Help placing speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I have a "great room" with the living room and kitchen connected. I need some help placing my surround speakers for 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas? Here is my layout:

Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 10.57.34 AM.png 183k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 10.57.34 AM.png (183.5 KB, 42 views)
FamousRealName likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Being your seating is right up against the wall you are better off with only 5.1
But you don't say how you want to setup the surrounds...on stands or wall mount?
If wall mount, you might want to get a couple of pivot brackets mounted to the back wall so you can then aim the speakers more/less towards the center of the sofa.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jev55 View Post

I need some help placing my surround speakers for 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

You'll do much better to put your speakers in front of the wall on the right, firing down the length of the room toward the left. This has many advantages, and will also solve your current problem of surround speaker placement. More here:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

"If wall mount, you might want to get a couple of pivot brackets mounted to the back wall so you can then aim the speakers more/less towards the center of the sofa."

That's maybe what I was thinking. Trying to mount them high on the wall and pivoted and angled downwards towards the center of the couch. I think I am looking to wall mount. I have had speaker stands in the past and little kids absolutely LOVE to turn the over.

I did want to change the placement of the speakers and room layout so that they were firing down the length of the room and then I could place the surround speakers on the side walls; but that isn't going to happen. The wife has nixed that idea and we already have the TV wall mounted in the place where I have it in the picture.

So 7.1 with the L/R surrounds mounted high and pivoted inwards and slightly down with the other two rear speakers mounted right behind the couch on the wall angled downwards would be a bad idea??
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

"If wall mount, you might want to get a couple of pivot brackets mounted to the back wall so you can then aim the speakers more/less towards the center of the sofa."

That's maybe what I was thinking. Trying to mount them high on the wall and pivoted and angled downwards towards the center of the couch. I think I am looking to wall mount. I have had speaker stands in the past and little kids absolutely LOVE to turn the over.

I did want to change the placement of the speakers and room layout so that they were firing down the length of the room and then I could place the surround speakers on the side walls; but that isn't going to happen. The wife has nixed that idea and we already have the TV wall mounted in the place where I have it in the picture.

So 7.1 with the L/R surrounds mounted high and pivoted inwards and slightly down with the other two rear speakers mounted right behind the couch on the wall angled downwards would be a bad idea??

If you already have the extra speakers to do 7.1, you could rig the surround rear speakers temporary on a couple of ladders and listen to some 7.1 tracks to see if they made much of a improvement. My seating is against the back wall and I did this and concluded that it didn't make a improvement I could appreciate in my room. The surround L&R were bipoles and the surround rears were monopoles of the same brand. So even though I had the surround rear locations prewired and I already have the extra speakers on hand, it didn't make sense to me to mount extra speakers if they don't improve the sound.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I agree with toddRiffic.

Without some distance behind the listener and the rear speakers, I would think, the rear channel of the 7.1 configuration will have minimal impact. Unless you already have the speakers, the 2 extra speakers would seem to be an expense you would gain very little from. The side surrounds will do their job and encompass you well-enough.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:

Yes. One of the hallmarks of a 7.1 layout is distinct rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. Impossible to do that when your couch is against the back wall and there is no space behind you for the rear speakers.

Better to do a good 5.1 layout rather than shoe-horn more speakers into a poor 7.1 layout. If you are determined to use more speakers, you can do height speakers up front (placed higher and wider than your front speakers). Will add a bit of vertical dimension, turn a ring of sound into more of a bubble of sound.
FamousRealName likes this.

Sanjay
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

One needs to have space between the sides and rears, with your sofa against the wall, there is nothing to be gained going 7.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post

If you already have the extra speakers to do 7.1, you could rig the surround rear speakers temporary on a couple of ladders and listen to some 7.1 tracks to see if they made much of a improvement. My seating is against the back wall and I did this and concluded that it didn't make a improvement I could appreciate in my room. The surround L&R were bipoles and the surround rears were monopoles of the same brand. So even though I had the surround rear locations prewired and I already have the extra speakers on hand, it didn't make sense to me to mount extra speakers if they don't improve the sound.

Exactly, there needs to be fair distances between the sides/rears and seat/rears. I've yet to see a situation with the seating against the rear wall where there was any benefit to adding rear surrounds.
In fact, its a better idea to place the side surrounds in the corners placed @ 45* angles. Which then gives you the best compromise between having side surrounds and rear surrounds.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

"In fact, its a better idea to place the side surrounds in the corners placed @ 45* angles"

-This sounds like a really good idea actually. Would you guys recommend bi-pole speakers? Or just standard front firing?

-I will probably stick with 5.1. If there is no benefit for 7.1 in my room I won't spend any extra money.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

we already have the TV wall mounted in the place where I have it in the picture.

In that case you really need either absorption or diffusion on the wall directly behind your head to reduce those very strong "early" reflections.

--Ethan

post #11 of 14 Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

"In that case you really need either absorption or diffusion on the wall directly behind your head to reduce those very strong "early" reflections."

- I have some homemade sound panels hung on the wall behind the couch. I was thinking they would work well.

Any thoughts on whether I should use bi-pole speakers?
post #12 of 14 Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I vote bipole, I used monopoles for over ten years and then bipoles for about eight years in four different rooms. I've never heard a advantage to monopoles when I compared them in any of those rooms as someone who's focus is on movies personally.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have some homemade sound panels hung on the wall behind the couch. I was thinking they would work well.

Home made is fine, but for that particular location the panels need to be very thick. I'd say three inches thick is a minimum, and six inches is better still.
Quote:
Any thoughts on whether I should use bi-pole speakers?

I'm not a fan of that type of speaker for several reasons. These days, high quality conventional "box" speakers are not that expensive.

--Ethan

post #14 of 14 Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Welp, this made my diagram look like a stick figure next to a Van Gogh. lol. But good info here. How much space is between you and the screen? And what kind of receiver are you working with?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page