6.1 or 7.1 for my room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm currently running a 5.1 system in my room consisting of Polk Audio Tsi 300 fronts, a CS10 center channel, two T300 bookshelves (monitor 30's w/ a different name) as surrounds and an SVS PC12 plus sub. all this is ran through a Pioneer VSX-1122-K receiver. I've been trying to figure out the best way to add rear surrounds to my set up to make it 7.1. My room is oddly shaped, the wall behind my seating area isn't strait w/ doesn't allow me to just simply attach speakers to the back wall. I've come down to my only options being either attaching small satellite speakers ie. OWM3's or Blackstone TL's to mounts from my ceiling or upgrading my center channel to a CS20 and putting my CS10 on a shelf directly behind my sweet spot (which I do have room for on my wall) and run 6.1. Have any of you guys opted for 6.1 over 7.1 because of oddly shaped rooms?

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I have not opted for 6.1 over 7.1. I think 7.1 is a big step up from 5.1. But I really don't think that 6.1 has much added benefit. Its harder to hear something that is directly behind you, which is why even when there was 6.1 encoded sources and with THX surround modes that were really 6.1 with dual mono rear channels. Its easier to hear things that are behind you slightly to the side rather than directly behind you. I run 7.2 and will never go back to less channels.

Shawn
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Your AVR supports it, so consider Front Wide speakers if that might fit better.

Flick's right that a speaker behind you has the least affect on your perception of the sound field. In a deep, narrow room, they make sense. In a room set up wide and shallow, front wides are a great addition.

Have fun,
Frank
post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Front wides won't work. My room is set up w/ the Tv on the short wall but the problem is that the wall behind me isn't strait. Picture this if you can, it's not an easy thing to explain. If your standing in front of my Tv looking toward the back of the room from left to right there is my hallway going toward the back of the house then the back wall goes about 5 1/2 feet and then angles away from you at about 45 degrees and then it straitens out again where it meets the other wall. The wall that I need the speakers to hook up to for 7.1 isn't wide enough for both speakers. My thought was that one beefier speaker, such as the CS10 would give me a better sound than two little weenie speakers like the OWM3/ Blackstone TL2. The single CS10 could be mounted 6 to 7 feet high.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If you could give us a couple pics of your room and the wall your talking about and the seating layout we might be able to help you better.

Like how far behind the seating area is the back wall? And if you have 5.5' of straight back wall why isn't that wide enough for the rears. My rears are like 6 or 7 feet apart but 5 feet would have been ok as well. I would go for 2 Polk Monitor 35Bs for rears if I were you. BUT again I'm saying this without really understanding your room.

Shawn
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I mean about the wall not being long enough behind me for two rear surrounds. Throw some ideas at me if you have any.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #7 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Try 1 rear speaker above and to the left of the picture/mirror on the blue wall and try 1 rear speaker on the cream wall at a spot where the door can still open.

Shawn
post #8 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

You don't think its an issue having one speaker a foot or so farther away from me than the other? Right now I'm watching a set of Polk M3II's on ebay to possibly attatch to my ceiling. But the concensus is that I shouldn't just try to put a single rear surround right in the middle about a foot down from the ceiling?

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3, PS2
post #9 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think its a problem having surround speakers at slightly different distances from you. If your receiver has MCACC room correction it will correct for that and you won't even notice it. IMO 2 rear surrounds are better than 1 rear surround.

Shawn
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page