Rear Surround Sound Speaker IN Wall (Couch Up Against Wall) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Would it be worth it to place rear surround sound speakers IN the wall behind a couch, that is backed up directly to the wall, in a 7.1 surround sound setup? I have seen many variances of this question in my research, but not once mention of placing the speakers in the wall. In my case, such speakers would be about 18 inches directly behind the listener or more if moved laterally.

Then again, I have also read that setting up a 5.1 system well often beats a 7.1 system that is configured marginally….

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Sitting directly in front of a reflecting rear wall is about the worst place you can be. Is there any way you can change that? If you can post a photo or drawing that will help. In the mean time, this article explains the basics:

How to set up a room

I also agree that a proper 5.1 setup is better than a poor 7.1 setup.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ethan,

Okay, I admit it. Reading your link initially made my eyes glass over and I am normally a pretty smart guy. Then I hunkered in on the details and before you know it, I was on a step ladder with a tape measure and calculator trying to visualize sound waves with the obsessiveness worthy of medication. Then my wife caught me. HA! I am not a true audiophile. I just want my surround sound system to sound as good as I can make it within reason and yup, laziness. At the same time, I so appreciate the ears of those with a more discriminating taste in fine audio quality.

My dedicated mini theater is a 14' deep by 15' wide (and 9' ceiling), with doors and windows making it illogical to place the couch anywhere other than up against the wall that it is. I have four Polk RM8 satellite speakers available to use for side/rear surround sound units (with Polk RM 7500 front speakers and PSW350 subwoofer). The RM8's also have Polk's wide dispersion array feature, further "deepening" the sound, HA, at least as far as my marginally trained ears can tell. My idea was to buy in-wall speaker covers for two of the RM8's and set them in a larger custom built cavity either directly behind the main seating position or more laterally. This would at least give some distance to work with; 18 inches normally and maybe 36" if I moved the couch out from the wall when I really wanted better sound effects.

So, I know that you want to boost my Volkswagen Beetle to the performance of a Ferrari, but can you (or anyone else reading) just help me make the drive to the store relatively efficiently?

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can't move anything, then at least put some thick absorbers on the wall behind your head. That alone will make a huge improvement.

--Ethan

post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ethan,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. However, any comment on putting my 7.1 rear surround speakers in the wall?

Peace,
Dr. Z.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a 7. system so I can't comment based on personal experience. But those extra speakers are supposed to go on the rear wall, yes? In that case, putting them in the wall (at ear height) is actually better than on stands or a shelf in front of the wall. All speakers are best placed in a wall!

--Ethan

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page