Speaker Height Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a question in regards to speaker height. I am limited for space and do not really have room for a floor standing front speakers on either side of my 100" projection screen. Would it work decently to use "bookshelf" speakers on a TV stand on either end of a long narrow AV bench under the screen?

The speakers would not be at ear level (approx 43-46") but instead the top of the front speakers would be about 25 inches.

I have never really used surround sound extensively before and mostly just use my tv speakers currently. How badly will this effect the sound quality? Enough that I should consider downgrading to a large TV with floor standers instead of a projector? Would tilting the speakers upwards work?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Big screen and poorly placed small speakers do not make for an ideal home theater experience.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectorPower View Post

I am limited for space and do not really have room for a floor standing front speakers on either side of my 100" projection screen.

You could angle the speakers upwards, but that's not ideal. Can you post a photo showing the front of your room?

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Total useable space is about 90-95 inches wide, (the air conditioner on the side blocks part of the area and will require some clearance to be used and have air flow. I plan on moving the fireplace and dresser to another room so I can have the screen at optimal viewing height (fireplace is 45" high for reference and causes a large upwards viewing angle (eyes are at about 43 inches high when seated) seating room is 14 feet wide so around 12 ft viewing distance once the couch has been factored in.

As you can see I have a large windows on the wall and the ceiling height starts at about 11 feet and peaks at about 18 ft.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Seems to me that it's a space better suited to a large LED TV.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

seating room is 14 feet wide so around 12 ft viewing distance once the couch has been factored in.

I should have been clearer. What I wanted to see was a single photo showing the front of the room, including the center of the wall and both side walls. All I see in these photos is a TV straddling a corner. I expected a video screen flat against a wall. What am I missing?

--Ethan

post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ethan,

There is no wall on the left side as it continues into a hallway / kitchen. I live in a small apartment so the living room/kitchen are one space. You can see the counter stool of the kitchen island in one of the photos.

The TV is not actually straddling the corner in the picture but he stand is swiveled so it appears to be. I tried to get as much of the front of the room in the shot as I could but I was working with an older model phone camera.

The "living room" area is approximately 14' (tv screen to back viewing wall) by 8' (counter stools to window).

Does this help?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

When I hear projection system I think dedicated spaces with controlled lighting. Looks like you have none of that.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TV is not actually straddling the corner in the picture but he stand is swiveled so it appears to be.

I still don't understand where the projector screen fits in. My best advice is to put the TV in the center of the wall, on a stand or cement blocks or whatever is needed to get it to a proper height. Then put the speakers on either side so the tweeters are at ear height. This may help:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

post #10 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ethan I was originally concerned about space with a 100" screen and not having room for speakers on either side of the screen,

I am considering using a projector instead of a television for that wall as I really wanted the larger screen size and don't want to spend 10k on a 90 inch tv :P

I think I could fit front floor standers with a 92 inch screen which would eliminate the issue of having the speakers to low.

CRN, I hear what you are saying about the non controlled lighting...do you think with a bright living room style projector that it would be ok? if not what if I had curtains to cover the arched window up top? I do most of my movie watching at night anyways. I mainly would be using this for watching movies and playing games and possibly as a computer screen.

I do appreciate a good picture quality (E.G. a panasonic plasma) but I think that since my viewing distance is quite far (12.5 feet) that a bigger screen would make more of a difference and be a much more immersive and "WOW" experience.

Never having owned a projector before I am really not sure how effected by light they are but I did demo one in the store with the lights on and the picture looked fine to me.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

I'd rather have a LED or a Plasma with decent speakers. Hopefully others more knowledgeable than myself will chime in, but It seems you want to go overly large for large's sake. I sit 10' away from a 50" plasma an I'm happy as a clam.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am considering using a projector instead of a television for that wall ... I think I could fit front floor standers with a 92 inch screen

Ah, I got it now, you don't have a projector and screen yet. Yes, pick a screen width that lets you place speakers on either side at the ideal height.
Quote:
I am really not sure how effected by light they are but I did demo one in the store with the lights on and the picture looked fine to me.

Projectors give the best picture quality (contrast mainly) in a dark room, but a small amount of light might be okay. I have both in my living room home theater: A 65-inch Mitsubishi RPTV that we watch while eating with enough light to see, and a 159-inch screen that pulls down one inch in front of the TV for watching HD content with the room darkened.

--Ethan

post #13 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Ethan and and crn3371 for your help

Ultimately I decided to go with a 65" Panasonic S60 Plasma as I do not have a dedicated home theater room with total light control and could not find a projector that met my fairly specific criteria.

I will definitely keep projectors in mind down the road perhaps when I have a space that is better suited for one!

I know this thread started out dealing with speakers and took a bit of a turn into projector vs TV... smile.gif

Thanks again!
post #14 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

A wise, and excellent, choice. Plenty big enough, plus you'll still have enough wall space for proper speaker placement. Congratulations.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page