Cineplex Ultra AVX WAY too loud - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How do you find the Ultra AVX AQ?
Too Loud!! 4 66.67%
Too Quiet 0 0%
Just Right 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am no stranger to loud movies, but has anyone else been turned off by the obnoxiously loud audio in ultra avx screening rooms? I just saw iron man 3, and measured 115 db with an spl meter. eek.gif
The base was really powerful (in a good way) but everything else seamed way too loud (especially the mid-high frequency sounds)
Ive contacted cineplex, and so far nothing in response. mad.gif
Sorry I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, if anyone wants it moved just say so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM

Hi,

Not here to disagree your opinion of it being 'too loud'. If you did not know, reference level - which some cinemas run their volumes at - reflects the volume the piece/film is mastered at at the studio. To playback at this level the system needs to be capable of 105dB for mains and 115dB for the LFE - approximate maximums. See below I pulled from another forum:

"Reference level is the volume at 75db (decibels) in your room using full band pink noise. When you set up your system and you run pink noise through your speakers one at a time setting each level using an SPL meter to 75db you will (after all channels are done) and your volume control is set to 0db you will achieve "reference" when playing back movies or music. Movies will tend to reach peaks of 115db with your system set up properly.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/av-home-theater/24761-what-reference-level.html#ixzz2TRmizm9p"

Playing back at this level, with a correctly equalised & delay set room, with reverb/resonance times, etc should replicate and mimic the feature as the audio mixer of the film, together with director, producer intended.

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Correct me if I am wrong, but is IMAX not reference level? I Saw Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D at the Universal Studios Cineplex and it was definitely not as loud as the AVX movie...

Cinepex ended giving me 35 dollars in popcorn passes, so its all good biggrin.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Higher distortion at a given spl tends to be perceived as louder. This might at least partially explain what you heard. Not all "reference levels" are the same.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page