does this really work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i saw a bunch of vids of people using bed foam like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Z-Boy-BigSleep-3-Convoluted-Foam-Topper/22991618 is use as acoustic foam for their HTs and studios. they didnt really say if it worked well, they just said how much it was and that it was cheap. has anyone tried this? is it worth the 30 bucks?

i was thinking if you used double thickness, it would be more effective and still less money than real foam

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotInvolved View Post

i saw a bunch of vids of people using bed foam like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Z-Boy-BigSleep-3-Convoluted-Foam-Topper/22991618 is use as acoustic foam for their HTs and studios. they didnt really say if it worked well, they just said how much it was and that it was cheap. has anyone tried this? is it worth the 30 bucks?

i was thinking if you used double thickness, it would be more effective and still less money than real foam

The problem with this product is that it is not specified as an acoustical absorber. Therefore it may be cheap, but it is mystery meat.

If someone has a acoustical measurement facility and could provide standardized information about how it absorbed sound, then things would be different.

Just because someone says something works well means very little. Most people tend to affirm their own choices.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

...Most people tend to affirm their own choices.

Amendment: Most people tend to affirm their own beliefs and choices as facts. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The problem with this product is that it is not specified as an acoustical absorber. Therefore it may be cheap, but it is mystery meat.

If someone has a acoustical measurement facility and could provide standardized information about how it absorbed sound, then things would be different.

Just because someone says something works well means very little. Most people tend to affirm their own choices.

i dont have a proper mic, but i will make a recording of me clapping in my room without the foam, then make a recording of me clapping with the foam and see if the echo is different. ind ill do this with books closing(for mid range sounds) and stuff like that.

if i get the foam today then ill make a thread

-speakers: cerwin vega vs120s, cerwin vega LS12s, cerwin vega at12s, jbl S36II, pok audio psw10, realistic mc1000, paradigm 7se MKII, sanyo sx600

yamaha rxv375
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page