf)x2" in black/dark grey or something like that which I think could be a good solution. What do you think of this and do you know of any better alternatives? Appreciate any help on this.

This has always been a problem for me...going from one equipment rack to another. I am using a wood entertainment center that measures about 14' wide (the width of my LV RM short wall) and 6' tall. Some glass doors and some wood doors are used. Instead of running the wires out the back into a "rats nest" of wires, I used a key hole saw, and drilled holes into the rear corners of the shelves. I run the ac cables through one hole and the other cables through the other. I don't see any reason to have to hide the cables using this method.

Espo77
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Look at the Jagwire Alloy stick-on wire clips and similar products at MCM Electronics and other electronics suppliers.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have a similar issue. I have an open glass shelving unit and TV mount that is fully openin the back and thus, shows all my wires. I love the shelving unit as I think it looks very nice, but the mass of wires in the back destroys any good looks the unit has. I am thinking of taking a small wooden box, open on two ends (or maybe "U" shaped) and using that to hide the wires. Anyone have any experience in hiding wires in a shelving unit of this nature? I happen to have a lot of equipment in the unit (PS3, PS2, AVR, Cablebox, Modem, wireless router, center speaker and Wii)

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I have an open glass shelving unit and TV mount that is fully openin the back and thus, shows all my wires.

Sounds similar to the unit I'm using (except mine doesn't have the TV mount). Mine has two wooden vertical support posts in the rear, and I mounted these cheap plastic brackets vertically on the backside of each post.

All of my wires are hidden inside short pieces of black split loom that hang off the ground between each of the plastic brackets. It completely hides all my cabling and also helps organize things as all my HDMI cables are in one piece of split loom, all power cables are in another, etc.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Sounds similar to the unit I'm using (except mine doesn't have the TV mount). Mine has two wooden vertical support posts in the rear, and I mounted these cheap plastic brackets vertically on the backside of each post.

All of my wires are hidden inside short pieces of black split loom that hang off the ground between each of the plastic brackets. It completely hides all my cabling and also helps organize things as all my HDMI cables are in one piece of split loom, all power cables are in another, etc.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

I had some of those before, but i didnt have enough to hide all my wires. maybe i'll order some more (and bigger ones) and give it another shot. it will definitiely look better than the mass of wires back there now.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why not run the wires inside the cabinet vs outside, as I suggested.

Espo77
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Organise the cables as Espo suggested with cable ties (nylon or velcro) and staple/glue some strips of heavy cotton black fabric over the back of the cabinet. Do it in a couple of overlapping sections vertically and you will be able to get the cables out where you need them, and with less hassle for any changes than a solid panle of timber or plastic.