Pioneer elite+ Stream Direct=Amazing sound! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I own a vsx-60 pioneer elite AVR with a pair of definitive 8060-st's in a stereo setup I use for movies as well as music.I always loved the sound they produce with movies but music was another story.I listen to a lot of classical,jazz,dubstep and rock...funny combo I know...lol...but I was always finding myself either skipping songs frequently and not getting involved in the music like one should with good speakers.Like a lot of you I've EQ'ed my speakers and never enjoyed what that did so I turned that off and things sounded better but not quite right to my ears.I messed with about every setting to get things right and the only one that made me stop and say:WOW that sounds great!..was the stream direct setting...or pure direct on some AVR's.It took me about an hour to really appreciate this setting because I was so used to the EQ and other crap that was messing with the signal.The lowered noise floor and having a pure signal really brings things to life IMO.I now use this for music and movies and I can't say I'll go back to over processed and room corrected sound as in my tests on my speakers it does more harm than good.I would like to hear from the rest of you who like me enjoy the stream direct or pure direct sound over processed room corrected and EQ'ed sound...and if your experience is similar to mine.

Thanks

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any opinions?

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have listened to some automatic room corrected setups in demo rooms that were claimed to have very flat response that didn't have much magic or life to the music being played and I wasn't at all impressed especially given the speakers being used.

I do think that room correction can be useful, especially in the low bass frequencies where room interactions contribute to the sound as much as the speaker itself - so I am glad that some sub manufacturers are adding room EQ options to their subs (like Paradigm's PBK Perfect Bass Kit). There also some stand alone bass only room correction options for subs that don't come with this capability (like the Velodyne SMS-1). This bass only room correction allows you to use your "direct mode" (or separates without room correction) and still have the advantage of correction for low bass frequencies.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page