Fairly Focused Speaker Placement Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings Learned Forum:

I have just purchased a new AVR (an Onkyo NR818) and have been reading the Audyssey thread in the receiver forum with great interest. Specifically, I have been learning about Audyssey DSX and its perceived benefits. As a result, I am considering changing the current placement of my speakers and would greatly appreciate some advice from our Forum.

My current setup is a 7.1 system. I have what I would consider to be "traditional" placements of my speakers, at least according to the information I had when making those original decisions 5 years ago: Center at 0, L & R at 30, LS & RS at 90, LB & RB at 150. None of my speakers are dipoles; all are direct firing. However, I now find myself with a receiver that supports Audyssey DSX. And that means I have new options. Specifically, LW & RW, which would be placed at 60.

So my basic question is, without acquiring additional speakers, would there be a benefit of moving my side surrounds, currently at 90, to 60. and utilizing the LW & RW outputs on my receiver instead of the LS & RS outputs? My use is 95% movies.

BONUS QUESTION!!!

If I were to acquire 2 additional speakers, what would your recommendations be? I will not be able to acquire the same brand of speakers, as the company is no longer in business. My assumption would to move the current side surrounds to the L & R Wide positions, and use the two new speakers as side surrounds back at 90. But I know full well what happens when I ASSUME.

EXTRA EXTRA BONUS QUESTION!!!

What are forum members' thoughts on the type of these potential new side surrounds: dipole or direct firing?

Thank you very much for your thoughts and opinions.

Just Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Wides do not take the place of surrounds. Moving the matching back surrounds to the wides will work.
As back surrounds are much less involving, then buy new speakers for the back surrounds...ones that are similar in type: ie: if your current speakers are 3-way with XO points of 800, 3000, then look for speakers with the same or close XO points and number of drivers.
Also try to find speakers that use at least the same type of tweeters; Al, Ti, soft dome, etc. as your current ones.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Denon disc player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly usbDAC.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page