HDMI+Optical in to HDMI Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere before, but I did a search of the forums and couldn't find anything. I'm interested to know if anyone has any recommendations on a device that would accept HDMI-in for video and optical in (like S/PDIF) and mux that together so that it's all output over HDMI-out.

I've played around with a device similar to this one (looks exactly the same), but it only combines the optical audio with the non-HDMI inputs, so it doesn't work for what I'm trying to solve.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Try changing your thinking on this. Go from HDMI to component or DVId then to a component or DVId converter with the coax or optical input to an HDMI output. I have a component plus optical/ digital coax input to HDMI output. Monoprice may have every thing you need for this.
I just got'a ask what are you doing?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Try changing your thinking on this. Go from HDMI to component or DVId then to a component or DVId converter with the coax or optical input to an HDMI output. I have a component plus optical/ digital coax input to HDMI output. Monoprice may have every thing you need for this.
I just got'a ask what are you doing?

Thanks for the response, I'm doing this for a friend in the UK that has Sky as a provider and his set-top box has HDMI-out, but only provides stereo over HDMI (I think). To get 5.1 or better sound, he needs to use the optical out from the box, but his TV doesn't have optical-in.

So how can he get better than stereo sound over just HDMI?

Regardless of the output method (composite or w/e), it's kind of become a problem of how do you combine Optical-in and HDMI-in?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 26
If its just running to the tv stereo is fine bc that's all the tv has?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

If its just running to the tv stereo is fine bc that's all the tv has?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It may be fine, I'll have to follow up.

However, it has piqued my curiosity and I was curious if there was anything that did this. Would an AV Receiver do this?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, an AVR will work for the optical 5.1 if that's what the Sky box puts out. The TV itself is stereo, and if it works like the ones here do it will have an optical out that is run to the AVR for the off air tuner that receives 5.1 and passes it through. Your friend is in need of a home theater in a box, that is a AVR and speakers in one package. Spend as little or as much as he/she likes.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Yes, an AVR will work for the optical 5.1 if that's what the Sky box puts out. The TV itself is stereo, and if it works like the ones here do it will have an optical out that is run to the AVR for the off air tuner that receives 5.1 and passes it through. Your friend is in need of a home theater in a box, that is a AVR and speakers in one package. Spend as little or as much as he/she likes.

Yeah, I kinda figured an AVR was the way to go. I'm curious now though, is there anything else that will mux together HDMI and Optical? Not a big deal, I just can't find anything outside of the AVR/HT in a box category.

Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy2004 View Post

Yeah, I kinda figured an AVR was the way to go. I'm curious now though, is there anything else that will mux together HDMI and Optical? Not a big deal, I just can't find anything outside of the AVR/HT in a box category.

Thanks for the help.

One other thing, today just about all AVR's have HDMI, and that Sky box does output a 5.1 that the AVR can decode. Digital equipment talks with each other allowing the Sky box to put out a signal that the TV can use. Run the HDMI into the AVR, then to the TV and you will not need optical, also a lot of TV's and AVR's have what is called audio return channel that will remove the need for optical from the TV to AVR, for 5.1 audio originating with the TV be it off air tuner, or streaming.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page