Out door speakers with airplay - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I can't believe there is not a product that does this already but as that seems the case I am trying to set something up myself

I have a a number of apple devices that I would like to stream music to an our door speaker.

I also have power in a waterproof box in the garden already.

I thought I could do this quite simply by : Getting an airport express device to use as the receiver and plugging it in to the waterproof boxed power, then buy some outdoor speakers, and just connect them to the airport express to output the sound

Ideally I want a solution that I can plug in and leave all year round.

This seems a lot harder than I thought - has anyone managed to get this working?

The airport express uses a 3.5mm jack, where as all the weatherproof speakers seem to need speak wire. Is there a splitter I could use to convert it? Or can I buy outdoor speakers that use 3.5mm??

Any advice on making this setup work - simply and cheaply (Max £200) is appriciated

Thanks
Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Airport Express does not provide a speaker level output.

For what you are trying to do, you would need either a small separate amplifier, or powered speakers (speakers with built in amplifiers).
post #3 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I would also question wether or not an Airport Express would survive living outdoors year round, unless you lived in a very temperate climate.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 102
There's plenty of portable solutions. For a more permanent solution you'll need weatherproof speakers and a receiver to power them with. Typically it would be a multi-zone receiver where the main zone is your primary indoor system, and the secondary zone is your outdoor system. For AirPlay, you'd either connect an Apple TV, or get a receiver with AirPlay built in. Sadly, this won't happen within your budget.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

It sounds like airport express is not the right solution then.

I do actually have apple tv, but this is currently outputing to my surround sound system. I wanted to be able to stream to this at the same time, therefore providing the same music to the garden and the house at the same time

Maybe the easiest idea is to just get a Airplay battery powered speaker and just take it outside when we want it....
post #6 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Does your current avr support a 2nd zone? If so, you could run speaker wires to your garden.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about that but its a long way from where in the garden I want it to go so running cables is not really an option
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about that but its a long way from where in the garden I want it to go so running cables is not really an option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page