Looking for a truly wireless solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi, all - finally getting around to finishing the empty room in our house as a den/home office. Wife looks at me yesterday and says "so how do we get music in here"?

So, I haven't quite figured out the source(s) yet, but what I would like to do with speakers is get 4 small to mid-sized ones and mount them in the 4 corners of the room (by the ceiling) and angle them down into the room.

Obviously, I don't want to run wires up the walls where they are visible, and pulling wires through the walls or ceiling is far too time consuming. I'm looking for a wireless solution.

I have seen a couple of so-called "wireless" systems, but they seem to be only for rear speakers. You hook a box to your source which transmits wirelessly to another box, but this box is connected to your rear speakers with wires. So, this doesn't work, plus it's only for 2 speakers.

Does anyone know of an option for this application, or am I into some kind of science fiction territory??

Thanks.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
There are wireless systems, but many of them are only capable of low-quality transmission, which is not what you want for a good sound system.

The only high-quality wireless system that I know of is the Dynaudio XEO speakers.

They have a line of XEO speakers in various sizes that receive from a wireless transmitter module, but a system like that costs several thousand dollars. These are very high-quality speakers.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The only fully wireless system that I'm aware off is the Intimus system from Aperion. Very highly reviewed, 30 day return with free shipping both ways. This is a completely wireless 5.1 (or 7.1) system, no avr required. Pricey though, at $3k for the 5.1. Do a search for Intimus wireless, all the reviews are glowing.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There are wireless systems, but many of them are only capable of low-quality transmission, which is not what you want for a good sound system.

The only high-quality wireless system that I know of is the Dynaudio XEO speakers.

They have a line of XEO speakers in various sizes that receive from a wireless transmitter module, but a system like that costs several thousand dollars. These are very high-quality speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

The only fully wireless system that I'm aware off is the Intimus system from Aperion. Very highly reviewed, 30 day return with free shipping both ways. This is a completely wireless 5.1 (or 7.1) system, no avr required. Pricey though, at $3k for the 5.1. Do a search for Intimus wireless, all the reviews are glowing.

Yikes!! eek.gif Thanks for these options, but that is way beyond the price point I was looking at for this application. I don't expect it to be the highest fidelity as it won't be any sort of a primary listening location. Think, wife wants to be able to listen to Sirius radio while drinking her coffee and reading a book. Perhaps I will consider some type of Sonos setup, unless I can find another (cheaper) alternative. Thanks again.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There's plenty of small, portable, wireless speakers. A lot has to do with your source. What is your intended source device? iPod, tablet, computer, iPhone (or Android), avr?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Most likely computer - either streaming or CD playback.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi AC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Obviously, I don't want to run wires up the walls where they are visible, and pulling wires through the walls or ceiling is far too time consuming. I'm looking for a wireless solution.
What will you do for power? Unless you get battery-powered speakers (not recommended), you are going to have to run power to those speakers. It might be just as easy to run speaker wire as power-cord.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The new Sonos Playbar works great as a standalone player. I just put one in my kitchen on top of the cabinets and it sounds awesome. It has to be hardwired (via ethernet) to your router, but you said this is in your office so I assume your router is there anyway, I can control the system completely from my iPod touch.

Be careful though, Sonos is more addictive than Crack, before you know it you will have a housefull of that stuff smile.gif

post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I actually looked into Sonos a while back - even ended up buying the bridge (yes, just the bridge, long story) - might have to look into this again. Not sure if that sale you mention applies to me, though, as I am in Canada.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page