Speaker Placement Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mijotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Using Infinity 150's for sides and Infinity OWS-1's for the rears

1. Do I keep the side and rear surrounds the same height or is it ok for the rears to be a little higher?

2. I've read the sides should be slightly above the ear and also 2 feet above the ear. Which is preferable?

3. Do I angle the side and rear surrounds down so they are pointing right at the main seating position?

mijotter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Milford, CT, USA
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
1. All speakers should be the same height.

2. I've read that too, but it's old advice based on obsolete information.

3. All speakers should be pointed at the main / center listening position.

More here:

How to set up a room
Grammy Surround Standards

--Ethan
mijotter likes this.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Ethan Winer is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It's useless to talk about placing the speaker until you determine the location of the midrange driver within the speaker enclosure.

The MIdrange Driver needs to be slightly above the listening ear level (if the speaker sits level).

Have someone measure the distance from the center of your ears to the floor when in your normal listening position.

Then try to position the speakers so that the center of the midrange driver is at that height or slightly higher.

If a speaker is angled up or down, of course, then the midrange driver should be "aimed" at the ear location.

With floorstanding speakers, using adjustable feet or spikes front and rear and adjusting the speaker "tilt" will aim the midrange speaker further up or down as needed.
mijotter likes this.
commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mijotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Awesome thanks guys. My rears will have to be a little higher than the sides because of things on the back wall. Would it then be prudent to angle the rears down to point them at my ears at that point?

mijotter is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
mijotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Found out the Infinity 150's have no mid only low and high range drivers. Will they still sound good as side surrounds or should I look in to something with a mid?

Also, the sides will be about 33" from the listeners ear. Is this too close? Can Audyssey make up for this if it is? Thanks.

mijotter is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Milford, CT, USA
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Would it then be prudent to angle the rears down to point them at my ears at that point?

Yes, though angling speakers is always a compromise.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Ethan Winer is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Tyrone Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK,Cheshire
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I plan to use floor standing speakers for my fronts, and surround left and rights too, but I have seen graphs that show different ways of putting the surround left and surround right speakers. In the Dolby site it shows for a 5.1 which I can only have, that the surround L/R speakers should be placed each left and right side of you're seating position. But then there are others that say the Surround L/R should be behind you and they should be split apart at an angle like Ethan's graph shows.

What's the right way to place them?

Tyrone Burton is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Found out the Infinity 150's have no mid only low and high range drivers. Will they still sound good as side surrounds or should I look in to something with a mid?

Side and rear surrounds don't have to be super-duper to give good results if properly positioned. Infinty 150s can work well in systems with very high quality L, R, center and subwoofer(s).
Quote:
Also, the sides will be about 33" from the listeners ear. Is this too close? Can Audyssey make up for this if it is? Thanks.

It's worth a try!
arnyk is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I plan to use floor standing speakers for my fronts, and surround left and rights too, but I have seen graphs that show different ways of putting the surround left and surround right speakers. In the Dolby site it shows for a 5.1 which I can only have, that the surround L/R speakers should be placed each left and right side of you're seating position. But then there are others that say the Surround L/R should be behind you and they should be split apart at an angle like Ethan's graph shows.

What's the right way to place them?

There are lots of right way to position sides and rear speakers.

You want to avoid sonic holes between the speakers.
arnyk is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Milford, CT, USA
Posts: 5,748
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

What's the right way to place them?

The information in my Room Setup article above is based on standards established by the NARAS wing of the Grammys, also linked above. This is how the people who actually create surround mixes set up their monitoring. So if you do the same, you'll come closest to hearing what they heard. (Assuming you also have proper acoustics and treatment in your room.)

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Ethan Winer is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Tyrone Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK,Cheshire
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

The information in my Room Setup article above is based on standards established by the NARAS wing of the Grammys, also linked above. This is how the people who actually create surround mixes set up their monitoring. So if you do the same, you'll come closest to hearing what they heard. (Assuming you also have proper acoustics and treatment in your room.)

--Ethan
Ahh I see. Well then it only seems proper to set it up that way, thanks for the info.

Tyrone Burton is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
SkyG22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Varying the angle of the surround, is that an issue?I have a room where its impossible to line up surrounds without having them be at the back corner of the room making it approximately 150 degrees from viewer.The best i can do is left 90 @ degrees and right @ 115 degrees. Is this angle a concern for accurate surround sound? I've read through the forums that distance isn't an issue due to calibration adjusting for it, but how about angle of the speaker location to viewer? Speakers are Pioneer BS22 .Thanks

SkyG22 is offline  
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off