Professional audio calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hear and read a lot about ISF calibration for a TV, but there doesn't seem to be much info on professional calibration for the sound system. Is this something generally considered not worth it with things like Audyssey on modern receivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I think that part of it is the cost. Proper acoustic calibration is very expensive because it does not involve only electronics. It also requires appropriate speaker choice, room design and furnishings. Doing it right also can take quite a bit longer than a typical display calibration. Getting a display calibrated typically involves only adjusting controls on the display device and optimizing the room's illumination.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisrandomguy View Post

Is this something generally considered not worth it with things like Audyssey on modern receivers?

Audyssey can help to reduce some types of peaks for some locations in a room, but that's all. It can't improve nulls which are often the larger problem, nor can it reduce ringing decay times at low frequencies, or echoes and "early" reflections at mid and high frequencies. Further, whatever bass peaks Audyssey improves for one location, it will not help other locations and will likely make them even worse. The only room I've seen Audyssey truly help was a cube, where peaks were the dominant problem. You can read more in my Audyssey Report article.

As Selden explained, improving acoustics is not as simple as adjusting a video display. However, that's no reason not to do it! Most people are clueless about the importance of acoustics, even people who consider themselves serious about home theater and audio quality. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Pretty good info thanks Just a few more basic questions, is the pricing comparable to TV calibration? And what is the audio equivalent of ISF certification? Also, at what quality sound system is it considered worthwhile to get pro calibration?
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
You can probably get someone to visit in person and measure your system's audio for the same price as a video calibration. But the solutions you then need are mostly acoustic in nature, meaning you need to build or buy absorber panels and optionally diffusers. So overall, getting excellent audio quality costs more than video calibration.

The only audio standard I can think of offhand is THX certification. I'm not convinced that's worth much. I once saw an "expert" on YouTube claim his bedroom size HT is THX certified, even though he admitted he has no acoustic treatment at all.

Finally, I'd rather have a $1,000 "home theater in a box" system in a well treated room than $10,000 worth of high end gear in a room with no treatment.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well perfect, you answered all my questions, thanks a bunch.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The cost for me to do an audio calibration with video is as low as $100. Audio alone is $400. I find that all the automatic calibration systems can be beat by a wide margin. I also offer room acoustics advice if desired to help you purchase the correct level of room treatment. The cost savings from this can be significant because common Internet recommendations tend to suggest solutions that are not room specific. Room treatments based on actual room measurements will also tend to give better results.

More info on my audio service is available here.

http://www.accucalhd.com/audio-calibration.htm
post #8 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The equivalent of ISF for audio is HAA - Home Acoustics Alliance.

It can make a big difference presuming the calibrator has the right tools available to him. Many pre-pros have onboard parametric EQ which a calibrator with the correct measurement gear can use to dial out quite a few bass region room effects including room modes and room gain very easily.

Speaker and in particular sub placement can also make a huge difference as can mains / subwoofer integration. If you have multiple subs they can be placed in specific locations to cancel room modes.

All of these things require no acoustic treatment yet can significantly improve sound quality.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

I will be in California, Arizona and Denver in February if anyone is interested in a professional audio and video calibration.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I will be in California, Arizona and Denver in February if anyone is interested in a professional audio and video calibration.

When will you be in lower Michigan?

Living room; Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Definitive Mytho 2's fronts, Definitive Pro Center 1000, Definitive Di 5.5R in ceilings, SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage; Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers
post #11 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat