Record audio over PA system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I need a little help with something. I remember reading stuff over here and seeing how knowledgeable you guys are and figured you could help. We use a speaker/PA system at our community centre for speeches and announcements. What we want to do is record those speeches from the mic that is already used instead of using our phones to record in bad quality.

Here are some pics of the small amp we use. Sorry for the bad angles/quality as the box is in a dark cramped place.

I've thought of two options:
  1. Get some kind of recording box that will record the audio via those Aux Sends (I don't even know what that is) or Phones port. Ideally something that could be accessed remotely to get the recordings
  2. Or even easier and cheaper: find some way to output from that Phones port into the 3.5mm mic port on a smartphone and use any recording app

The second option seems easiest and most economical. I just don't know what I would use to move the audio from:

1/4" Phones port -> 3.5mm audio channel (first 2 lines on the connector) -> 3.5mm mic channel (3rd line on the connector)

Any help would be appreciated smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The AUX SEND allows you adjust the level of each channel's output in the AUX mix to the recorder. The TAPE OUT does NOT. Each channel will have an AUX OUT level adjust output. by adjusting each channels AUX OUT control you can give precedence to the pulpit mic and less from any other mic you may have connected. The TAPE OUT is a fixed level and is a mix of all channels. The ONLY adjustment on a TAPE OUT is each individual channel fader. Adjusting the channel fader will affect the feed to th PA speakers.

IMPORTANT:: You need to ascertain if the AUX SEND jacks are balanced or unbalanced. What is the brand and model of the mixer?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The aux send would be the best way. However you need to know whether the aux sends are post or pre send.

They will either follow the fader movements (post) or not (pre).

Either can work-but if you are having to make channel level changes to keep the volume the same through the PA, then you will want a POST send. Or selse the volume on the recording will be going up and down-depending on how the speaker is using the mic-and their speaking style/skill etc.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. Even though barely understood them! I will try to read up to understand completely what you mean.

So basically I'd have a cable going from Aux Send into a smartphone or other recorder?

But again, isn't there a problem of getting the signal from the L/R channels of the 3.5mm pin to the third MIC channel?

If it stays in the L/R channel (ie, first 2 lines on the 3.5mm pin), then I guess I'd be stuck with using a handheld recorder, not a smartphone?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basir View Post

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. Even though barely understood them! I will try to read up to understand completely what you mean.

So basically I'd have a cable going from Aux Send into a smartphone or other recorder?

But again, isn't there a problem of getting the signal from the L/R channels of the 3.5mm pin to the third MIC channel?

If it stays in the L/R channel (ie, first 2 lines on the 3.5mm pin), then I guess I'd be stuck with using a handheld recorder, not a smartphone?
If you are only using 1 aux-then the recorded signal is going to be mono anyway. So jusst parallel the inputs of whatever device you are using.

You can parallel inputs with no problem-HOWEVER you cannot just parallel outputs! That will do all kinds of "nasty stuff" but since that is not what you are looking to do-then we won't go into that aspect.

So just split the aux output signal into a 2 mono signals and driver the L and R with those signals.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #6 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for your help and sorry for not getting back!

I decided to go ahead and try a couple things and multiple things worked!

One way I tried was to split an incoming mic XLR into two, one going into the amp and another going into my phone using an XLR to 3.5mm adapter. That worked but was a little wonky as my phone was receiving but also transmitting audio. Meaning sounds from my phone were coming out of the speakers.

Another better and simpler way was to simply use a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter on the Phones port on the amp and connect that to my phone. It works great and records very clear audio. I figured the audio would have to be in the mic channel of the 3.5mm but I guess phones are smart enough to check for audio on all the bands on the 3.5mm jack. It works on an iPhone and Galaxy S2.

Woohoo! If you ever come up with this problem at other venues, this way should work!

Thanks for your help people!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page