outside speaker wire / splicing different gauge wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello. I have 14g speaker wire throughout my house and was thinking of running an extension from my patio to the back of my yard, just to round out the volume as one walks around. My patio speakers are monoprice (5 1/2", 40w) which are just fine for me (ie i don't have a good ear). I am planning on the same for the yard speakers, which will each be 150' away from the splice/source point. thoughts on wire to run? A) is expensive direct burial cable necessary (or is landscaping wire the same?)? and B) is it an issue to splice a 16g wire to the existing 14g wire? C) other things that I should know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 174
16awg landscape light wire will be fine for that application. It is in fact too small a gauge based on HiFi guidelines but for yard speakers it will be fine.

Now what you do need to consider is the amp loading. If you put the yard speakers in parallel with the patio speakers, you will drop the impedance as mush as 50%. That may or may not be an issue.

Once you get beyond two speakers per channel, you are into a distributed music system and the design gets more complicated.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM

I have a similar question regarding splicing. I have yet to do the runs, but am wondering if I should run 16 AWG low-voltage outdoor lighting wire as "home-runs" back to my rack mount, or should I use 16 AWG CL2 wire for the majority of the run, and then splice in the outdoor just before I run it outdoors? I have never worked with the outdoor lighting wire, but I'm assuming it is less flexible and a bit more cumbersome to work with?

I'm connecting to 4 Monoprice 80w rock speakers.

Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravykid View Post

I have a similar question regarding splicing. I have yet to do the runs, but am wondering if I should run 16 AWG low-voltage outdoor lighting wire as "home-runs" back to my rack mount, or should I use 16 AWG CL2 wire for the majority of the run, and then splice in the outdoor just before I run it outdoors? I have never worked with the outdoor lighting wire, but I'm assuming it is less flexible and a bit more cumbersome to work with?

I'm connecting to 4 Monoprice 80w rock speakers.

I wouldn't worry about splicing speaker cables.

There are lots of different ways to do it and get a reliable result:

(1) Wire nuts

(2) Solder and tape

(3) Other splicing devices such as sold by 3M and others.

One thing not to do - twist the wires and tape.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/remotes-cables-accessories-tweaks/5808-comprehensive-guide-splicing-speaker-wire.html
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I wouldn't worry about splicing speaker cables.

There are lots of different ways to do it and get a reliable result:

(1) Wire nuts

(2) Solder and tape

(3) Other splicing devices such as sold by 3M and others.

One thing not to do - twist the wires and tape.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/remotes-cables-accessories-tweaks/5808-comprehensive-guide-splicing-speaker-wire.html

Thanks Arnyk!

I was planning on just using wire nuts, but wanted to get an expert opinion in case I was doing something blasphemous! Now if I could just find someplace in the Greater Toronto Area that sells the outdoor lighting wire!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Thanks Arnyk!

I was planning on just using wire nuts, but wanted to get an expert opinion in case I was doing something blasphemous! Now if I could just find someplace in the Greater Toronto Area that sells the outdoor lighting wire!

Don't you have Home Depot up there? And note you can also get exterior grade wire nuts used for sprinklers and landscaping lights. Look for them too.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Quote:

Thanks Arnyk!

Don't you have Home Depot up there? And note you can also get exterior grade wire nuts used for sprinklers and landscaping lights. Look for them too.

Their web site tells me that there are about 180 Canadian Home Deport, and there's Canadian Tire (much broader line than their name suggests) as well.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Their web site tells me that there are about 180 Canadian Home Deport, and there's Canadian Tire (much broader line than their name suggests) as well.

I was originally looking for a longer spool as the only sold them by about 25' lengths. Now that I know I'm ok to splice, I'll use my 16 AWG CL2 wire for the long run, and splice just before I go outside, so the smaller spools will suffice.

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers,

Matt
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page