wiring question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I was hoping someone could assist with a speaker wiring question. I recently had a TV hung downstairs and the installers installed the receiver along with the center speaker, sub-woofer, and two front speakers. They suggested I get different rear speakers as the ones I had were bookshelf speakers and they said it would not look good. They suggested in ceiling speakers. The cost for them to install was going to be over $400 as they said they would have to cut multiple holes in the ceiling and drill through the multiple beams. I was thinking about trying something different and wanted to see if it would work.
The DIRECTV cable for that TV runs through the wall outside along my house and up into my bedroom as that was the only way the installer could do it. So I was thinking of running the speaker wire from the receiver outside and follow the DIRECTV cable. This would bring the wire into my bedroom where I could run it along the baseboard and drop the wire through the bedroom floor into the downstairs ceiling. My question is would it be an issue to run a wire from inside a house then outside then back inside again and if not any specific type of wire to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
First let's get terminology correct, I believe you are discussing surround speakers in a 5.1 configuration rather than rear speakers in 7.1. This is based on the assumption that you haven't had surround speakers set up yet.

You will never get the same quality and direction from in ceiling speakers that you would from bookshelf speakers. Think about it - surround sound is supposed to come from the sides of the listening position, not above. For both Dolby and THX the recommended placement for surround speakers is to the sides, above ear level. Regardless of the quality of your speakers you will get a better experience if these speakers are not in the ceiling. Of course, there may be differing opinions, and looks may be more important to you than audio quality, but if I had to guess the installer has his own greens fees in mind rather than your enjoyment. smile.gif

As for running the speaker wire outside you will need to use CL2 or CL3 wire, and you might want to consider 4-conductor wire so that you only need one run. The biggest issue is gauge and length. You naturally want to keep length the shortest you can, but always go with the next highest grade if there is a question. I use this website as a reference.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you for that info. yes it would be a 5.1 system. Would your recommendation be to somehow mount the book shelve speakers on the walls next to the couch? If so do people usually use shelving or brackets? I do not have anything on the sides of the couch right now.
Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I'll wait for someone else to provide expertise. I see more stands and wall mounts than shelves. I believe it would depend on the distance between seating area and wall, and of course personal (wife) preference.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page