Use passive RCA speakers with TV / bluray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right so I have some speakers from a micro HI-FI system which has since broken (won't read CD's) but the speakers still work well and I wanted to use them with my TV or bluray player. The speakers have male RCA plugs as inputs despite lacking an inbuilt amp and so a line level input from the TV or bluray player results in nearly inaudible sound. This should have been obvious to me given they were from a stereo which would have had an amp inbuilt rather than in the speakers but did not occur to me at first because they were RCA plugs which are normally used for line level inputs/outputs and so I figured I could just plug them into the RCA audio output on either the TV or the bluray player.

Obviously then to use these speakers I will need an amplifier between the RCA output on either the TV or bluray (still have not decided which I will go for) and the speakers. However, it is hard to find an amp that takes line level audio via RCA and then outputs the audio also over RCA at a level great enough to drive speakers. I am looking for an inexpensive solution and so I would not want a full receiver unit.

Does anyone know of an amp that might meet my needs I could purchase cheaply (in the UK) or alternatively a way of converting the RCA plugs on the speakers to speaker wires or banana plugs so I could use them with this amp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Amplifier-Lightweight-Overheating-Protection-Perfect/dp/B00834RW6U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1368290401&sr=8-14&keywords=stereo+amplifier

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you were to cut the wire, would there be two wires? If so, one is (+) and the other is (-). That's how my vife's cheap Aiwa is. Bare wires can work with any speaker terminal.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
As hinted at by underminded999, you could cut what you currently have and make your own.

Also:
http://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-Wire-Male-Cable/dp/B003U44LA8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

Different lengths are available. Look around and you may be able to find a lower gauge.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #4 of 15 Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/310457972188?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 15 Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I may just cut the wire then, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that! Only thing I am wondering is if you cut it how would you tell which wire was +ve and which one was -ve?

Also thanks for your suggestions sivadselim. The first one wouldn't work without a coupler because the speakers have male RCA plugs but the second one is a potential option.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM

When looking at the wire, is there two wires? One should have markings, the other will have either none or different markings. If only one has markings, then more than likely that is the (+). If both have markings, one should have a solid line, the other will be a broken line. The broken line is (+).
post #7 of 15 Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollac11 View Post

Only thing I am wondering is if you cut it how would you tell which wire was +ve and which one was -ve?

As long as there is some difference between the two wires - be it their color or a ridge or line on one wire or whatever - it doesn't matter which one is (+) and which one is (-). All that matters is that you connect both speakers identically.

If you can't tell the wires apart, though, a set of wires like either of those that I posted in those 2 links will do the trick. If you need couplers, they can be had for very cheap.

post #8 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

One side has a dashed line as suggested by underminded999 so I've decided to cut off the RCA plugs and I will order that cheap little amplifier I linked to in my first post and hopefully it will work okay. Thanks for your help guys!
post #9 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Right so I have some speakers from a micro HI-FI system which has since broken (won't read CD's) but the speakers still work well and I wanted to use them with my TV or bluray player. The speakers have male RCA plugs as inputs despite lacking an inbuilt amp and so a line level input from the TV or bluray player results in nearly inaudible sound. This should have been obvious to me given they were from a stereo which would have had an amp inbuilt rather than in the speakers but did not occur to me at first because they were RCA plugs which are normally used for line level inputs/outputs and so I figured I could just plug them into the RCA audio output on either the TV or the bluray player.

Obviously then to use these speakers I will need an amplifier between the RCA output on either the TV or bluray (still have not decided which I will go for) and the speakers. However, it is hard to find an amp that takes line level audio via RCA and then outputs the audio also over RCA at a level great enough to drive speakers. I am looking for an inexpensive solution and so I would not want a full receiver unit.

Does anyone know of an amp that might meet my needs I could purchase cheaply (in the UK) or alternatively a way of converting the RCA plugs on the speakers to speaker wires or banana plugs so I could use them with this amp: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Amplifier-Lightweight-Overheating-Protection-Perfect/dp/B00834RW6U/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1368290401&sr=8-14&keywords=stereo+amplifier

Thanks in advance

If you look at the ad for the amp, you'll see the adapter is sold under the "frequently purchased" description:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Jack-Phono-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q6LSWM/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

This should solve your problem very simply.

P.S. It looks like you would need the AC adapter as well to use with your TV/Blu Ray

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 243
There IS another possibility that you have not considered.

