Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 296
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

College parties happen today and result in overpowering speakers.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post

I blew a tweeter with a 12w per channel (sansui 331) amp on speakers rated at more than 40W.

A friend of mine used to blow up the tweeter fuses on his B.I.C speakers twice a year.

My RTR 300d's had the tweeters in both blown up twice each.

You should have checked into the power capacity of that tweeter, It wasn't 40 watts for sure, guaranteed. You are lucky it is is 4 watts in such a speaker setup.

Oh, the amp can output twice that power when fully clipped.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

You should have checked into the power capacity of that tweeter, It wasn't 40 watts for sure, guaranteed. You are lucky it is is 4 watts in such a speaker setup.

Oh, the amp can output twice that power when fully clipped.

I think the broader point is that having an amp rated at a considerably smaller wattage rating than the speaker is no guarantee you cant blow it up.

What a tweeter can handle depends much on the crossover behind it. In cheaper speakers, a single capacitor (6db/octave slope) comprises the extent of the entire crossover for the tweeter in many cases.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post

I think the broader point is that having an amp rated at a considerably smaller wattage rating than the speaker is no guarantee you cant blow it up.

What a tweeter can handle depends much on the crossover behind it. In cheaper speakers, a single capacitor (6db/octave slope) comprises the extent of the entire crossover for the tweeter in many cases.
Then, if we go to an extreme example, using a 1 watt amp, that is not a guaranty that it cannot blow a tweeter?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Good grief. If the tweeter can handle 1 W continuous it will be fine. If it can't it will eventually fail. Note in general you (I, anybody) do not know how much power the 1 W amp actually puts out at clipping (i.e. how much design margin in the amp).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Good grief. If the tweeter can handle 1 W continuous it will be fine. If it can't it will eventually fail. Note in general you (I, anybody) do not know how much power the 1 W amp actually puts out at clipping (i.e. how much design margin in the amp).
2 watts is what it will deliver. But, you missed the point of his argument.wink.gif
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

2 W if it is actually a 1 W amp; assuming some design margin it could put out 3 or 4 W, oh my.

Who's argument? jim19611961 made the point that an amp with considerably less power rating could still destroy a tweeter (or by extrapolation any driver), and you countered with "Then, if we go to an extreme example, using a 1 watt amp, that is not a guaranty that it cannot blow a tweeter?" If I followed your statement, then a 1 W amp is not a guarantee if the driver is only rated 0.5 W, if we want extreme examples. I suppose we could throw about all sorts of counter examples to prove whatever we want, but I'm not seeing the point... I guess I'm confused.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^ Now show me the program material that has enough spectral content to actually achieve that theoretical 2W clipped power for long enough to damage the 1W tweeter. Material varies so much in spectrum and amplitude that the average power going to said tweet over a few seconds would be lower, probably a lot lower.
I can easily invent a theoretical situation were I can damage just about any piece of electronics through intent or stupidity, but the practical reality of a functioning, non deaf adult using a system as intended, is very, very rarely going to damage a tweeter though clipping.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I was hoping my earlier point about the spectral response of clipping, let alone musical content, was enough to diabuse the notion that widepsread clipping is responsible for all tweeter damage... I have heard of very few tweeters damaged in the past decade or two, and those usually involved playing at unrealistic (often beer-induced) levels for extended periods of time. Hint: Your Polk towers bought on sale from NewEgg or BestBuy are not going to be happy serving as the PA and music system for your next block party. smile.gif

I think we are all arguing the same point, with off-the-wall extreme examples thrown in more for argument's sake than any real practical application. I don't feel like throwing out extreme examples just to belabor some theoretical point, that is what I was countering. Or so I thought. I'm a hairy-knuckled engineer, not a theoretical scientist, and English is a second or third language...

Tags
Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier