Denon x2000 and Andrew Jones Pioneer Set a good match? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have purchased a Denon X2000 receiver and am currently using them with some of the 2012 Pioneer Andrew Jones Speakers (towers in front and bookshelf in the rear).

Is 95 watts be channel enough considering I might be upgrading to some Aperion towers in the future.

I realize that wattage alone is not a sufficient guideline and that impedance is also important but I mean it more as it applies to the Denon X2000. I've read many of the forum posts but at times I'm still left unsure so I finally decided why not ask.

Ps. I've also sampled the sub and its awful. Any suggestions on one that is around $300 and sounds good with movies and is still relatively decent with music. (My usage is about 30/70 music/movies).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Don't know either speaker but 95 w/ch should get you quite decent sound levels. Depends on what you're looking for in that regard. The Denon X2000 doesn't have preouts to use an outboard amp, so if you think you need more amp in the future you might look for an avr with pre-outs for all the channels. For a $300 sub best bang for the buck currently is the Klipsch RW12d at Newegg, but the sale is only periodic (there's one going on now thru the 17th).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 06-17-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Great thanks for the advice. I'm also a little concern about the future upgrade capabilities but I'm just out of grad school so I will be moving around alot for the first five years or so and I didn't want to risk premium speakers just so they could get damaged after every move.

I'll order the klipsch tonight.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrag0 View Post

Great thanks for the advice. I'm also a little concern about the future upgrade capabilities but I'm just out of grad school so I will be moving around alot for the first five years or so and I didn't want to risk premium speakers just so they could get damaged after every move.

I'll order the klipsch tonight.

Only thing you might want to watch on a receiver is if you get 4ohm rated speakers, as that something not many receiver amps handle well. Don't wait too long on the Klipsch, but for now its 350 with a 70 discount, so 280 shipped...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm pretty new around here, but I've done a lot of reading and actually ended up with almost the exact same setup as you. I grabbed a refurb 2113CI (which was the old version of the X2000) and a set of the Andrew Jones Bookshelves with an RW-12D sub. My speakers get more than loud enough for me with just the two, and I don't even have the matching towers.

Another key component here is speaker sensitivity. The more sensitive the speaker, the less power you need to reach a given volume. A lot less. Going from the BS22 to those Aperion towers you mentioned are a difference of 85db vs 88db, which is like doubling the output power of the amp. The FS52 measure at 87db, so the Aperions should be easier to power than your current towers.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about your AVR until you are spending a lot more money on speakers or have a need for extremely high volume. And you might have to spend a lot for a worthy improvement. Room treatment gets a lot of love around here too, and that might be worth it as well before you go spending $4000 on an AVR in a room with poor acoustics.