Crossover Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My Sunfire Sub is set at 80 HZ. My fronts are rated down to 54 HZ, Center 65 HZ, 4 in wall surrounds 58 Hz.

All I want to know is do I set all the other speakers to 80 HZ or closer to their cutoff freqs. I am having trouble getting these settings to register in my thick skull.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, you usually wouldn't set the sub itself at 80HZ. You would set it at full range and let the avr handle the crossover. If your sub is crossed over at 80 though, I would also cross over the speakers at 80. The sub will handle the low frequencies better than your mains, after all, that's what it's made for. Plus, letting the sub handle the lower frequencies frees up some amp power and lets your other speakers play the mids and highs cleaner.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

nodnerd, thanks for the reply. My sub control is set at full range and the AVR does the crossing. So the way I finally got this to sink into my thick head is everything 80 HZ and below goes to the sub and 80 HZ and above goes to the rest of my speakers. Thanks again.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

nodnerd, thanks for the reply. My sub control is set at full range and the AVR does the crossing. So the way I finally got this to sink into my thick head is everything 80 HZ and below goes to the sub and 80 HZ and above goes to the rest of my speakers. Thanks again.

Turn the crossover/frequency on the back of the sub to off or at its maximum setting so that you let the AVR handle the crossover. Then put 80hz crossover for everything in the AVR with small setting for each speaker.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks dazkyl, thats what I already have done.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page