Have I damaged my system??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have currently got a ONKYO DSA-5 dock which is connected to my Harmon Kardon HK980 amp. I was experimenting as I have just found out that the dock as a RI connect which specifically connects to an Onkyo amp/avr which also as RI on them.

Stupid me I thought I could of connected both so that I could control everything on my Harmon kardon amp however it did not work.

Reading on the onkyo manuals it stated that it is only to be used with onkyo amps/avr which has RI on them. Because my has not RI on on it and its not an onkyo amp, do you think my dock or amp is damaged because of what I have done.

Your advise and response would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Doubtful there was any damage. RI is just Onkyo's proprietary control system that connects several Onkyo components to use with a single Onkyo remote.

How did you have it hooked up? Just with the red/white cables? I wouldn't think Harman-Kardon would have anything that would hook up to the RI port on the dock, and even if you did, it would be unlikely anything could be sent either way to damage it.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hello

Thank you so much for replying.

..... What I did. The dock contained a blue jack lead which is the RI cable. I connected the Cable in the back of the dock and into the remote in /out input at the back of the harmon kardon amp. I know you you said before that it is very doubtful that it would of damage my equipment but do you think it would of effected my system or equipment in anyway and also would it of effected the sound to my system. Sorry I have just got bad OSD and I want my system to be perfect.

Kind regards
post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Well, if it was hooked up to an Onkyo amp, all it is doing is sending low energy signals, which originate in an Onkyo remote, and are sent to and from the dock from the receiver. Since you don't have an Onkyo remote (and an HK receiver wouldn't know what to do with those commands anyway), I seriously doubt anything was sent to or from the dock over the RI cable to begin with.

And even if something did go through, it would probably be ignored by both units. It's not like a fully amped electric charge like what is sent to the speakers would ever be sent through.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for that.

I feel reassured now. I was just worried that I might have broken it.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Kind regards.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page