Corner Entertainment Center Set-up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 part question:

1) Looking for suggestions on speaker placement. The wife just bought new furniture for living room and entertainment center is now in a corner. I realize this is not great sonically, but unless I want to sit in the floor, it's what I got. Room is 13 x 14, furniture is in an L shape on walls opposite. I have about 3 feet on either side of E.C. for mains before I get into doorway and fireplace. Probably same amount of room from ends of couches to walls. Never tried surround with mains in corner before, so looking for advice. AVR can go 5.1 or 7.1

2) A local guy is selling his Polk setup, (4) RT24i and (1) CS245i, for $150. Anybody think this would be a good setup for my room arrangement?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomdaddy67 View Post

1) Looking for suggestions on speaker placement.

This should help:

How to set up a room

I'll let others comment on those loudspeakers.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Unfortunately corner arrangement seldom get good results. Here’s why.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Unfortunately corner arrangement seldom get good results. Here’s why.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

??? as to the statement "place the left and right speakers as far apart as possible" ???

Espo77
post #5 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomdaddy67 View Post

2 part question:

1) Looking for suggestions on speaker placement. The wife just bought new furniture for living room and entertainment center is now in a corner. I realize this is not great sonically, but unless I want to sit in the floor, it's what I got. Room is 13 x 14, furniture is in an L shape on walls opposite. I have about 3 feet on either side of E.C. for mains before I get into doorway and fireplace. Probably same amount of room from ends of couches to walls. Never tried surround with mains in corner before, so looking for advice. AVR can go 5.1 or 7.1

2) A local guy is selling his Polk setup, (4) RT24i and (1) CS245i, for $150. Anybody think this would be a good setup for my room arrangement?

Thanks,

Do not panic. Corner placement can and will sound just fine. One sonic advantage with corner placement is the absence of early side wall reflections, which is a good thing.

Espo77
post #6 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

One sonic advantage with corner placement is the absence of early side wall reflections, which is a good thing.

Yes, though the corner that's now behind you focuses all the sound back to your ears. So a corner can work, but it's best if large areas of the two walls behind you are treated with absorption (or diffusion).

--Ethan

post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

One sonic advantage with corner placement is the absence of early side wall reflections, which is a good thing.

+1 Espo77. That's the big one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Yes, though the corner that's now behind you focuses all the sound back to your ears. So a corner can work, but it's best if large areas of the two walls behind you are treated with absorption (or diffusion).

--Ethan

Hi Ethan

How much of a concern is the reflection out of the back corner? Wouldn't it be delayed and attenuated in level somewhat due to bouncing of two walls to get back to the listener? Just curious... smile.gif
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I must admit that I'm in love with the idea of "doing it on the diagonal" since reading this from Floyd Toole:
Quote:
Now, I would not hesitate to deliberately design a room in this configuration.

source: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/LoudspeakersandRoomsPt1.pdf

Apart from those already mentioned, advantages include:
  • Subs placed mid-wall are almost flanking the mains
  • Because the side surrounds are a long way from the listeners, monopoles will be fine for movies and music (the mono/bi/di debate is over!)
  • Rear channel speakers can also be a long way from the listeners, particularly in a THX (narrow) setup
  • Works very nicely in the "almost square" room (like the OP's)
  • May be possible to have more "front row" seats, placed in a wide arc
  • Probably others that I can't think of right now? rolleyes.gif

The only other disadvantage I can think of (and it's not related sonics) is the increased "dead space" behind the screen is it gets larger.

Zoomdaddy: Can you talk your wife into pulling the new L shaped couch out of the corner 2 or 3 feet? Put a pot plant in the back corner or something? biggrin.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

How much of a concern is the reflection out of the back corner? Wouldn't it be delayed and attenuated in level somewhat due to bouncing of two walls to get back to the listener?

Those reflections are extremely strong. The entire rear of the room is now a giant dish antenna for audio frequencies. It does avoid side-wall reflections, but those are easily tamed with a few absorber panels. Taming the rear of the room requires more treatment.

--Ethan

post #9 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^ Thanks Ethan.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page