You could open up the TV and disconnect the internal speakers by cutting the wires off of them and then extend those wires outside the TV to some kind of connector.

Then you could just hook the external speakers to those wires and the amplifiers in the TV would power the external speakers.

The amplifiers in the TV probably would do the job as long as you don't crank the volume really loud.

I did this with my 60-inch Sony TV, which had godawful speakers, and connected some Boston bookshelf speakers to it and it works fine.

By the way; there is a simple method to test the polarity of a speaker and its connections. Just connect a 1.5-volt C-cell (or AA) to the speaker wires and see if the cone moves out or in when the cell is connected.

Make sure both speaker cones move the same way for the same cell polarity, and you will have the same connection polarity on both.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

...doesn't matter which one is (+) and which one is (-). All that matters is that you connect both speakers identically...
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

...By the way; there is a simple method to test the polarity of a speaker and its connections. Just connect a 1.5-volt C-cell (or AA) to the speaker wires and see if the cone moves out or in when the cell is connected.

Make sure both speaker cones move the same way for the same cell polarity, and you will have the same connection polarity on both...

^^^
Yeppers, sure-fire easiest way to determine polarity with passive speakers...fun to do, too!
post #12 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There IS another possibility that you have not considered.

You could open up the TV and disconnect the internal speakers by cutting the wires off of them and then extend those wires outside the TV to some kind of connector.

You have got to be kidding. rolleyes.gif

post #13 of 15 Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

By the way; there is a simple method to test the polarity of a speaker and its connections. Just connect a 1.5-volt C-cell (or AA) to the speaker wires and see if the cone moves out or in when the cell is connected.

Make sure both speaker cones move the same way for the same cell polarity, and you will have the same connection polarity on both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post

^^^
Yeppers, sure-fire easiest way to determine polarity with passive speakers...fun to do, too!

It might be "fun to do" but it is completely unnecessary. With only two speakers, all that is important is that they be wired identically.

post #14 of 15 Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's okay guys, I've cut and stripped the wires now and tested them with an old CD player that has standard speaker wire terminals and they work fine. I'll order the amp and try them with that shortly.

I'm not going to start messing around with the TV just to attach some fairly basic speakers but thanks for the suggestion. I'm also not sure the amp in a really thin 26" LED TV is going to cut it for two 10w bookshelf speakers.

The wires are marked so I won't need to go into further measures to determine the polarity but thanks anyway.

Also, bizwiz41 that cable frequently purchased with the amp would not be much use. People likely buy it to connect into the amps' RCA inputs from a 3.5mm source (e.g. a phone) but 3.5mm outputs also line level so I couldn't connect my speakers with that cable. And anyway the amp actually only has 3.5mm INPUT not output. Additionally those are male RCA plugs which is what (before I cut them) my speakers have so I wouldn't be able to connect the RCA end to the speakers without a coupler which would be another needless purchase. You are right about the AC adapter though but fortunately I already have a spare onw (12v 2a) as required.

Once again, thanks for all your help and I'll post back once I have the amp.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

It's okay guys, I've cut and stripped the wires now and tested them with an old CD player that has standard speaker wire terminals and they work fine. I'll order the amp and try them with that shortly.

I'm not going to start messing around with the TV just to attach some fairly basic speakers but thanks for the suggestion. I'm also not sure the amp in a really thin 26" LED TV is going to cut it for two 10w bookshelf speakers.

The wires are marked so I won't need to go into further measures to determine the polarity but thanks anyway.

Also, bizwiz41 that cable frequently purchased with the amp would not be much use. People likely buy it to connect into the amps' RCA inputs from a 3.5mm source (e.g. a phone) but 3.5mm outputs also line level so I couldn't connect my speakers with that cable. And anyway the amp actually only has 3.5mm INPUT not output. Additionally those are male RCA plugs which is what (before I cut them) my speakers have so I wouldn't be able to connect the RCA end to the speakers without a coupler which would be another needless purchase. You are right about the AC adapter though but fortunately I already have a spare onw (12v 2a) as required.

Once again, thanks for all your help and I'll post back once I have the amp.

Sorry about my mistake, I was looking at this "backwards", again my apologies. I do have to ask one question; does your TV have a "headphone jack"? I doubt it does, but if it does that may be an alternative connection.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page