Initial speaker setup advice for odd shaped room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Well I officially have a nice mix of everything rolleyes.gif.

What would be the best way to approach this? My screen length will depend on front speaker placement, as will my false wall dimensions. I don't want to build the wall and order the screen only to find out the only way to fix things for good sound is to move the speakers to dead center of the screens frame, or false wall frame.

Any advice is appreciated - Bear with me as I explain in detail my rooms details

My L/C/R and screen (AT) is on a wall that is sheet rock>2x4>insulation>inch of space>concrete. This is only the bottom 45" of the wall. 57" above is set 8.75" back (simply put I have a ledge 45" off the floor) sheet rock> some headers, some 2x4 framing>insulation, windows x 3.

Facing the LP the left wall (15' long x 8'6" high) is mostly sheet rock>2x4>sheet rock (interior wall) with the exception of the first (from screen/front speaker wall) approximately 30" which is the same sheet rock>2x4>insulation>inch of space>concrete (simply put I have a 30" foundation intrusion on my left wall) I planned to strip this part of the foundation down to the cement to get closer to the majority of width of the rest of the wall.

My right wall is the same as the screen/front speaker wall from 45" - sheet rock>2x4>insulation>inch of space>concrete. Above 45" is the same ledge but the 57" above is sheet rock> 2x4>insulation>plywood>weather wrap>cedar siding (exterior wall) To make it better there's a 2' deep by 3'7" wide alcove. 45" is foundation and 57" is exterior wall.

My back wall is an interior wall so sheet rock>2x4>sheet rock

Here is a picture of the wall my front stage is going on. You can see the intrusion of the foundation on the right side of the picture. The most I can do with that intrusion is get rid of the 2x4 framing and insulation making it only stick out approximately 5" with no sheet rock on it.

Also attached is a sketch to scale, so you can see the alcove area.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

..........I don't want to build the wall and order the screen only to find out the only way to fix things for good sound is to move the speakers to dead center of the screens frame, or false wall frame.

Any advice is appreciated - Bear with me as I explain in detail my rooms details
I agree. Who would want to do all that?

Maybe the best way is to proceed with some of the "initial-speaker-setup-advice-for-odd-shaped-room" that you received in
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474024/commercial-theaters
&
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474568/room-mode-calculator-and-speaker-placement

That is simply deploy what you have drawn above as far as the audio is concerned and have a listen and measure or two. Project any video on the wall until you get the audio sorted to your satisfaction then you can proceed with false walls, screens, etc.

plug in to play
Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is certainly the plan, to use the great advice I've gotten.

The reason behind this post, and I can see I wasn't clear, was to simply find out if I could fix any acoustic problem with treatments or if my room oddities may require speaker re-arrangement.

Detailed description of walls/materials were given to help best answer my question.

So - can I plant all my equipment and fix acoustics with panels or is there a chance I'll have to move equipment?