Whole home and 5.1 fron the same source? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have pre-wiring for 5.1 in my living room and 6 more points for my whole home audio throughout the house (2 points on that same level, 2 more points in the basement and two out back for the future deck).

All the points terminate near where my future receiver will go (all in one spot)

Can one receiver double as my whole-home audio source and my 5.1 source? I'd be willing to spend up to $1k for a receiver/source. If not, then what does everyone suggest? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 12
Get an AV receiver with audio output and hook it up to a distribution amplifier.

A distribution amplifier allows you to run multiple speaker pairs. It improves the sound quality by adding an amplifier to the mix. This will give you more volume control at different locations. Distribution amplifiers range in price from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars depending on the number of channels, power output and sophistication of the controls. If you only plan to have one source and one volume control throughout your entire house, you can get by with a much less expensive distribution amp. If you want to control the volume in every zone separately..., it can get quite elaborate.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Jay
Jihme likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
this is exactly the type of answer i look for when i come to this site. i love this place. can i run different music for each channel/zone or is it all the same if i do it this way?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
This set up would only play the output of the AVR. So the same music through out the house.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page